Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby moreb » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:03 am

In the next year I may have the opportunity to move to the Tunica/Clarksdale area of Mississippi. It would be an excellent paying job at one of the gambling parlors in the area. I'm currently in KC with a great job, divorced and no children.
I'm thinking that a move to the delta area might afford me a chance to expand and learn a lot about playing the blues that I will never get here in KC.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I would appreciate any and all advice on the subject. If you don't feel like posting your thoughts you can E-mail me directly.

This is not a troll or a BS session. Thanks in advance!
moreb
Regular

RE: Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby rf101st » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:39 am

Seems like you would be headed to the source...the home...what ever, of the blues. I think it would be a great experiance and a great adventure. Especially if you do not have many ties in KC. I am jealous as hell! Good luck and keep us posted if you do go.
rf101st
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:14 am

I like adventures myself and if I didn't have the ties that I have and I had a way to earn a living, I'm sure I wouldn't be here now. But that's me. They say follow your dreams and follow your heart. Best of luck to you.
lorilu
Regular

Postby chick french » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:18 pm

I hate to say this (not really) but if you find any blues in the Clarksdale/Tunica or Memphis area please let me know. You would have a lot better chance of finding some great blues in France. Seriously, the players from other countries are trying to stick with the real deal.

You won't find nothing but some folks thinking they be "head cutters" or possibly a band doing the Allman Brothers version of "One Way Out". You can check out Ground Zero in Clarksdale and see what they bookin there and call it blues. Pleeeeze, give me a break.

Sam Carr and Frank Frost were the only real blues players in the area. Now Frank has passed on and Sam has to play with various dog and pony shows. Hell people don't want to hear no blues around there. They wanna see some fool get up there and clown. Pick the guitar with his teeth! Wow thats original!

At least you'll have a good job! Good luck.
chick french
Regular

Postby david » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:52 pm

There are still a handful of people doing some informal jams up in the hill country just outside the Delta, but I don't think any of them are making money at it. From what I understand, its mainly family and friends of Junior Kimbrough and Otha Turner.

As for the "delta blues" in the delta, I got the impression that its a disneyfied version promoted by the local chambers of commerce trying to attract tourists.

I did find a gathering of folks at Archie Edward's barber shop. I got all excited and pulled into the parking lot, only to discover they were listening to recorded hip hop. I just pulled back onto the road and headed to the other side of the Sunflower River.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:54 pm

Move up to Bristol, Tennessee, and you'll have somebody to jam with, at least.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:54 am

There you go. Move in with Ricochet. I wonder where in the US there is anything going on. I know guys from here get booked in Europe. I bet there's stuff going on in some little off the wall places like where we are all from.
lorilu
Regular

Postby chick french » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Theres some folks around playing blues (Larry Taylor and such). But I can tell you there aint no blues players in Mississippi. I've lived in and around here for 54 years. I can say I know or at least heard of any player in this area. I know a few guys in Jackson that are doing the real thing. I lived in Clarksdale for about 4 years. As far as I know the only blues player left there is Johnny Billington.

I went to a blues festival in Leland, Ms last year and like I said before, I heard some guys from France that were nailing it! Could barely speak any english but sang and played very authenically. The rest of the groups were doing anything from country to rap.
chick french
Regular

Postby moreb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 am

Very sad to hear but I'd rather know now that later.....Thank you very much for the honest answers! I really like the guys over at Fat Possum records and was hoping some of that stuff was still around the area....Oh well, day late and a dollar short.....
You are right, some of the towns in that area talk the places up like it's 1930 on the streets every night and you have to leave town to stop hearing the delta blues....
moreb
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:54 am

If you've been noticing Fat Possum lately, they've run out of Mississippi bluesmen and are mostly promoting young punkish rockers.

ricochet
Regular

Postby moreb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 am

So the scene is dead there in your opinion ?
moreb
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:55 am

Haven't been there lately myself, but from talking to others who have, it sure sounds like it to me. Sure looks like Fat Possum's moved on from blues for their new releases, too.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:03 am

Blues in general? Delta blues? I don't think the blues are dying but if anything coming back in a different way. I just got a Guitar Center ad with a blues player contest. So that said something to me since they are about the dollar. People are playing the blues. I would think you could play em the way you want to. If traditional blues are what you want it seems like to me there are a lot of people on this site that live and breathe them. You're talking to them and they have soundclicks and with the computer technology you could probably get one hell of an education right here and then decide where you want to go from there. Just a suggestion. Get on the trivia stuff for a formal blues education. With humor. And like Chick and several people here are living breathing resources. There's always options.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:25 am

You don't hafta look fo da blues it will find ya where evar your at, all you hafta ta do is roll yo eyes back inta your head and take a look !! at yo self, its in your own back yard!!
601blues
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:41 am

The Blues are still in Mississippi, Memphis and Chicago. Just stay away from anything advertised as "Blues" and you will be surprised. I spent sometime in all three areas two summers ago. I was disappointed in the false advertisement the exploitors were using to make a buck at trendy locations claiming real blues music, but found the real Blues in the Parks and small clubs. As one person wrote before me, the Blues will find you. I too have been thinking of moving to the South, health reasons, and I found everything I need in the Memphis area. The music and food are great. I am retired so work is not an issue.
mike932
Regular

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!