there's a better fingerpick...

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

there's a better fingerpick...

Postby helena_junkie » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:43 pm

Hey all,

I've been picking my brain for something to contribute here...

I knew I wanted the fingerpick tone, but I couldn't find any that I could stand to use. Not touching the strings was just too much for me.

Then I found these:

[http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK47SP-L.htm]

I thought some of you might find the above useful. I just got to thinking about last night when I realized that the two I was playing with were the only two I had! Time to place an order. I'm also going to check out those nickel/delrin-tipped thumbpicks...

Later,
helena_junkie
Regular

RE: there's a better fingerpick...

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:35 pm

I've mainly been playing with a thumbpick and fingernails, but I've been trying to get used to Alaska Picks for a while now.

http://www.elderly.com/brand/ALASKA%20PIK.html

Similar in that they also allow your finger to touch the strings. But I've been curious about those ProPics.

Did you find them to particularly easy to get used to?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:46 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-04 AT 03:51 PM (EST)]I tried those, they don't work for me. Too light.

These I like;

http://www.elderly.com/images/tiny/acce ... /AP51C.jpg

http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?t ... &x=10&y=11

I can get a lot of volume out of the guitar, and I can get a lovely "hammer dulcimer" -like effect to boot.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:48 pm

Acri makes a nice thumbpick, too, but I prefer these;

http://www.bigcitystring.com/pgt.htm

http://www.bigcitystring.com/pgt02.gif
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Hello,
I have used a Pickboy chrome slide for ages, and I have found some madd pink Dayglo Pickboy thumbpicks with a rigid but narrow blade.

I started looking to reduce the blade size after a Martin Simpson workshop, his are tiny multi coloured numbers whose name I forget.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:21 pm

For thumbpics I like the white plastic Nationals.

A while back, I saw some in a local music store's "pickle jug" along with a bunch of other brands. I bought a couple, and when I got home I noticed that these particular National thumbpicks were really wide compared to the ones I had seen before. really very comfortable. When I went back a few days later to buy some more, they were gone. Undoubtedly they're making them wider now? I hope so. I've gotten used to how comfortable these are. I'd hate to go back to the skinny ones.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby littleboyblue » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:29 pm

Might have to try one of them fingerpicks. I just can't use regular fingerpicks at all. As far as thumbpicks go I can't use those either. I seem to play with the front corner of my thumb, not the side where the picks point at. So whenever I try the thumbpick the angle of attack is all wrong. I'm thinking of trying to make my own that points forward at an angle and is very stubby.
littleboyblue
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:43 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-04 AT 11:44 AM (EST)]I really dislike the sound of a thumb pick on a reso; not enough ooomph or something. A regular pick sounds fine, as suporting it with my first finger seems to help, but I would rather have my fingers free for picking as well. Perhaps the plastic just isn't stiff enough in the pick? the one I tried on my reso is a Herco one, shaped like a flatpick.

I use to use thumbpicks all the time playing acoustic and electric, as trying to learn to use a pick after years of playing only with my fingers, I kept dropping the damn thing into my guitar.

>So whenever I
>try the thumbpick the angle of attack is all wrong. I'm
>thinking of trying to make my own that points forward at an
>angle and is very stubby.

I used National ones, I think, and I trimmed them very close, as it felt very weird to me as well to have the tip so far from my thumb. Perhaps I should find one of those and try it on the reso... though I suppose my hand might have grown since I was 13.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby david » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:06 am

I don't like plastic thumbpick sound, either. I use a Dunlop metal thumb pick and the Alaska style metal finger picks.

I would prefer to not use picks, but I can't get the precision on the bass lines without a pick, and using a thumb pick makes bare fingers too muted.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cband » Tue May 04, 2004 2:35 pm

I finally received a pile of the fingertone finger picks. I'm brand new to finger picking, both with fingers and with picks but these fingertones are really interesting. You can almost infinitely adjust the angle of the pick, allowing you to adjust the amount of "finger" tone versus metal pick tone. I have mine set so if you pick lightly you get all finger; press a little more and you get the metal sound over that - harder still and it's almost all metal. You can also adjust tone by just slightly rolling your fingers forward or back. They are also really lightweight and the split wrap adjusts to just about any finger. Well worth a try - like having several picks in one.

[http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK47SP-L.htm]
cband
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 04, 2004 4:15 pm

I like Guptil's Sharpie Propiks, which are the basic National style metal fingerpick perfected. Their tips are very sharp for a bright, loud tone, and they're angled so you don't have to put 'em on crooked like i got used to doing with the Dunlops.
ricochet
Regular

Postby alias » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Anyone know of lighter gauge finger and thumbpicks?
I'm using the standard gauge plastic Dunlop set.
I like the fit but would prefer something lighter.
Can't seem to find anything in my area.
alias
Regular

Postby picker » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:06 am

>Anyone know of lighter gauge finger and thumbpicks?
>I'm using the standard gauge plastic Dunlop set.
>I like the fit but would prefer something lighter.
>Can't seem to find anything in my area.

Herco makes a hybrid thumpick with a blade the same size and shape as a regular guitar pick, and they make them in light, medium, and heavy gauges. You might try them. Don't know about lighter gauge fingerpicks.
picker
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:48 pm

For the thumbpick, have you tried the Fred Kelly Speed Pick? Skinny flexible tab, works well for strumming both ways if you're used to doing that with your thumb. Comes in several grades of stiffness.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby technoweezie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:42 pm

I saw a post from a banjo player a while ago that made a good case for Ernie Ball Pickey's; so I got some plus a set of the ProPiks.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK7.htm

I'm still making up my mind however the Pickey's are cool because you can still feel the strings with your fingertips and you can adjust how much of the pick you bring to bear on the strings. I think some people just get regular National style picks and file them down.

Technoweezie
-
Better living through gadgetry!
technoweezie
Regular

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!