Book: Finding Robert Johnson

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Book: Finding Robert Johnson

Postby wwpete52 » Wed May 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Hats off to Gene Roebuck! I just finished reading his new book "Finding Robert Johnson:The Official Guide to the CrossGuitar Method & Secret Devil Tuning." If you are a fan of Robert Johnson (and Country Blues) this is MUST reading. The research that went into this book makes my head swim. I must admit that I have not put Gene's theory to the test yet but I will. I can see how this method will greatly simplify the use of open tunings. NOTE: Before you criticize Gene's theory read the book.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed May 17, 2006 10:29 pm

Okay, I haven't read the book but I'll probably pick it up some time. I do have to say though that I'm always sceptical about tclaims for a mystery secret tuning. Open Asus or something like that?Problem is that you can play the songs without this tuning. And while tunings like that aren't totally unprecedented, they are rare. So until we have a proper source (ie: Honeyboy Edwards or someone else who would actually know) I'm goiung to assume that this Secret Devil tunng is another example of the unfortunate mythmaking that keeps people from seeing what truly made Robert great.

That said, I'll still pick up the book and I'll be happy to change my mind. Wonder how the book deals with the slowed down reocerdings, particularly regarding capo placement?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu May 18, 2006 9:45 am

Hmm...
Looks like I'll have to get my grubby mitts on a copy of that, thanks for the heads-up.
stumblin
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 pm

Anybody want to 'share' the mystery tuning with us?

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:06 am

wwpete52
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri May 19, 2006 5:17 am

Very cool, now I want to buy it. Pete, did you get that drum video I sent you?
lorilu
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri May 19, 2006 6:44 am

lorilu wrote:Very cool, now I want to buy it. Pete, did you get that drum video I sent you?

No, I don't remember getting it (but my brain doesn't work as good as it use to).
wwpete52
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat May 20, 2006 3:52 pm

That's weird. I sent it quite a while ago. Same with the book to Chick French. That sucks I wonder what happened.
lorilu
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat May 20, 2006 4:48 pm

What is the "drum video"?
wwpete52
Regular

Postby spud camp » Sun May 21, 2006 2:36 pm

"Anybody want to 'share' the mystery tuning with us?"

First you have to go to the crossroads close to midnight.......Sorry, just dont really buy into the concept of "Devil Tuning" RJ was just VERY talented, but Im not so sure there was any soul selling, devil tuning, or hellhounds involved. Maybe dedication, passion, and pure talent, might have had something to do with it.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun May 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Sorry, Pete. It was Mike I sent it to. My brain is not working too well lately so sorry about that! He has a number after his name also. Ok now back to Robert Johnson.
lorilu
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun May 21, 2006 3:45 pm

spud camp wrote:"Anybody want to 'share' the mystery tuning with us?"

First you have to go to the crossroads close to midnight.......Sorry, just dont really buy into the concept of "Devil Tuning" RJ was just VERY talented, but Im not so sure there was any soul selling, devil tuning, or hellhounds involved. Maybe dedication, passion, and pure talent, might have had something to do with it.

The book has nothing to do with the devil or selling your soul to him. The author just calls in "devil tuning" as a catchy title. It's about a form of open tuning. It's worth the time of any serious blues guitar player to take a look at this method.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun May 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Sounds like a cool book to add to my library! Thanx for the tip!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Huddie Ledbetter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 am

Wow! I was thinking about buying a book about Johnson only this morning. What exactly it in the book? Is it just a study of his guitar technique?
And also, does anybody have the tab book with all his songs in? Is it any good, and are they in any way possible to play?
Huddie Ledbetter
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:25 pm

IS this the one that just came out within a month or so?

A few months back I read about an RJ book coming out in August, maybe this is it and they moved the date up. I read Robert Johnson book a while back, but I cant remember the title. It was about 80 pages.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!