Digital Drums

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Digital Drums

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:29 pm

I played with the drummer with the digital drums again last weekend,for a few tunes. He was playin' with a different band than the one I got up with a coupla months ago,when I started this thread. He plays in two bands that share two musicians. The stage was so small that we were right on top of each other,so I was a foot from the drums,which normally is not where I wanna be. My opinion of playin' with a digital drum set has not changed: I like it alot. Jus' a lot less ambient noise comin' from that area. I can't find any fault with the sound.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:20 pm

AS I said when playin live with the digital drums you have greater control of stage volume as well,they take up less room ,Iam for the digtial Thang!!Ive played as well as most artist on this site at some very large venues,where the drummers use digital triggers on there stuff which overrides any accoustial value so why not just use digital period!!
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Nice to see some old threads popping up from the archives...

I've only had one experience with digital drums and it was horrendous!

About a year ago, a local muso leased an empty store front with the idea of running an advertised open/mic coffee house. Our band volunteered to play at the grand opening and we were assigned a starting time. The guy running the venue had purchased a used set of digital drums from his church which he reasoned would cut down on changover time at the open mics.

When we arrived, a country band with a female drummer was performing and it sounded so bad I actually felt sorry for them. The drummer in particular was terrible. When it was our turn to play we found out why. Turns out that the drums were used when the church got them and the instruction manual was long gone. The delay was set to the max...had to be a full second or more...and no one could figure out how to turn it off! Our drummer had to play way in front of the beat to try to get it to fall where he needed it. He never really found the beat, just kind of surrounded it. Our performance was lackluster, to say the least, and I continued to feel sorry for the drummers- now with an understanding. Somebody is probably gonna try and tell me that's progress. At least we all got a big laugh out of it.

What a joke. The Coffee House went under in a month. I often wonder if some other poor bastard is now trying to figure those damned things out...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:22 am

Interesting. Hmmmm. I have not had any interest in digital drums and am always disappointed if I see a band with digital drums. Wow.
I have been in guitar center (just looking and talking to friends, I do buy stuff but I try to buy local owned) and heard a young guy kick some butt on those things and it was great. The first thing I could see would be playing with headphones and not bothering anyone no matter when and where you were. The second would definitely be the lightweight compact and easy transport and setup. I could see for recording purposes and for giving the other musicians less noise pollution. But.....I just don't know. I have a guitar playing friend that bought a set for his apartment last year and has been playing them. Maybe I'll go over to guitar center and try em out. This is hard. It took me this long to get a computer and get online. I love vintage stuff, drums, guitars, equipment. I would have to have both, I think. Yeah, I can't even imagine getting rid of or not playing my wooden drums. And yet I love electric guitar. Can the two really be compared? I just don't know...
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:34 pm

One thing I guess I've never seen with digital drums is somebody playin' brushes with 'em; I wonder how that works....And,I can see usin' 'em with electified blues,but for just playin' with brushes and a snare,I dunno.....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:48 pm

A friend of mine is a bass player and has some heavy bands - Blues, Soul, Funk. He has various musicians he uses depending on the gig, availability, etc. One of his drummers got a set of digital drums last fall. At the drummer's house they sounded okay, especially the tom and snare.

They did a live gig just before Christmas and it was terrible. Full-bore onstage the kit didn't cut it. The cymbals were especially weak - sounded thin and flat - the ride sounded like an tinfoil pie plate.
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Can't say that I have any complaint about the sounds of the digital percussion that I've played along with on stage. I remember being impressed with how "tunable" the drums were. I would guess that gettin' the heads right on a digital set would be less screwin' around than dealin' with real drum heads. I don't know how many of you drummers get really picky with your heads,but I played with a guy last year who used a tension meter of some kind when tunin' his heads. It sat right on top,and he'd jus' move it around the circumference and the center,and adjust accordingly; it prob'ly took him close to a half hour to set 'em up,but they'd been sitting in the back of a cold car outside all day on Thanksgiving Day (Nov.27).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:58 pm

I thought about this some more and I just wasn't feeling those digital drums. But so as not to be closed minded I will go try them out. I think if I had them I would use them if an artist requested them and I was OK with it. Other than that I am not feeling them. I just watched Frances Roccia Prestia at Bass Day on video with some of Tower of Power and David Garibaldi, one of my favorite drummers was playing. I just love real drums.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:52 pm

I love vintage stuff, drums, guitars, equipment. I would have to have both, I think. Yeah, I can't even imagine getting rid of or not playing my wooden drums. And yet I love electric guitar. Can the two really be compared?

Sure.

digital drums vs. wooden drums

electric piano vs. acoustic piano

acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar

tube amp vs. solid state amp

synthesiser vs organ

I think you'll find that for blues, players prefer to stick to vintage equipment more than any other form of music. Digital drums and solid state amps would be frowned on in the circles I run in. And it's not snobbery either as much as a reverance for music and it's heritage.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:59 pm

Cool Bosco, I thought you were gonna say something different. I am not shutting my mind to anything though. But I have my preferences. I would say I could really enjoy listening to someone who knows what they're doing on digital drums but I don't feel any draw towards them myself.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 pm

For traditional blues,I wouldn't think digital drums would be a good idea,but for the high volume,balls to the wall,Texas blues accompanied by much guit shredding (no offense meant), I see no problem with digital drums. As I said before, digital drums are a helluva lot nicer to work with on stage,IMO.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:17 pm

That seems like very useful information. Thanks.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:11 pm

> I love vintage stuff, drums, guitars, equipment. I would
>have to have both, I think. Yeah, I can't even imagine
>getting rid of or not playing my wooden drums. And yet I
>love electric guitar. Can the two really be compared?

I love old stuff as well, But The old players didn't have electric guitars and the early amps were not designed to sound like anyting or another or even a certain sound it just happened!! And when they recorded they had 1 mic most of the time and whatever was caught in that 1 mic was recorded and thats what you heard!Now guitar player are useing sound effects and all sorts of gizmos to make that sound,so we are far from vintage!!If you want vintage the let all the keyboard players go back to pianos,and stick a mic to em,But when you play out where everything is amplified what do you do!! WELL you mic the vintage drums so they can be heard and when you mic them the mics are picking up everything else around them not just the drums and the sound is so contaminated it sounds like crap! then what do you have??Try useing just a mic on a guitar same thing sound are picked up all around the mic!With digital drums you have a high clean volume clean no contamination!!It just broadens the sound possiablies of the drums!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:05 pm

For the most part, early amps used standard circuits designed and patented by RCA or Western Electric, and the builders' labels often reflect this. You can find many of the same basic circuits in old tube manuals. They built 'em out of the cheapest available componentry, much of which was WWII surplus stuff. They never imagined that anyone would turn them all the way up till they distorted and play 'em like that. A lot of mythology's built up about the special tonal characteristics of the old amps and their components, but it wasn't designed into 'em, they just turned out that way. And now people pay a big premium for reproductions of the old cheap woofers they put in 'em, and of course for the amps and reissues.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-06 AT 02:43 PM (EST)][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/ajacksongrave.jpg Grave of Big Al Jackson blues Drummer
601blues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!