Feel like experimenting today

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Feel like experimenting today

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:19 pm

I have a GFS Dogear P-90 sitting around that needs a home, so I think I'm going to stick it in the sound hole of that old Stella acoustic I found last month, run it through some fuzz and bathe myself in feedback-y goodness. If that doesn't work out the way I want, I'll stick it on my old Playtime archtop if there's room.

Today will be a fun day.

I'll post pictures (and maybe a video) later.
guitarslim101
Regular

Re: Feel like experimenting today

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but if you have a guitar you don't mind drilling holes in, I fitted a Duncan Design pickup in the soundhole of a cheap acoustic, but mounted on a pedestal bracket from the back of the guiter to avoid the mass affecting the soundboard. It's different sounding to a soundboard fitted pickup, whether or not it's better is for a listener to decide.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 am

On a nicer guitar, that definitely would have been a concern. But this one already has a few decent sized cracks in the soundboard and a few holes from where the pick guard was screwed in before.

I ended up mounting the ears inside the guitar because there wasn't enough string clearance to mount it on top of the soundboard. I just wired the pickup right to the jack because I didn't really expect it to sound all that good. I was really surprised when I plugged it in. It has a very well balanced tone. It's bright enough that I can get some nice almost twangy sounds out of it, but still dark enough to keep it from being too harsh. I just have a light set of bronze strings on it now, but I'll slap a heavier set of nickel strings on it some time soon.

Sounded great through the little Kustom Tube 12 I was playing at the music store I work at...and hang out at on days I'm not working...like today. It sounded very nice through the Univox Super Fuzz clone I had with me, too. It may give my old Danelectro Convertible a run for its money as far as my go-to funky electric-acoustic is concerned, but I think the Dano will still be my first choice. We'll see, though.

I'll try to get a video or sound clip worked up this weekend, but here's a picture for now.

guitarslim101
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:14 am

That's pretty badass! I've been wanting to put a P90 in my reso for a while, but I'm not sure if I have the balls to cut up my reso. Post up some soundclips of it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm

I should have some time to get something recorded tomorrow. Hopefully a video, but all I have to do that is the little built-in webcam in my macbook, so I may not do that.

As far as putting one in your reso, it certainly is a pretty big commitment if you have to cut up the guitar. I want to put a pickup of some sort in my old archtop, but it doesn't have a raised fret board, so I'd have to cut some holes and just can't do it. I don't want to risk messing up the acoustic sound of that guitar. Maybe you could find a shorter pickup that you could just stick to the top with some two-sided tape? An old dearmond gold foil, perhaps? Resos do sound pretty awesome with pickups in them. I still have a Washburn Eric Sardinas signature with a mini-humbucker and it has such a unique sound.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm going to ask a question. It might sound odd to start off with, but have a think. Is there any reason, if the bridge is flat/straight, why the pickup can't be mounted above the strings? It might make it easier to mount it so it doesn't damage the guitar but still does it's job, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be near a soundhole.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 pm

I dont think so...

I made a mechano thing for my banjo to cradle a pick up over it, it worked, sounded like a banjo run through an amp I guess...

unfortunately at uni I don't have my mecano :( which Is sort of a good thing cos I know I'd spend my whole time doing stuff like that and not studying!
Bournio
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:38 am

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Actually it's kind of the same principle some of the old lap steel pickups used where the strings went through the pickup instead of just over it. I think it'd be fine as long as it was mounted in a way that didn't interfere with your hand.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Alright, well here's a small soundclip. The quality is shit because I still don't have a proper audio interface for my computer and the built-in input clips so easy on this computer, but it gives you an idea of how it sounds. The amp is an old Univox U-305R, which is a 6973 based amp with a 15 inch Jensen. I use the amp reverb throughout the demo and the tremolo comes on for a while. There is also some delay from an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (set to the wrong time :x ) and some fuzz courtesy of a germanium Tonebender clone (MKII, I believe). It's pretty sloppy, but I tried to cover a few of the sounds it's capable of.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8304807
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm

That is some gnarly tone. I like it! Not sure how to explain it, but it's a really raw and "pure" tone. It just sounds really good.

Is the pickup still wired straight to the output jack?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 am

Swampy!
texas blues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:43 am

Yep, it's still just the pickup and a jack. I want to add a dual-concentric volume and tone knob at some point, but I'll wait for a bit.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues