Anyone have a single coil they aren't using?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Anyone have a single coil they aren't using?

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 am

I need a single coil, preferably of decent quality, for my Strat project. I'm open to anything.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Anyone have a single coil they aren't using?

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:01 pm

And I'll pay for it, obviously.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Alton » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any single coils lying about.

Since bucks are probably thin and you're experimenting You might take a look at GFS. You can get a completely wired pickguard with single coils/buckers/etc. for as little as $32.95 + shipping. Check them out:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html

Here's just the pickup selection if you want just a set or a single pup:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

On the left side of the page are all the parts you'll need for a strat or tele. Be sure to check out the Clearance section. Great service. Be sure to check the ads carefully as some parts will fit ALL strats and some will fit only MIM strats and some will only work on other imported strats (Squiers and non-Fender copies).

I've purchased other parts from them (see their shielding kits and the aluminum piece for under the pickguard along with "Gibson-ish" parts) and recently purchased a wired pickguard to replace a horrible set on a Squier. It was the all white set. I just sold the guitar to my other guitar player. He really liked the sound. Good strat sound without the excessive "quack" on the old set. Plenty of output. Great for experimenting. Basically you get a complete set for less than the cost of a single big name pup.
Alton
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:40 am

I've dealt with GFS before and the pickups I've gotten from them were pure shit. So many people rave about their stuff, but I must say, the pickups I bought from them sucked so bad. I bought a matched set of their lipstick pickups and they sucked.

I already have two pickups, a bridge pickup and a neck pickup, so I need a middle pickup.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:19 am

Depends on what turns up, but guitar shops may well have cheap and perfectly acceptable pickups that have been taken out of instruments that have been upgraded by them. I got 2 humbuckers for £20, the Duncan Design makes a plywood banjo of a cheap guitar play T Bone Walker.

Go on, investigate, whay have you got to lose?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michaelm » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm

lefty, I put one of these $30 pickups from MF in a lap steel with good results.
It's loud and bright and, IMO, the next step up would be 3X the price.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=300136

I'd send you the old one, but it's deader than a doornail. HTH and good luck finding a pup.
michaelm
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Michael, that looks like it's a Tele bridge sized pickup? Would it fit in a standard Strat pickguard?

There's just something about putting a humbucker in a Strat that makes me cringe though.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby michaelm » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:46 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Michael, that looks like it's a Tele bridge sized pickup? Would it fit in a standard Strat pickguard?

Actually, lefty, I don't think that it's any 'standard' size. I thought that it would drop in for the Strat-type pup in the steel, but it took some filing to get it there. And it's definitely smaller than the bridge pickup in my Tele. You might want to read some of the customer comments on the MF site. I think that a few people there mentioned filing out Strat pickguards and enlarging pickup cavities.

also leftyguitarman wrote:There's just something about putting a humbucker in a Strat that makes me cringe though.

I can dig that. This pup's got three or four wires, so you can split the coils. I have a switch on mine to select single-coil or humbucker mode
and, truth be told, I can't really hear much difference in the sound.

On further reflection, as much as I like this little pup, I've got to wonder if comes anywhere near your initial requirement. I hope at least some of that makes some sense.
michaelm
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 pm

leftyguitarman wrote: There's just something about putting a humbucker in a Strat that makes me cringe though.

Bad! Dirty! Smack! Go and stand in the naughty corner! Come back when you've got over your humbuckery! :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 am

maxx england wrote:Bad! Dirty! Smack! Go and stand in the naughty corner! Come back when you've got over your humbuckery! :mrgreen:

I like humbuckers. Just not in Strats. It's a sin to put a humbucker in a Strat.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:48 am

I won't tell of my plans to add humbuckers and piezo's and all sorts of crazy when I next spot a dirt cheap guitar! oh. and the strat with an acoustic style bridge.

I plan on making people "who know" stare in disbelief!
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

I just scored a deal on a mid position Texas Special from a member on another forum so I don't need a single coil anymore. This guitar is going to be one hell of a project..... :wha:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 am

I bought my Strat in 1994, threw out the original Texas specials after a year or two because" more output x same 6-cycle hum = more hum"

I replaced them with Seymour Duncan Little '59s - yes, humbuckers - and no one EVER noticed I played a Strat with humbuckers... on the contrary, I usually got compliments on my tone...

about a year ago, I was in a "back to the future" mood and -stupid, stupid, stupid - took out the humbuckers and replaced them with "the real thing" - well, almost real anyway: a set of single coils made by a local guitar builder / pick up winder who is highly regarded around here. The result: the strat hardly gets played anymore, because it sounds too wimpy, no tone, nothing... now if only I could find the time (and my soldering iron), I'd have those humbuckers back in before anyone could yell "heresy" :roll:

as far as I'm concerned: "it's not what you have IN it, it's what comes OUT that counts" 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm

jaybee wrote:the strat hardly gets played anymore, because it sounds too wimpy, no tone, nothing...

Turn up the amp?

I love the low-output single coils in my Strat.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bignick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Lefty the Lipstick pickups DO suck from GFS.

However, as I recall that was a lipstick phase for you and you really weren't crazy about them after you put them in your strat. They are always going to be lower output. The GFS lipsticks are really low output and they don't chime at all IMO.

Don't let them turn you off of all of their pickups. Their 64 Greybottom Staggers are absolute butter. I LOVE them. I need to get a new set of them soon as I sold the guitar they were in.

Texas Specials are great pickups too.
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues