Super Glue

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Postby maxx england » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:51 am

No more worries about it slipping off mid performance. And in conjunction with a coil you can really light the place up.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Just remember when the super glue won't come out just go and get a small needle to open the hole back up. Don't do like I did yesterday and try squeezing it harder, thats when it suddenly let loose and came out all over my finger! I ended up with a full finger of superglue for a day! Quite a Sticky situation.

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:09 pm

At least you didn't get it in your eyes, Houserocker. You wouldn't have been happy had that occurred.
ricochet
Regular

Postby houserocker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:54 pm

That would not have been good. I would have been Old Blind Houserocker.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:11 pm

[quote="houserocker"]That would not have been good. I would have been Old Blind Houserocker.

http://www.thehouserockers.net[/quote] You could have a helluva future that way, House! Get that Jeff Healy look goin' for ya'. It would be different, playin' blind. I can imagine you'd pay attention to things goin' on in the crowd that we tend to just ignore when we can see. I sometimes play piano with my eyes closed, just to get away from bein' enslaved by my sight, and come up with riffs that originate more in my mind than my fingers. I only do it when I'm practicin'. I'm not a big fan of playin' with a band with my eyes closed, 'cuz I rely so much on visual cues, and tryin' to intercept communications between the drummer and bassist.(btw,Charlie, it's good to see you posting again occasionally; yer CD is still gettin' airplay at my house.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:45 pm

Hi Jeff, I play mostly with my eyes closed anyway so I rarely see whats happening in the crowd, I'm told that I miss some real strange things, but thats a whole new topic. I hardly ever even remember what I just played, sometimes people will come up and say they liked a certain solo and what was I playing and I have to tell them I don't know because I really don't remember it, I just kinda play whatever comes out of me at the time. Does this make any sense to you? I will have to say that no two solo's are the same every night even though it may be the same song.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:57 pm

I definitely agree about not remembering what you've played. I think that's fairly common, with the exception of the breaks where you feel like you have to include identifying licks that may be the signature of the tune. As primarily a backing musician (harper) who plays frequent breaks and solos, I feel like I have to concentrate alot on what's goin' on with the rest of the band, and because of that I'm probably not aware of some of the things I do that are second nature. Playin' music for me is alot about communication with the band, and not so much about communication with the crowd. I find myself fillin' in parts (on covers) that nobody else is playin', whether it's an organ riff,horn part, or even a guitar part. And all of this is 'cuz since I have no band now, I'm always sittin' in with bands and figurin' out on the spot what they've included in their arrangements. Most bar bands around here run light on manpower,'cuz of the crappy pay situation, so there's always parts to fill in. One thing I like about it is that it puts me in a situation where I can contribute to the spacing of the tune,by whether or not I'm playin' at all, or doin' short comps or melodic comps.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:25 am

>>> no two solo's are the same every night even though it may be the same song

Just imagine how it is for Walter with no 2 songs ever being the same! Amazes me!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:22 pm

Ain't that the truth?! :shock:
ricochet
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I don't know if it is urban legend or not, but I specifically recall reading an article once about how SRV used to use superglue to help him out with finger wear. Apparently, he had a lot of trouble when gigging continueously and playing his strat with really heavy guaged strings at the speeds he managed. However, SRV apparently didn't like the 'feel' of the plain glue tipped finger as suggested above, so what he did was this: he actually glued his finger tips to the skin on the inside (tender) area of his forearm, then ripped his hand free. Of course, the skin was the weak link, so , voila, new skin on the worn and bleeding finger-tips!!!!

Again, I don't know if this is true ... But if it was, this must have been during his heavy self-abuse days!!! Or, it give new meaning to the trademark term "CRAZYGLUE" which is what superglue used to be called when I was a kid here in Canada during the 1970s.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 pm

I'd figure somebody who was doing that must be sniffing glue.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Boogieman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:02 am

Catweazle wrote:So, to summarise. You are advocating the use of a few drops of medical-grade superglue in an electrically conductive condom - is that correct?

ROFL!!!!
Boogieman
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:35 pm

They actually make stuff called liquid bandage which works like your superglue trick. It is designed to cover with a protective film. It is designed to put on open wounds. It works well.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:39 pm

deltablues57 wrote:They actually make stuff called liquid bandage which works like your superglue trick. It is designed to cover with a protective film. It is designed to put on open wounds. It works well.
When I wrestled in high school we used to use stuff like that all the time when your hands split; it wuz called "Nu- skin". It was spray-on.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 am

Is that the stuff boxers aren't allowed when they get cut?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!