Truss rods

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Truss rods

Postby grumpygroo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I’ve got a Takamine EN10 12 string, had it for about 20 years now. It’s a nice guitar but I’ve always thought that it didn’t really sound or play that well for a reasonably good quality guitar. It didn’t really boom and jangle as a good 12 string should. I’ve been seriously thinking of selling it, gotta get a square neck at some point (and a tricone and a …, well the list goes on). I’ve tried bottlenecking the 12 string but the action was way too low. So, yesterday, got an allan key and slackened the truss rod off by a quarter turn. The change in that guitar has been nothing short of miraculous! It is now an absolute joy to play. The action is still a bit too low for good bottlenecking but for normal playing, wonderful. It booms, it jangles, it seems to be keeping it’s tuning better. I suspect that 20 years ago, when I bought it, I should have had a full set up done on it. But better late than never. I do wish I knew before, what a small truss rod adjustment would do. Leadbelly, Blind Willie McTell, here I come.
grumpygroo
Regular

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!