Re-Stringing Reso

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re-Stringing Reso

Postby La.Blue » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:17 am

I have been wondering how much effect putting light gauge strings on my Republic single cone would make. I mainly play in standard tuning and the set-up with medium gauge strings is sort of stiff.

I couldn't find much info online about lights on a reso so I ran an experiment and videoed a demo. Please ignore the clams :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8lE3ZsyRXs

This may be helpful to anyone else with the same question.
La.Blue
Regular

Re: Re-Stringing Reso

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 am

I've got nickel electric 12s on my tricone right now. Not bad.
ricochet
Regular

Postby La.Blue » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 am

So far, I'm liking the feel of the lights. I played it at the weekly Cajun jam that I go to last Sunday. The drop in volume was noticeable amongst the fiddles and accordians. But for the solo and duo playing that I do the most of, the volume loss wasn't noticeable. And it is a lot easier to play. :D
La.Blue
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:14 am

Go ahead put a set of 11's on it and see if you like it.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 pm

I have been noticing that the 12s on my tricone, while sounding OK for my usual low volume playing around the house, won't put out the volume that a set of Martin Resonator Guitar strings will. OTOH, when I went all the way up to a .017-.070" set, it didn't really work as well either. There's a sweet spot for string gauge and tension.
ricochet
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:38 am

Speaking of guages.....I have nickel 10's on my cheapo-reso.
Would the volume increase putting on a set of lights or mediums.......
tinsmith
Regular

Postby DaveG » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:46 am

I have the Rouge wood body Triolian. If that's any indication you should be happy with this one. I look forward to hearing how it stacks up.
DaveG
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Tinsmith, I think you'd get some volume increase going up to a set of 13s or so.
ricochet
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 am

Thanx Rico...

Next question......nickel or p bronze.

It's set up like an electric more than an acoustic.....2 pick-ups.....I'm thinking beef up the guage for enjoyment on the couch.

Still fun to occassionally pick up & diddle with. Someday I hope to graduate to what the big boys have....
http://www.jayturser.com/jt-res.php
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:45 am

Personally, I'd go with the nickel. I like their sound on resos (and acoustics), even without a pickup. They'll give a better signal through a magnetic pickup than the bronze wound ones, which only have the steel core wire to deform the magnetic field. I had a very experienced player and tech on another board argue against my opinion a few days ago; he likes the PB. YMMV.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 am

Tinsmith, if your reso has magnetic pickups, then I don't think phosphor bronze strings will work very well. I might be wrong here, but I thought magnetic pickups didn't pick up the vibrations from phosphor bronze but just their inner steel core.

I would stay away from phosphor bronze strings on a reso if I were you. I used to use them exclusively, but since I bought the Martin Bluegrass resonator set, which are nickel strings, the volume and overall tone of my resonator got a lot better.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 am

My pickup cheapo-reso has a mini humbucker & a piezo.....bridge jobby. I agree with Rico, the nickel would should be better, after all, we're lookin' for a tinnie, raspier sound anyway.
As for p bronze, I also have a Sunrise, which I put on my Guild occasionally & the pickup quality volume is incredible. I'm told to turn it down so the drummer can be heard......my point is, both can be good. I also have a fishman eq/di preamp to help back it up.

I guess I was tryin' to make this reso into something it can't be.
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues