Played a Christmas party by sheer chance

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Played a Christmas party by sheer chance

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Last week I was in Virginia and at the motel I was checking email, BRB and other regular internet visits. I looked on Craigslist and under musicians, I saw a heading with my name. That was weird. I clicked on it and a small, local restaurant was looking for me. I had played there a few times over the summer during a festival time and they had lost my number. I called them up and they wanted me to play at the restaurant for a private party they were having in four days (Last Saturday). I agreed to play and didn't even discuss money only because they paid well the times I played there before.

So, I play the party and take another guy from my band with me. Man, talk about fun. They had tons of food and refreshments which they insisted we partake of. We didn't have any need to try and figure out what they wanted to hear. We just played what we felt like playing and the folks were singing and having a good time. This place is in the shadow of the steel mills and the more on the edge the music was, the better they liked it, whether it was honkey tonk hillbilly or blues or whatever. We broke out stuff from Soggy Bottom Boys and Dwight Yoakam to Muddy Waters, Alice Cooper to Christmas songs, they ate it up. Really just a nice bunch of working people having real good time. We got some tips and when we left, the owner took good care of us. Playing is usually fun but that was as good as it gets for me.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Re: Played a Christmas party by sheer chance

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Now that was awesome, to run across an ad looking for you to play! :mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Yeah, it was truly a first for me. The owner said he didn't know what else to do so he just ran an ad in Craigslist hoping either I would see it or some other musician I know would see it and tell me.As it turned out, I saw it and then got emails from other players sayin' " Hey man, you better check out Craigslist". Best of all, it turned out to be so much fun. We were part of the party.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Because you wrote this posting we know you're still alive, but for that it sounds almost like you visited Valhalla for a night. You didn't mention any blond goddesses so that makes it an almost Valhalla, but close enough! :wink:
You make my mouth water. 8)
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to About Gigs