Things I would have done differently

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Things I would have done differently

Postby 1four5 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:01 am

>I wish I'd started playing younger, though<

Ahhhhh...something I think about a LOT! Having just started my 3rd year of playing at the ripe age of 45. Having drempt it my whole life...but letting everything else get in the way like jobs/wive/another wife/another wife/booze/assorted sports-hobbys/booze/you name it....

I often wonder what would have happend if I would have gotten a hold of a guitar as a kid, and it stuck. I then come to my senses and realize that everything happens they way it's supposed to. The good Lord knew I would have never survived. He put a baseball glove in my hands instead of a guitar. AA took care of the booze, the wives took care of themselves, and injuries took care of the sports/hobbys. I finally got a guitar just at the right time.
1four5
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:58 am

Hey,
thats not old!
I had a student start guitar lessons at 84.
He did pretty good too.
Your never too old to learn something new.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:18 am

>However, on occasion, I cringe and wish I'd have said some
>different things to one or two particular girls when I was
>17 and 18, though ("you're a great friend ..." - [em]you
>idiot![/em]).

I've got one worse than that. Sitting in a drivein showing a zombie flick ("Dawn of the Dead," I think), I had a young lovely blonde with a well filled out fuzzy pink sweater slide on her back across my lap, said well filled fuzzy pink sweater sticking right up in my face. She glanced backward out the window, batted her long lashes over big blue eyes at me, kind of half puckered her luscious plump red lips, and then said "Isn't that the Big Dipper over there?" I looked out the window and said, "No, that's the Belt of Orion. Sometimes referred to as The Mirror of Venus. It's commonly confused with The Big Dipper, but the Dipper's actually back over in that direction." She rolled her eyes, sat up and scooted back over, removing the fuzzy pink heavenly orbs from my near field of vision. The windows never did steam up during that flick, which I really don't remember that well, anyway.

"just the facts, ma'am."

She went on to become a dental hygienist, and I understand was remarkably skillful in oral examination technique. That's what I heard, anyway.

Me, I just play with my Johnson and sing the blues.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:03 pm

She rolled her eyes, sat up and scooted back over, removing the fuzzy pink heavenly orbs from my near field of vision. The windows never did steam up during that flick...

You idiot, Stimpy! :D

About 30 years ago, a dearly departed friend of mine told me, "It took me along time to realize it, but women want it just as bad as the guys do...they just don't come right out and show it the same way."

For the most part true, but amazing that even when they "do come right out and show it", we still find a way to blow it!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:02 pm

Oh man I was always terrible at getting women. Funny thing is, when I finally gave up trying it all came to me. Go figure.

I can't say I would have changed anything - I probably would have just made different mistakes. Everythin is a stepping stone.
nizer
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 am

I think you guys are really cool. Things I would have done differently - learn to like nice guys like you all and avoid all the rest of those dummies I wasted my time with. However, I think my daughter has the right idea thank the lord.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:30 am

>However, I think my daughter has the right idea thank the lord.

That's definitely something to be thankful for!

ricochet
Regular

Postby spud camp » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 am

I dont have any equipment things I would have done different, after all, its equipment. There were no passed down guitars or anything like that, so there is no real regrets there. The only thing I would have done differently is focus on the music, instead of the notion of what the "rock and roll" lifestyle should be. I worked my ass off as a kid to be a real musician. I was 16 and 17 playing for some of the premier rock/biker bands in my area. I had what every kid was dreaming about. I was 16 in the bars, had chicks, booze, and unfortunatley plenty of access to other "things". I flat out blew it man. I didnt have to work in the practical sense, just show up for rehersals, and gigs. It should have been heaven, but I got way to caught up in the past times of wannabes, and blew it. I regret it all the time! If I had focused on what I should have been focusing on, where would I be now. Im not saying I would have been a rock star or anything, but Im pretty sure I could of had something. Oh well I guess, lesson learned, but man what a bunch of grief it caused me later on in life. Here to tell you, it doesnt get any lower than being fired from a rock band, who is notorious for being out of control and crazy, for being too crazy, and having too many "issues" to deal with. Thats my only music regret.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:12 am

Forgive me. You can't be that old. Life is not over yet! My goodness gracious. I can't tell you how many times I have made a fool of myself and wish I could disappear for a few years. Us crazy people with the help of alchohol and drugs just do dumb stuff. All this makes me who I am and damn sure humbled me. Maybe I wasted a lot of years maybe I didn't. Maybe it was a whole "part of the process". It had to be. You probably did more in that time then many people do in several lifetimes and now you can take stock. You did it fast and now you can do it with finesse. Be proud you're here and I'm thinkin if you're on this site you must be serious and not playing video games all night cranked out with other moochin people who are talented but not playing. I'm sorry you probably didn't want to hear this. It's probably not what you meant. I go by feel and I can be wrong quite often so again, forgive me, please. Now that I look back on some of my fiascos I gotta say the tears I cried, the crazy things I did, some of the things I came up with to get out of situations - well, I'm kinda proud ... I'm alive and surviving and actually almost successfully raised another human being who has managed to skip over all of the 'mistakes' I made. Thanks Ricochet it aint over yet as they say.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Lorilu, I love your outlook! We are a sum of our past, that's awesome! And it aint ever over...Tim3finger didn't start playing until he was 54...that was a little over 2 years ago...I think he's about 20 years younger now!
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Thanks 1four5, just hope I didn't piss off Spud.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Can't imagine why you would have.

ricochet
Regular

Postby spud camp » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:21 pm

No lorilu, not at all. Don't get me wrong I dont sit around and dwell on it. Its just one of those "what if" questions we all have. I have 3 beautiful kids, a lovely wife, and a mediocre job LOL. I just posted cause the topic was "things I would have done differently". I suppose we all go thru things in life for a reason, and if I wouldn't have faced the challenges some of those decisions caused, I wouldn't be the husband or father I am today. Perhaps those are experiences, I needed for something in the future, maybe to have a better understanding, to help one of my kids someday..who knows. I also believe it was lesson delivered to me to teach me some humility, which believe at the time, that was a lesson I needed.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Every page of my past is a structural part of my foundation today!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:06 am

I'm so glad. It sounds like you are doing great except for the mediocre job part but you can have it all. You guys have it together way more than a lot of the musicians I know. That's why I'm here.
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!