How Do Ya Do It ?

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

How Do Ya Do It ?

Postby lorilu » Mon May 22, 2006 3:30 pm

When I was young(er) I could do almost anything it seemed like. Stay up late, get up early, work all day and then do it again. Since I started going to the jams during the week I find it really hard to recover from the late nights. Any suggestions. I was planning on doing this regularly in a year or so - I need a plan. Maybe meditation. They say it's like getting a night's sleep. I'm open to suggestions. What do you guys that play regularly and work (or not) do?
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon May 22, 2006 7:01 pm

I just can't keep up with the kind of schedule I used to keep - so I don't try.

When things get busy, I cut back on the drinking, and make sure I get enough sleep and at least one day to spend just chillin' with Jane.

Every once in a while, I just plunge on in and run myself ragged - and pay the price.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue May 23, 2006 12:26 am

Exercise.....!!!! Walk at least an hour a day..... Stretch out really well every morning..... Hot tea and honey. I quit drinking a long time ago so I don't have to worry about that.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue May 23, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks. I do exercise and stretch and don't drink or smoke very much. Almost never. Dan, I just downloaded some of your samples from your cd and I'm buyin it. I love it. Tommy, just got your cds the other day and thank you so much I am enjoying them. They rock.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 23, 2006 1:11 am

Too cool.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 23, 2006 1:21 am

>>> I need a plan. Maybe meditation.

Meth will get ya thru long stretches but it's hell on yer complexion and dentition! :shock:
I certainly hope yer NOT serious about MEDS! If ya can't do it on the natch and maintain w/ good diet and exercise then maybe it's not in the cards for ya! (Just MY opinion)
Mick
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue May 23, 2006 1:52 am

I heard a wise saying once and it has stuck with me, An Eagle that chases 2 rabbits lose both rabbits, so I consider my reg job and family first,that pays my bills and provides everything I need even funds for my music monkey,Dats my 1st Rabbit. I pursue my music to the point of non interference with my job and family security, There is no choice at this point if I had to choose it would be my familys comfort 1st music 2nd, however I have found ways to make both work, without interference, and I can and will maintain that ,just like the NY situation,I have not heard any new news but I will, the fear I have have of that is not my ability to play with the big boys, Iam a big boy, I know I could play with the best, and Iam not sayin dat to be cockie,thats not what Iam saying at all,what Iam sayin is ,How will it benifit me and my 1st rabbit, my family, and I am not chasin a 2nd Rabbit, If I find its all about the 1st rabbit then I will consider,doin it but if I loose track of the rabbit I have been chasin then I would be foolish to set out after a fresh Rabbit!! Gezz I got on a Rabbit trail!!!! But I hope it makes scense to you Lori>
601blues
Regular

Postby spud camp » Tue May 23, 2006 2:07 am

mickeypainless wrote:>>> I need a plan. Maybe meditation.

Meth will get ya thru long stretches but it's hell on yer complexion and dentition! :shock:

Its also a great weight loss program :? "most common side effects are: loss of teeth, sleep, family, friends, money, job, self esteem, and freedom.........

I dont gig so I cant say, but maybe just know your limits.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue May 23, 2006 2:16 am

:shock: By the way Guys!! Lori said Meditation NOT!!! medication!! big difference!!
601blues
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 23, 2006 3:01 am

>>> Lori said Meditation NOT!!! medication!!

HOLY CHIT, so she DID! MY BAD! I honestly read MEDICATION and was kinda surprised that she didn't include a smiley face or nuttin!
LL, please disregard my over bearing big brother syndrome in the earlier post!
Meditation is powerful stuff if you can get yer brain quiet enuff to let it work! I know fer me I have an entire board of directors in my head and NONE of em listen to the Chairman! LOL
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby De Ferre » Tue May 23, 2006 8:51 am

601blues wrote:I heard a wise saying once and it has stuck with me, An Eagle that chases 2 rabbits lose both rabbits, so I consider my reg job and family first,that pays my bills and provides everything I need even funds for my music monkey,Dats my 1st Rabbit. I pursue my music to the point of non interference with my job and family security, There is no choice at this point if I had to choose it would be my familys comfort 1st music 2nd, however I have found ways to make both work, without interference, and I can and will maintain that ,just like the NY situation,I have not heard any new news but I will, the fear I have have of that is not my ability to play with the big boys, Iam a big boy, I know I could play with the best, and Iam not sayin dat to be cockie,thats not what Iam saying at all,what Iam sayin is ,How will it benifit me and my 1st rabbit, my family, and I am not chasin a 2nd Rabbit, If I find its all about the 1st rabbit then I will consider,doin it but if I loose track of the rabbit I have been chasin then I would be foolish to set out after a fresh Rabbit!! Gezz I got on a Rabbit trail!!!! But I hope it makes scense to you Lori>

Too true... although you really almost confuse me with all those rabbits.
De Ferre
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 am

I get confused too!! But thats life Right!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue May 23, 2006 3:09 pm

LMFAO!!!! Too, too funny about the medication instead of meditation! I needed to laugh like that this morning. I know too many people with false teeth these days from doing meth. They never really come back to being themselves. They lose their teeth, their families, their souls. No, that is not an option. I am done with those days forever, though I was not a crankster.

Thanks, 601, for the whole rabbit stories. You are right and that is what I have been doing all along. Anything or anyone that takes me away from my responsibilities to my little family has to be put aside. But next year my girl goes to college(!). I thought I would play in a band and am seeing that I am so tired after staying out that I'll have to find a band with people my age, huh? The band that I was going to audition for but never called are young guys. Now I'm thinking I don't know if I could've done it with late nights.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 23, 2006 3:24 pm

"Too, too funny about the medication instead of meditation! "

Cracked me up, too.

I've gotta admit, I've gotten much better results with the latter, than the former.

BUT - eons ago, I worked with a guy who "Meditated" during his lunch hour - this was a fairly hippy-dippy bookstore - but evidently, no one had shown him HOW.

He knew it had something to do with sitting still...and breathing. So he'd Hyperventilate for as long as he could, alone in a dark room.

I didn't like the guy nearly enough to point him towards any of the many books that explain it in simple terms.

He was REALLY easy to wind up. He might have been better off with medication. I'm sure that by now, he and Prozac have some aquaintance.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Tue May 23, 2006 4:58 pm

I don't play out--can't find anybody to play with (sniff). But, during the summers I have a similar problem with coon hunting cutting into my sleep and impacting the farm work the next day. During the winter I can spend time in the woods with my dog and still get back in by bed time. Long summer days don't allow that.

Twenty years ago that wasn't a problem. I just seemed to not need sleep.

My solution has been afternoon naps. Except for when I'm in the hay field I can justify coming in during the heat of the day and then going back out refreshed after it begins to cool down a bit.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!