UPS nightmare

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: UPS nightmare

Postby maxx england » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:22 am

When Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister here, a programme called "Care In The Community" was instituted. This meant many mental health patients were sent out into the world from hospitals to live as out patients. It now appears that many of them have emigrated and found jobs as drivers in the USA.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Some of us are old enough to remember the Samsonite ads with angry gorillas slamming their luggage around in their cages. I think those gorillas now work for UPS.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

lol, this is NOT a thread I should have read right now. Im waitin for my johnson in the mail and the seller already gave me the wrong tracking number. I believe he offered a 2 week warranty, but I'd still like to get an undamaged guitar in the mail.
savage
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:50 am

Hope springs eternally. :)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 am

>but I'd still like to get an undamaged guitar
>in the mail.

If you are all having that much trouble, can I offer a suggestion?

Send a crate or other suitably bombproof container to your supplier complete with enough impact absorbent packaging to accept your instrument/s. Have the object of your affection shipped back to you in it with a reasonable degree of certainty you will have the thing in the same number of pieces the manufacturer supplied.

This is an expensive way of doing things but when you can spend £$ X,000 on an instrument, isn't it worth the effort?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:43 pm

well, he is shipping it in the hardshell case it comes with. If anything is damages ill just take him up on that warranty, lol.
savage
Regular

Postby david iii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:47 pm

Well, I did it by posting. The guitar I ordered on Monday... got a FedEx tracking number Tuesday showing it left MF's Kansas shipping point... and then absolutely nothing. So, for the past day and a half, it's been on a truck (I guess) that is going very slow, since it's about a two-hour drive from Kansas to here.
Oh, well. Somebody will figure out it's lost in a week or two.
david iii
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:58 am

Have you people got your babies delivered safely yet?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 am

Some of us are old enough to remember the Samsonite ads with angry gorillas slamming their luggage around in their cages. I think those gorillas now work for UPS.

Here's to truth in advertising-

My band uses half a dozen old Samsonite suitcases for road cases. We got 'em in all sizes, mostly grey and black in color. The stuff is tough as nails. You can find them for next to nothing at second hand stores and they're great for hauling around cables, lights, foot pedals, hand percussion...almost anything you can think of. With a little foam padding, some spray adhesive and some creative thinking you can a make a custom case for almost anything.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david iii » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:10 pm

My guitar (well, maybe not, since I've not seen it)... arrived in California on September 1 according to the FedEx website. Since I'm in Missouri and it shipped from MF in Kansas, I am not sure what happened. But, no sign that it's left California. I expect to either have to cancel the order (and already emailed MF about that) or return a flat box of broken guitar parts if it ever does get here.
david iii
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:15 am

Update anyone?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david iii » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Well, my guitar did show up - the box looked like it had been around the world but MF's packing was outstanding because not a problem with the guitar itself. Very strange how the package just seemed to disappear on the FedEx website and then it magically showed up at my front door.....
Next week, a guy in Pennsylvania will be shipping me a motorcycle seat via UPS. Should be interesting to see where it travels to end up here.
david iii
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:46 pm

yeah, my johnson ended up headin to hialeah(FL) before they sent it back up north to my house (it was delivered outa jersey). I posted this in a different section a while ago, but the guitar and case were in great condition. not a scratch or dent on it (until i bumped it into a weight set in my room).
savage
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:54 am

>lol, this is NOT a thread I should have read right now. Im waitin for my johnson in the mail ...
>yeah, my johnson ended up headin to hialeah(FL) before they sent it back up north to my house ...

hmm... ;)that johnson of yours does get around, no?
jaybee
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:59 pm

I got one! I ordered a few little odds and ends from Musicians Friend, some picks, a bridge pin puller and a pedal tuner that was on sale for $20. I got my tracking info as usual and knew the day of delivery, I had even checked on that day and it indeed was "out for delivery". The truck drove past my house twice. I live in a rural area, so there is only one truck and it passed me twice without stopping. I called UPS hoping they could contact the driver before he got too far, and also to make sure he hadn't left it at a neighbors. I was assured that they would not leave a package without having me sign for it. Yeah right, I have yet to sign for a package and find them left on my porch all the time. I get my neighbors stuff a lot too. Well, sure enough the web site for UPS now said, unable to deliver .. rescheduled. Now this was Friday so I'm looking at nothing till Monday. Now on Monday, after driving my son back to college I see the package on my porch. Won't leave it without signing RIGHT! It is accordianed on one end. There is a computer print out of the tracking info that said it was out for delivery and no attempt was made to deliver it with a hand written note that said, "Paul, this was not delivered, make sure you deliver it today!". The glass cover to my pedal tuner was no longer attached to the pedal, guess it's hard to hurt picks. Do you suppose old Paul picked up my package after reading the note and gave it his best fastball to the back of his delivery truck and kicked it a few times for good measure? That will teach me to call won't it.
trguitar
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!