Elixir's for slide

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Elixir's for slide

Postby lockingnut » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Anyone else notice how quiet they are? I use nanoweb 11's on all my axes and have been working on my slide lately, hey!! it's quieter.
lockingnut
Regular

RE: Elixir's for slide

Postby tricone john » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Are you playing electric only Lockingnut? 11s are a light gauge.
I'd agree that Elixir strings are smoother and therefore quieter but have a look through the archives on strings for slide and you'll find a lot of hot debating. Touchy subject. Everyone has their favourite strings and favourite gauges and so on to suit every make of guitar under the sun.

Personally, and please take this as an opinion and not gospel, I prefer heavier strings for slide playing although I don't have an electric guitar so can't comment on that. I play slide mainly on a resonator. They need much heavier strings to get the cones moving so I use hefty 16gauge Newtone strings. Not as smooth as Elixir but they sound fuller and suit my guitar and my rough old style.

I tried Elixirs on my standard acoustic and they lasted for 9 months(!!!) but sounded slightly muted when compared to my present Martin SPs (which only last a couple of months), although the SPs windings are more noisy on the slide. Can't have it all ways I guess.

Whatever you're doing Locknut, or decide to do, it is a pleasure to have another slide player here at BRB.
tricone john
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:11 pm

I agree, .11s are pretty light for slide, even for raised tunings like open E and A...

I use open D and G and my acoustic (resonator) guitars are strung with .16-.59 "mix & match" sets (slightly different depending on the tuning they're intended for, my open D set is .16, .20, .29, .39, .49, .59 and my open G set is .16, .18, .27, .39, .52, .59).

For electric a normal .13-.56 set is usually just fine for me, as long as the action isn't too low. Sometimes I add a heavier high string for guitars where the lower strings overpower the high ones (like hollowbodies when you crank 'em up).
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby tricone john » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:00 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-05 AT 09:01 AM (EST)]>
>I use open D and G and my acoustic (resonator) guitars are
>strung with .16-.59 "mix & match" sets (slightly different
>depending on the tuning they're intended for, my open D set
>is .16, .20, .29, .39, .49, .59 and my open G set is .16,
>.18, .27, .39, .52, .59).
>
Zak
I've listened to you on Soundclick and your resonator/slide guitar sounds amazing. Great tracks (so I've put them on my Station!)

Lockingnut, I recommend that you find the 'Zak and his unhappy guitar' site on Soundclick and have a listen. Well balanced string volumes and tones combined with some excellent slide.

I've noticed that my resonator is better in open G than D and my string set approximates to your G set. I might try out your gauges of strings for open D to see if I can improve mine in D. Thanks.
tricone john
Regular

Postby stumblin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:17 pm

"I've noticed that my resonator is better in open G than D..."
John, I think we've got the same model AMG2 tricone.
Anyhoo, I've found mine to kind of "prefer" being played in open-G tuning. It just doesn't have as good a response in open-D.
It's pretty good in standard though.
stumblin
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Thanks Tricone John, glad you like the way it sounds....FWIW they're all inexpensive asian resonator guitars with stock cones - I haven't gotten around to replacing any of them and I'm not in any hurry either because they don't sound nearly as bad as people say when the guitars are set up correctly...although some of the workmanship and (lack of) quality control are questionable when compared to a real National. Also, I don't think people give the stock cones enough "break in" time before swapping them for Nationals, the newer asian cones seem much better than they were just a couple of years ago and they improve with time as you play them.

I once owned a 30's Trojan and a friend of mine has a pair of beautiful 30's Nationals (Duolian and Style O) so I do have a reference point.

I don't doubt that the National cones are better quality, but I'm just too lazy to go through the trouble of taking apart all my guitars and trimming the biscuits and saddles to accommodate the different cone heights of National cones.

I am not as picky about acoustic strings as I am with electric, I am using ordinary D'Addario phosphor bronze strings that I buy in the "heavy" (.14) sets and augment with individual strings that I need to customize the sets for open tunings. The heavier second and third strings really help open D tuning, as it's kind of darker sounding overall than G - the extra tension really helps the sound, if it didn't I wouldn't bother going through the extra hassle of using different sets for D ad G tunings.

My brass bodied Epiphone single-cone guitar sounds best in open G - something in that guitar just comes to life with that tuning, open A doesn't sound as "alive" and neither do open D or E (or even open E capoed to G) regardless of string sizes. I've tried everything and that guitar just wants to be in open G so I leave it in that tuning. None of my other resonator guitars seem to have any kind of "sweet spot" that resembles the Epiphone's predisposition to open G.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:41 pm

My Johnson Style-O knockoff sounds better in open G than D, but better still in open-C# (C# Vastapol). I use some sort (it varies, might be D'Addario, maybe not) of 80/20 bronze strings on them, .013s, just the standard set.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby boz » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:39 pm

I once sat knee to knee with Muddy Waters and he showed some slide stuff. He was playing a "Super Bee". I looked at the headstock intentionally to see what it was, It had a honey bee medallion sort of thing right there on the head stock. And, the guitar was red and blue in color. (And yes I was sober and straight when I was there.)
Has anyone ever heard of a "Super Bee" guitar?
Please excuse the highjacking of this thread.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lockingnut » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:13 pm

I figured heavier strings would be better but I'm hesitant to use anything heavier on my guitar. It's a MIK Fender Swamp Ash Lite, actually a pretty nice guitar. And I'm still in the learning stages of slide (probably will be for awhile) so I'm not after tone yet.
lockingnut
Regular

Postby tricone john » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:10 am

>I figured heavier strings would be better but I'm hesitant
>to use anything heavier on my guitar. It's a MIK Fender
>Swamp Ash Lite, actually a pretty nice guitar. And I'm still
>in the learning stages of slide (probably will be for
>awhile) so I'm not after tone yet.

The LITE part does sort of indicate DELICATE. Heavier strings may bend the neck. Keep the strings light gauge.

If you outgrow your current guitars slide capacity then we'll just have to infect you with the incurable BRB 'GoTaHavIt' virus that sends apparently sober upright people (?) into a highly agitated state that can only be cured by the aquisition of another guitar. Unfortunately most players partners are totally immune to this virus, which just makes the infected person even more agitated.

If you do get this terrible disease a cheap but strong high action acoustic might cures it, without getting too many of those partners silent 'HandsOnHips' messages or the more vocal 'WadderUWantThatFor?!?' .

While looking round the second hand stuff look out for Muddy's old "Super Bee". It is probably lurking in some corner of a dusty old shop. See ya Boz!

Stumblin......yes, I've an AMG3, same set up as yours and it definitely like G best. D sounds dead in the mid string ranges. Must try Zaks string gauges, or else it is the dreaded 'GoTaHavIt' and look for an alternative guitar for D......ouch. I can hear the "WadderUWantThatFor?!?' already.
tricone john
Regular

Postby silenus » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:56 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-05 AT 07:59 AM (EST)]Everybody here plays with 0.16's 'n stuff...
I play mostly in Open G for slidin'.
Is a wooden acoustic gonna hold this and do I have to change my nut or somethin'?
If if...'till what gauge you think I can go without to many changes?
Thanks

"If I don't go crazy, I'm gonna lose my mind..." - Son House
silenus
Regular

Postby slickcat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:35 pm

I have tried Elixers....your right they are quiet when sliding compared to other strings. I think they sound just as good as non coated strings.
If the wrap wire on wound strings were finer (smaller diameter) then that would reduce noise also. Im searching for what string maker (if any) use a finer closer wrap.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!