Looks like I'm Playing Bass again.

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Re: Looks like I'm Playing Bass again.

Postby BobHolland » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Giging tonight. Original drummer that had to quit because of job. Went back to old job & came back to the band. Glory, Glory. Feels good now. Older & experienced & likes the music & actually listens to the songs outside of practice. Even bought some upgrades to his drum kit.
:D :) :D :) :D

BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Buenificimo Bob! I hope you didn't say "I knew you'd be back", lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BobHolland » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 am

Actually he left just as I started in the band. He was there for one practice & had to quit.
Tonight the crowd was a little light but the people there had a good time & got up & danced. The groove was working. It's still a country band but I overheard that another player that left before I joined the band may also be back & he loved to play the blues. He plays guitar, slide guitar & steel guitar.
:D
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

If I hadn't been the bass player in a country band, I'd think you were describing me!

We used to drive the singer nuts, because he was steeped in top-40 C&W. During sound check the lead player and I would get into some raunchy blues while the singer went out front and listened to the sound. Then he'd jump back on stage and try to join in -- he had no concept of a backbeat. The first time we ran through The Thrill is Gone, it was "Porter Wagonner does BB." Fortunately, he responded to coaching.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm

We played a film festival banquet on Sunday and we were doin' mostly rock and folk/rock stuff. The crowd was doin' fine. When we came back from a break I got on my keyboard (I play mostly harp) and just started warmin' up with some blues boogie instrumental as the boys were makin' their way back to the stage. Everybody jumped in on the schlock tune and we got the warmest response of the gig. I thought it was humorous, and proof that everybody has some affinity for the blues, but some of 'em don't wanna hear too much.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

It occurs to me that much of the pleasure of playing in bands is not the rote repetition of each song, but the interaction between the members and the way the music evolves. If you start out with some people of good will who are not necessarily on the same page musically, that can prolong the enjoyment,
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:07 pm

This is January 16 & yet the singer has hired another drummer. Last night was his first gig & a few loose spots but the groove & energy level was there. It was a lot of fun. Small crowd but they stayed & danced all night. The girlies were moving & groovin' to the beat. The last drummer got offended on New Years night when his crazy girl friend was asked to leave the bar by the owner. She was drunk & hittin' on just about every guy in the place & some of the women were getting a little PO'd if you know what I mean. So he just quit at the end of the night & left. Hopefully this will be the right combination for this band. Singer just bought a trailer so traveling will be easier. I'm feeling good about it. Now if the money part will just get a little better. HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:51 pm

I've always been tempted to letter a motto on the front of my bass: "This device shakes butts."
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Well it was good while it lasted. The country band just didn't make it.
The search is on for a new gig. I just hope that this time I enjoy it more.
Country music is OK. Especially old country.
I'm was just not into the new country pop music.
Maybe I can even find a place in a blues band. :wha:
Just an update.
Wish me luck.
Bobby
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:01 pm

You'll find it. I'm not only playing bass a LOT, I'm now doing it with my AV '57 P through a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout that just returned from a factory warranty repair and circuit upgrade and I'm in bass heaven -- we play what we like and are doing some interesting music again. It'll happen -- go with the flow.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Maybe I should change the title to:

"Looks like I'm not playing bass again"

But I will be soon, I hope. :roll:
BobHolland
Regular

Re: Looks like I'm Not Playing Bass again with a Band.

Postby BobHolland » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:03 am

I have decided to just take a break from the music business for a while. I think I'll just let things happen. If a gig comes along it does, if it don't it don't. I'll keep practicing my bass licks & listen to a lot of music at home for now. I can do this. :wha: :blink: :wha:
Bob
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Man, isn't that the way. Right now I'm playing bass in a duo, and people keep stopping by for boogie therapy (we played four hours last night). No gigs, other than at senior centers (damn, are they happy to see us!) and no money, but I love the music. The last couple of visits have allowed me to play electric, Dobro and harmonica, and they all feel good.

Let the tide carry you.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:28 am

Here it is a month later & out of no where I get an email from an old friend looking for a bass player. I don't think it will be a giging band anytime soon. I went to 2 practices & my did it sound & just feel good.
Guitar, drums, keyboard (Hammond B-3, Yamaha electric piano, leslie cabinet), tenor sax, girl singer that plays acoustic guitar & me on bass.) I guess good things come to those who wait. All are about my age or a few years younger. Practice is in a real recording studio that the guitar player owns. I think I have found my place. Not all Blues songs, but enough to get my blues fix. A lot of older classic rock tunes. 3 lead singers in the group. If the group never plays out I will just enjoy the weekly visits. This could be really great. If & when there are recordings I will share with pride. :D :D :D
Bob
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Good news Bob! Good luck with it. At least it's closer to what you wanted. I've also re-discovered that bands tend to take on a sound of their own in a pretty short time and it starts to feel better fast. We play with several different lineups and it's a different sound depending on who's playing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom