The big lesson in a years worth of lessons

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: The big lesson in a years worth of lesson

Postby maxx england » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Funny how you end up, I want to sound like HDT or Elmore, what I get is in the region of Li'l Ed/J B Hutto. I worked out an 8 bar once to sound like Ike Turner and got Chuck Berry.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:22 am

I just got Bonnie Raitt Live at Montreaux in the mail today and Wow! As I watched it I thought of this post about sounding like your hero. A friend had mentioned that a lot of the singer guitar players I have on CD sound like Bonnie. I don't agree but she has been a huge influence on us women. This DVD is from 1977 right before I discovered her. I was into rock and roll and my only female role models (for me) was Heart who I still love and took my daughter to see. She was truly at that time the person who I could relate to the most through music. That's it. She's killer. I will try not to try to sound like her when I'm singing.
lorilu
Regular

Postby dfduck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 am

I've never wanted to play or sound like anyone else.
I realized that at the age of 6.

44 years later I don't play or sound like anyone else.
And still don't want to.

I still can't play worth beans. But have had people from all around the planet try to play and sound like me. (but can't)

When you hear a recording of me playing, you know it's me.
Not anyone else.

To me, that is musical success.

Being able to play Son House or Robert Johnson songs note for note doesn't much impress me. It's been done, many many thousands of times.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby the big crunch » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:09 pm

>As I sat this morning pondering what I had and had not
>accomplished in the first year of learning slide, I came to
>a realization. The biggest lesson Ive learned in the last
>year is.... are you ready?... Be true to yourself. I
>discovered this after my fingerpick dilemma. I was spending
>so much time trying to be someone I'm not (Johnny Shines),
>that I lost touch with my own style which comes natural.
>After I decided to go back to playing the way I started
>(without finger picks) I discovered that I was much better
>than I was giving myself credit for. Style is something that
>is in you, whether a musician, artist, or an accountant for
>that matter.

I've been having a similar dilemna. I've been a bluegrass picker for a couple of years, but about a year ago I decided I was gonna learn how to play some of the John Hurt fingerstyle country blues I love so much. Anyway, it's been a blast, and I'm amazed at how much I've learned in the last year by just playing 20 minutes a day (especially when I recall that about a year ago, I had never tried to fingerpick...it just seemed so difficult compared to using a flatpick). However, the book I'm learning from teaches a thumb and three finger approach, and at this point, it's like second nature to fingerpick that way. About six months ago, I picked up David Hamburger's book on playing slide, and kept using the same right hand style that I had learned from the Berle and Galba book. It sounded good (I thought) and felt pretty natural. However, when I finished the Hamburger book and picked up a Brozman video, he recomended plastic finger picks...and only playing with TWO FINGERS! I've spent a month trying to make it work, but it still feels as awkward as the first day I put those picks on. I tried metal, but I didn't much care for the tone...and they were only slightly less awkward. It dawned on me last week that if I already had an effective way of fingerpicking, that was very comfortable, then maybe I should just toss the fingerpicks and work on incorporating what I can from Brozman, but using my way of picking instead. I tend to be someone who follows exactly what an instructional tape tells me to do (primarily because I'm still very new to fingerpicking) but this might be one of those moments where I choose to go on my own path. I may be sacrificing some tone, but those fingerpicks just feel ridiculously awkward.
the big crunch
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:17 pm

I have had that experience and it's nice when you find your own way. Especially if you tried the other way and then went to what works best for you. Music comes from different places in different people. On this site I have noticed there are some very technically proficient players and they can have an intellectual approach towards music and playing. No judgement on that. There are players here that are just down home, self taught, whatever works comes from the feel of things. And there are many others that have some of both in various shades. It's really cool. I like the different view points. I am a mostly go by feel who tries to learn technical skills to bring me forward. But much of it comes slowly to me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:45 am

Crunch, I'll bet your banjo pickin' buddies can give you some helpful tips with finger picks and fingerpicking.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:27 pm

I get into big debates over this topic,but here goes!! We all have some influnce from the greats and that is good,we like this sound or that beat,good! But to try and copy and be exactly like someone else is impossiable!! ther is a guitar player under every rock nowadays,To stand out and to have self gratification,you need to be you!!Yes take the licks and tones and sounds that you like but the bottom line is be yourself!!and realize that you have within your self a hundrend SRVs or BBs or Hookers! look inside,its there let it go!! If anyone remembers Tiny Tim,he was a joke played Tip toe thru da tulips,on a 10.00 Ulk, but made millions and tip toed to da bank!!!WHY because 1 he was diffrent,2 he was not sorry for being Tiny Tim,3 He STOOD OUT.
601blues
Regular

Postby bongy0 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

If you were learning from scratch again, what would you really want, to get you going on the right track?

Thanks Dene (uk)

http://www.denerecommends.com
bongy0
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:42 pm

I would do the same things again but I wouldn't compare myself as much to other players or worry if people thought I was "good". Too much insecurity and not enough confidence. Like 601 says, everyone has their own voice. If you don't believe in it no one else ever will.
nizer
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:44 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-06 AT 04:47 PM (EST)]>If you were learning from scratch again, what would you
>really want, to get you going on the right track?
>
>Thanks Dene (uk)
>
>http://www.denerecommends.com
Thats a great ? I would focus on theroy and scales a lot more, I have ben hitin the scales for the last several years,and it has improved me beyond my dreams, if you learn a song, thats all you know is dat song, but if you learn scales you have learned every song that has been writin and every song that will be writtin is in those scales,now what ever I want to express on my guitar I know where every word is and the meaning ,just because of the scales, Ive even made up scales to fit me!So to go back and learn!! SCALES,I sit and play scales till I crap scales, But I can play top to bottom and turn and play botton to top,in 15 diff scale paterens, I wasted all my youth on learnin songs didn't know crap!!That is not just the right track it is the track!!People don't want to learn scales they think its boring, then you will never be a musician,without the scales, I wish I could go back in time and change things, but I can't, If I knew this back then I would be famous now!! On my New CD I do a song called TIME MACHINE and it talkes of this
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:48 am

I thought I was strange to love scales. I think they are fun and interesting. Several years back this guy gave me several scales to learn and said spend 10 minutes doin scales. Just like with drums, I usually warm up with rudiments which are drum scales. On guitar and bass I warm up with scales. It's good for your fingers, too. I got this gig bag book of bass scales and the cool thing on that is you have a scale in each key up and down the neck. You'll play the scale on the 8th fret to the llth, and then the middle, then the bottom of the neck. I have heard that all solos are basically scales. Rearranged. I have made up my own little things using the idea of that. I like learning the whole thing. Piano, same thing. It's fun to me.

I struggle though with focus. I let life and other stuff get in the way of my progress. Does anyone else struggle with that? I KNOW what I could do but I'm being unfocused. Actually, I'm trying to weed out all the unneccessary things. I like what 601 keeps saying about everything being inside - you can find it all inside.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 09:30 AM (EST)]And its true we spend all our time tryin to get approval from others,thats why we play cover music, that we know others already like, and not our own stuff, But we fail to consider our own approval of our selves,we all have been in a situation where something is said or done that we don't approve of ,but we go along with everybody else because they seem to approve, so you think something must be wrong with you!! WRONG THINKIN!!What seperates the winners from the mass is being able to trust yourself and search and respond to your own wants and dreams,and your own desires, wheather anyone approves or not!! ITS in YOU let it out, Thats what being an artist is all about the freedom to reach beyond the normal to see what others fail to see, Now when you write a song you ask for others to judge it if they don't care for it you drop it!! WHY?? Did you like it it came from you ?? thats all that matters DID YOU LIKE IT ??? When you can please yourself and love yourself and your creations othere will love it as well!Please understand that when you depend on other opions, your getting the human trait, ENVEY,JEALOUSY, thease thing will hold you back,people want to hold you back they don't want to see you happy or successful,Iam just sayin the only one you can count on is you!!SO PLEASE yourself all your blessings are inside you use Them!!
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:07 pm

>
>I struggle though with focus. I let life and other stuff get
>in the way of my progress. Does anyone else struggle with
>that? I KNOW what I could do but I'm being unfocused.
>Actually, I'm trying to weed out all the unneccessary
>things. I like what 601 keeps saying about everything being
>inside - you can find it all inside.

We're all human (I have a document to prove this), so yes, life gets in the way of the music. But when you get back to the music, doesn't it feel so good?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:56 pm

Yes it does, Maxx. Wow, 601, I just wish I would of got that message in my head way before this. I struggle all the time with exactly what you are talking about. I have been blessed considerably and have always encouraged others to grow and pursue their dreams only to be met with them discouraging me! I think I am now ready to proceed. I have been fortunate and it's time I go for it.

I thought other people were reflecting back to me things I could not see in myself. But they were offering their own limitations. A few years back I was writing song after song. I'm not saying they were all good but I shared them with my good friend and he said a few things that caused me to doubt my abilities and I have just now over the past year began to write again - after that friendship ended.

Now,something new has occurred and I'm getting back to where I need to be. I will probably always have to cast out what is negative and go forward with what I believe. Last night was a good practice time for me. And I have a new plan for using my creative strengths. Thanks for the great advice. Always.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:13 pm

And you're not kidding about standing up for what you believe to be right. It's a hard road. But I'd rather be true to myself. It comes down to what you stand for - if it's what's right it benefits everyone in the long run. I have never only looked out just for my own. I don't think that's what we're here for. My friends are from all walks of life.
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!