Things I would have done differently

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Things I would have done differently

Postby blues power » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:09 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-05 AT 02:14 PM (EST)]my first amp before i even knew how to play well was a 1979 music man HD 130 2x10. (yeah my dad had some cash in those days lol)no way i was able to buy it.
back then i hated that amp. It was too clean. too freaking shimmering. SO i bought an MXR Dist Plus in 1980. to give me more of a zep sound. but....I still hated that amp

About a year later I sold off all that great gear for a lil 50 watt Peavy SS 1x12. dont remeber the model name. and I played with heavy OD for the next 20 years or so trading in various amps over time.

Now that im older and my tastes in music changed. Im to damn old for any heavy OD anymore. I want Clean Clean CLean. :) Bluesy clean and thats what that amp did. I wish to god I still had that vintage MM amp that I dumped for next to nothing.

well the point of my story is dont trade away gear now cus you dont like it. put it away for another day. I time youll find thats what you really wnated tobegin with.

yeah Ive sceen a few MM 130's and 65's on ebay and there still fairly cheap like $350.00 and bid I on them occasionally. you can rest assure that one day I'll have my amp back.
blues power
Regular

RE: Things I would have done differently

Postby ricochet » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:43 pm

Yeah, that Music Man would be nice to have now!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:45 pm

I had that feeling about my father's Farfisa Mini-compact Duo organ,for years. I told him that when he got sick of it, I'd take it off his hands. I hadn't had one of my own since my first dance band broke up when I was in 9th grade. When my dad died, I went down to the basement,and tried to lift that "Mini-compact". The freakin' thing musta weighed 120 pounds,and a buncha the stuff didn't work on it. I threw it in the dumpster,vowing to go out and buy a 30 pound digital board that had Farfisa sampling and did 3 million other sounds too. No way I was gonna lug that around,or bother sellin' it on E-bay either. It got buried in a landfill with alotta other stuff of his. But,amps have always weighed the same-so that's a different matter.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roy bluesboy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 pm

I can relate bp. My old guitar player used a musicman and it had tone for days. I once had a DEAD MINT gibson 18t explorer and traded it for an APPLAUSE guitar - Somebody hand me a 357! Unfortunately, as our musical tastes change our houses usually stay the same size. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:17 pm

you can rest assure that one day I'll have my amp back.

A local bass player friend of mine has a great story. He traded off an Ampeg Bass tube head in the late 70s for some other gear. He regretted it from that day on and swore he would own another one someday.

About five years ago he was hitting some garage sales and got excited when he saw an Ampeg head, telling his wife, "I used to have an amp just like that...upon further inspection he said, "Hey that is MY amp!" There were some scuff marks on it that he identified. He ended up getting the same amp back over 20 years later in good condition for $40.00!

There is a God!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues power » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:39 pm

lol Bosco. your freind has lived my dreams for me.
blues power
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:28 pm

I keep lookin for the old Harmony Archtop I got for Christmas back in 67!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby resn8or » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:17 am

I traded a Fender twin reverb for something that weighed less and had more distortion, back around 1980. Didn't take me long to start missing it, even after I moved on to a big Marshall.
resn8or
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:33 pm

I sold a 1964 L series Strat,custom colour w/ rosewood slab board for $2500 AU in the 80's, and replaced it with a Levinson Blade, which cost the same.
Bad move.
I also sold my 1970 JMP Marshall super lead that was in perfect condition with original Mullard Valves, and replaced it with a Fender red knob twin. Ahhh!
I wish I had kept a lot of stuff, like some friends of mine did, but at the time I thought I was doing the right thing, getting rid of the old dinosaurs.
If only I'd had a crystall ball, or knew Nostra Damus!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:51 am

Wish I would have beg, borrowed or stole the money I needed when I let my near mint 1972 Les Paul Deluxe go. I will have another LP someday but for now my 3 tone sunburst Strat has plenty of mojo for the music I'm playing.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby cheap_jazz_box » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:46 pm

For me, it was my ol' man's '58 Gibson Rythum King amp. I THINK this was actually a GA series rig. Learned to play 'lectric on it (as he did), then told him I didn't want it when I grew up and moved out. He garage saled it....

Somebody shoot me...
cheap_jazz_box
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:49 pm

Oh, to be young and stupid again...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:00 pm

I've sold lots of gear that it'd be nice to have - but stuff is just stuff. I have good gear NOW.

I wish I'd started playing younger, though.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:30 am

I don't regret anything gear related.

However, on occasion, I cringe and wish I'd have said some different things to one or two particular girls when I was 17 and 18, though ("you're a great friend ..." - [em]you idiot![/em]).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:46 am

>>>I'd have said some different things to one or two particular girls when I was 17 and 18,

Ahhhhhhhh.... to be 17-18 and know what I know now! Hell, I still blow it with women! LOL
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!