No Brainer

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

No Brainer

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:09 pm

3 options for tonite: sit in with a rock/surf band that plays a little blues,playin' at a blues club; sit in with a rock/country band that plays a little blues,at a small town 75 miles from home; or,stay home and jam guitar/harp duo with my buddy. Door #3,no doubt.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: No Brainer

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:11 am

Sounds like a plan.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:55 pm

If these other bands "play a little blues", I have to wonder how good they are at it. I know they got 10,000 lakes up there, but a surf band in Minnesota...I'm still laughing. I wonder how many folks from Minnesota have actually been surfing without a computer?

Door #3.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:23 pm

>If these other bands "play a little blues", I have to wonder
>how good they are at it. I know they got 10,000 lakes up
>there, but a surf band in Minnesota...I'm still laughing. I
>wonder how many folks from Minnesota have actually been
>surfing without a computer?
>
>Door #3.
Those guys are a pretty good band..real good musicians. It is weird to hear a band that plays "Walk,Don't Run",and "TelStar",but they're a great string band, 2 guitars,bass,and drums. I've played with 'em a coupla times,and rehearsed with 'em. Bosco,didn't you know that the hit tune "Surfin' Bird" came outa Minneapolis in the 60's...? I got a buddy who played in that band--I think it was "The Trailer Men", or the "Trash Men", or sumpin' like that..pretty funny now.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:38 pm

Personally, I would go with the rock/surf band that plays a little blues in a minute. I love Surf. But I don't think a harp player would fit in too well. So what did you do???
nizer
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Pipeline! :P

I never used to like normal music, but as a kid when I heard an old 60's compilation CD, that instrumental "Pipeline", I quite liked it.
Now you've got me thinking...Pipeline on slide guitar? Stranger things have happened...
cheyenne
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Hey, my band plays "Sleepwalk," which was covered by the Ventures but first done by Johnny and Santo in 1959. I love that song and it always packs the dancefloor...but it's not a harp tune and probably the only number we have that could be considered "surf". Nice stuff to listen to, but I'd rather play my harp...and play to blues.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:13 am

>Pipeline! :P

Yeah, Italian music!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:05 am

>Personally, I would go with the rock/surf band that plays a
>little blues in a minute. I love Surf. But I don't think a
>harp player would fit in too well. So what did you do???
I stayed home and played. 'N' yer right,Nizer-- surf and harp aren't bedmates,but I played with these guys at this club a coupla months ago, and they just do a surf set, and then a blues set,and the crowd seems to be fine with it; I think it's got somethin' to do with the band's ability and attitude. They're good. First of all, their drummer is phenomenal to work with. The guy is flawless in every way: he has great touch,great tuning taste, a great ear, great communication ability, a very good voice for singing... he's just a great musician. And I've worked with the bassist in another band, and I just love him. He's a road veteran, and when he's got somethin' to tell you in rehearsal, he's direct and right on, and he doesn't make you feel like he's puttin' you down. I respect him,and I like playin' with him. I just don't like havin' to sit out too much, or losin' the groove by screwin' around with other forms of music. I would guess I'll have opportunities to play with these guys in the future,but I don't wanna get stuck playin' keyboards with 'em,'cuz I just don't wanna take the time away from my harp playin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs