Page 1 of 1

"Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 pm
by jeffl
We're playing one of our favorite annual gigs this weekend. We don't play it every year, but it's a picnic gig at what was originally a hippie farm commune. This commune's been around since the late 60's and has developed into a profitable organic food and plant enterprise. They own about 1000 acres of land in a big remote valley, and have their own education system and a nice community building with meeting facilities and a community swimming pool. The founder died about 7 years ago, but they still celebrate his birthday annually with a picnic and dance. he was a "Dr. Seuss" type character who stood almost 7 feet tall when he had his "Cat in the Hat" top hat on, set off by his German lederhosen and birkenstock sandals. He was usually shirtless. It's a wonderful gig, with great food and drink, and I always get the biggest enjoyment out of talking to the young kids, 'cuz even the 7-8 year olds are well educated, seemingly bright, and good conversationalists. I'm pretty sure they went drug-free a number of years back, 'cuz I've never seen anybody whacked out there. I'm guessing that they didn't start out that way in the 60's, lol. The gig usually requires us to dust off all our old Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield, Townes van Zandt, Graham Parsons, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, Foghat, Steve Earle, etc. type tunes, which is more than fine with me. Our fee goes to one of our favorite charities, as usual.

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 pm
by Jane fromLondonUK
Sounds brilliant! Ask them if they've got a spare tent (I wanna retire and play music all day every day). :D

Have fun!

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 am
by allanlummox
The "Muffin" was cancelled this year - tents in a field with a stage at one end, old Hippies (and their progeny), a great party. When we get down to the Bay Area next month, I'll be trying to hook up with as many Muffineers as I can - which is somehow not the same thing at all...

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm
by dcblues
Sounds great, except for the hippies. When it comes to hippies, I pretty much agree with Eric Cartman from South Park. :)

I have my favorite annual gig this Saturday: http://www.waldorfeggfest.com/

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:58 pm
by jeffl
allanlummox wrote:The "Muffin" was cancelled this year - tents in a field with a stage at one end, old Hippies (and their progeny), a great party. When we get down to the Bay Area next month, I'll be trying to hook up with as many Muffineers as I can - which is somehow not the same thing at all...
That's a shame Lummo; those kinds of things are hard to replace. But, everything has its season.

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm
by jeffl
Now I've been scratchin' my head, tryin' to figure out what gear & cables I need to take out there. Our guy who lined it up doesn't seem to know where we're playin' at this place. They've got an outdoor stage and an indoor one, and we told 'em that if the gig stretched into the evening that we didn't want to play outdoors. The condensation in the air in that valley is terribly hard on guitars and and equipment; we've experienced that before at previous shows there. To make communication tougher, the guy from our group who lined it up is playin' a gig the night before about 100 miles north of there, and he won't be gettin' back into town until just before our gig, so he's not gonna be alotta help for last minute arrangements. I personally don't give a darn, but I've run into situations where other guys will bitch at you a little, with the "why didn't you bring this or that" bullshit. It's the downside of just being a schlock jamband with no set roles or responsibilities. There's no well-oiled machine, even though we've played together a long time.

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:28 pm
by jaybee
jeffl wrote:... situations where other guys will bitch at you a little, with the "why didn't you bring this or that" bullshit. It's the downside of just being a schlock jamband with no set roles or responsibilities. There's no well-oiled machine, even though we've played together a long time.


in my book, if there's no set roles / responsibilities, everyone is responsible for his own gear, so if you don't bring it yourself, you don't bitch at someone else :roll:

Re: "Hippie Commune" Gig

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:28 pm
by jeffl
jaybee wrote:
jeffl wrote:... situations where other guys will bitch at you a little, with the "why didn't you bring this or that" bullshit. It's the downside of just being a schlock jamband with no set roles or responsibilities. There's no well-oiled machine, even though we've played together a long time.


in my book, if there's no set roles / responsibilities, everyone is responsible for his own gear, so if you don't bring it yourself, you don't bitch at someone else :roll:
I agree with that sentiment, but this bunch is so tight that sometimes we act like a bunch of brothers, so chippy stuff can occur without thought for peoples' feelings. The group decided to play longer than we had anticipated ( 'cuz it was so much fun apparently ) but I had to leave before they quit, so I left some of my gear for them to use. I didn't like doin' that..it was an amp and 2 mics, and a power junction.. but they assured me that I'd have it all back on Tuesday. I've known all these guys forever, so we'll see how this goes.