How much sound equipment?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: How much sound equipment?

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:26 pm

If your band plays loud, then you need some power. If you keep tryin' to jack the volume up on the PA to keep up with the band,when you hit its limits,yer gonna get clipping,and you still won't be able to hear the vocals. Nothin' worse than vocals that sound like a tub of mud behind loud instruments. Alot depends on how loud yer drummer plays,and how he eq's his drums. If the drummer's loud,the band will probably be loud. Solo acts like Grady's don't have the same problems as loud bands,but he can prob'ly tell you some PA nightmare stories from his band days.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:38 pm

Yep,,,it's much better to have way more power than you need than to stand in front of a Mic screaming till your throat feels like it's full of broken glass.
I've been there,,,done that.
All the while the dumbass Bass player who owns the Pa is telling you to get closer to the Mic while I'm chipping my Teeth on the freakin' Shure SM58.
A Band can never,,,EVER have too much power in their PA system.

I've seen way too many bands whose Vocalist sounds like crap because he can't hear himself in the Monitors.
grady
Regular

Postby dgdgbd » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:07 pm

of course, for most of the gigs I've played in the past year, I could get my whole rig - guitar bag, bag of CD's to sell, and myself - into Grady's passenger seat...well, I'd be cramped, but you get the idea.

I haven't gushed in a while about how happy I've been with the Ritter case I'm hauling my guitar around in. It's put together like a piece of outdoor equipment, has a LOT of real estate inside, and looks great. The perfect cover for a guitar built like an indusrial machine.

http://www.ritter-bags.com/images/style-1/style1-d.jpg
dgdgbd
Regular

Postby randy101 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:27 pm

A PA that has some power yet turned down to a reasonable level sounds much better than a small set up that is straining.

I am tired of lugging stuff in and setting up while some lazy azz drummer keeps disappearing whenever there is work to be done. Same thing with after the show. I don't know where he hides at but he is really good at it.
randy101
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:40 am

>of course, for most of the gigs I've played in the past
>year, I could get my whole rig - guitar bag, bag of CD's to
>sell, and myself - into Grady's passenger seat...well, I'd
>be cramped, but you get the idea.
>

you're Welcome to ride with me anytime Dan.
and,,,that's a great looking gig bag.
grady
Regular

Postby dgdgbd » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:48 am

Mr. Musick, I'd stash my trash... or my cash ... in your car any time.

But I've been drinking too much tonight and can't find my keys...

so I'm not much of a judge.
dgdgbd
Regular

Postby boz » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:30 am

My last "gig" I took a Carvin mic, mic stand, cord and Roland Micro Cube, Gibson J-45 and a Cigarbox Guitar.
It all fit on the back seat of the Chevy.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:38 pm

Well now we're replacing the 15" Sunns with Peavey SP2's for around $800.00. A local store has them on sale for $399.00 per. The guitarist/sound guy is buying them. I'm taking the Sunns off his hands for $100.00 per and plan on replacing the speakers with some new Peavey Scorpions. This I am doing to round out my portable PA. The reason for the speaker change is to give two additional 15's in the event we should need them. We are recording right now to come up with a demo CD, it is my desire to gig the band in Salt Lake City where there is more money. My town blows when it comes to paying bands. $100.00 to $150.00 is about all a bands gonna make. I have friends in Salt Lake who won't even look at Ogden anymore because the pay is so low. I am going to our steady gig today to get some more dates for the next three months. The boys in the band want me to ask for more money. This I will do but I not much of a negotiater. The bar gave us our first gig lnowing we do mostly originals. The owner, a woman, likes what we do and shakes her booty on the dance floor when we are there but her joint doesn't get alot of patrons. The first set or two there are alot of people but my 11 pm the joint clears out to maybe a few. Maybe it's us making them leave.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 pm

My brother owns a sound company and over the years has acquired about 5 totally different, seperate PA's up to and including a 24 box large outdoor rig (12 subs and 12 top boxes). Since I got to watch everybody we know show up and 'bum' gear I decided early that wasn't something that I wanted to get in the habit of doing. So, I kept my eyes open and collected up 2 double 18 bass bins, 2 top cabs (1x15 and a horn), 4 monitors, and all the other accessories (mike stands, mikes,compressors, gates, effects units, and a few reliable power amps). I don't always use the bass bins (except for large venues) but the rest gets used quite often. Keeping the van up and running to haul it all around is the biggest problem.

Most touring acts do not carry their own PA's and the contract rider specifies what equipment and PA they will accept. I've seen some real specific riders over the years too.

I've seen and heard Gradys rig and, suprisingly, it does all fit into his car... Works quite well too.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs