How much sound equipment?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

How much sound equipment?

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:04 pm

For the first couple of shows we did our pa was a portable Behringer I have,two 15 inchers out to the crowd and two 12's back at us. The vocals, piano and the guitar ran thru the pa. Drums and my bass were stand alone. We have drug my 12 inch guitar cab out for the guitarist twice so he could also stand alone and out of the pa. He plays thru a 40 watt Marshall combo. Those shows went well, the crowd seemed to like what we were doing. Now we drag this huge 24 channel mixer with two amps a cosmos and equalizer with us. It all comes in a rack. Four speakers to the crowd and three monitors back at us. The drummer and I share a monitor. The amps are 900 watts per. We use this sytem to record with. This system sounds good but it's a chore to pack up and down stairs. It must weigh 180 pounds. Everything goes thru the mixer now. We might have blown one of the 15's last time we were up. This system sound good in the bars with high ceilings but our main gig is a bar with 8 foot ceilings. Seems like alot for simple electric blues. I favor simplicity in everything. By the time I get home I am jammed out and worn out. We are a power blues band. What does everyone else pack around for their gigs? Big or small systems?
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: How much sound equipment?

Postby oleman » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:48 pm

That sure is a lot of stuff BD. We play in a very small bar and the Crate 150w 4channel, 2 monitors, 2 mains, 2 mics & sometimes we run the harp mic thru the PA. Three small amps and thats it. Ten minutes form the parking lot to playing. A little longer tearin down because us four middle aged guys are a little tuckered out and might have had a few to many DosXX.

Sometimes we invite friends to sit in and we have no problem finding a jack for them to plug into and we double up on vocal mics a lot. Old school approach. The bartender sort of runs sound for us as she has a keen ear. A mixer sure would be nice though. This house band gig is new to us all and it sure tempting to get a bigger rig in case we need one for a larger venue. We have used this rig for outside parties/BBQs and it is more than enough.

I'll be leavin in about an hour to set it all up again. We used to leave it on stage covered with a tarp, but stuff had a tendency to be borrowed and never returned. Watch your back Bigdaddy!!
oleman
Regular

Postby chick french » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:07 am

The older ya get the less you need. Thats goes for sound equipment too!

Remember...travel light and get paid the same!
chick french
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:31 am

I have two different PA Systems.

I can use them seperately or together depending on the Venue.

Mackie DFX-6 Mixer
Alesis Midiverb III and Alesis 3630 Compressor
2- 15 inch 800 watt powered speakers with 2 inch Titanium Drivers

Peavey XR-600G Powered Mixer (450 watts)
2- 15 inch Peavey Speakers

I use a Fender 1270 Powered Monitor
grady
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:40 pm

We have some touring bands come thru who stand up their amps and play. They use the house pa which is a Mackie 8 channel mixer/amp with only vocals and the bass drum amped with it. I have noticed the vocals are a bit muddied but that's more to do with the beat up amp. The thing has one channel that doesn't even work. We're a bar band, nothin' big. The guitarist is a sound dude. He talkin' about $700 more for two Peavey speakers instead of just puttin some new 15's in the Sunn cabs. I asked him if there will come a time when we are done, finished buying stuff for the sound. He looked at me like I was crazy. He says how we sound is important and the speakers are the weak link in that chain at the moment. That cosmos he added did clean up the sound immensly. Dyno clean now. He has been talkin' puttin' everything into different cases which would lighten the load, split it up into a few different cases instead of that one big ol' cabinet that everythings in now. It is alot of gear. He's also talkin' doing subwoofers thru this 1500 watt amp, says my bass would be felt. Does a blues bass need to be felt or just heard? He does have excellaent music ears tho.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:39 pm

>Does a blues bass need to be felt or just heard?

Just heard.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:46 am

We're just getting started, and use a Kustom set up we got from Guitar Center for $350. Our mics and stands are borrowed from our lead guitarist's church. Our bass player uses his own amp, and we use two 15 year old in line boss moniters. We recently played a Christmas party for @200 at a rented ball room, and had plenty of sound...more than we needed. I don't have a clue about all this stuff, but at least I know where to plug things in. It sets up and breaks down in 10 minutes easy. Pictures of the stuff are here:
http://www.ukeblue.com/haverhill2005.html
1four5
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 am

I use a passport deluxe 250 PA. It all snaps together, weighs 60 pounds, and will easily fit the back seat of a car. I use 1 mic, for vocals and my harp(mostly on a rack). The drummer, bassist, and my guitar amp, all go un mic'd. I place the pa speakers on the stands it came with, behind me, so they act as monitors as well. Total PA set up time is about 5 minutes. I can't understand mic'ing stuff other than the vocals, unless you are playing to more than a couple hundred people. Music is to darn loud nowadays. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:29 pm

We don't play loud, really we don't. With all the power we drag around the volume stays pretty low. The guitarist is also an electronic buff. Has alot of stuff plus he's always lookin' for something new. Repairs all his amps and things. Put new pickups, pots and switches into my bass. As I have said, simplicity is my way of life. This guy bought a computer back when they were just starting out, learned the thing inside and out and now has his ouw computer program company and does well. Funny how people get together. I am so simple and this guy is so complicated but laying down the tunes we work well together. The piano/singer also is an electronic buff and is very knowledgable, so between the two we have gimmicks. Hell, when they talk the drummer and I stand there wonderin' what's being said. The drummer is like I am, old school simplicity.
The hard part of this is watching the guitarist stress out until he has everything adjusted for the room. He plays cordless, walks around the bar then back to the mixer for adjustments. I have tried to get him to use the small system but he won't have anything to do with it.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:34 am

always too much when you're loading, never enough while you're playing...
jaybee
Regular

Postby bluesfyre » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:00 pm

We still rent most of our sound system, just before we play. Good thing is, the store knows what I want and has the same equipment ready for pick-up the day before. We lucked out this week, as we have a gig on the friday night, and new's year's eve. It consists of 2 X 15" peavey speakers, 1 self contained stage monitor, 8 channel mixer, 2 X Shure 58's, and all the cables. The Bass and guitar are stand alone. The Sax plays through a clip on mic, through the PA. The three vocal mics are directly through the PA, and my harp are miced through the PA, as well as the Bass drum. The whole PA system costs us approx. $100.00 CA per rental. When we become rich and famous, we'll buy a PA. :-)

Mick
http://www.soundclick.com/badpoetry
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:40 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-05 AT 10:42 AM (EST)]We've got enough gear to contruct a PA in four or five different configurations. Some large EV bottoms with 15's and 12's, JBL horns about 2 feet wide that match the cab width of the EVs. A pair of Custom/home made bottoms with twin 15s. Small cabs with 12 in Altec Lansings that can be pole mounted for frontals or double as stage monitors. Two 12 in wedge stage monitors. Half rack with Beringer 10 channel powered mixer and Yamaha and Crown power amps.

Most of the clubs we play are small to mid size and especially in the winter months with a lot of snow and ice we opt for minimal setups. The 12 inch ALs on trees and two stage monitors. With the exception of the drums, we can get all of the gear into two vehicles and that includes four instrument amps, mic stands and lights (two cases).

If we play outdoors at a Pig Roast or Festival, we still have enough gear and power to lay the hair back on your head (provided you have any or that it is necessary, of course!)

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:34 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-05 AT 01:36 AM (EST)]I guess I did too many gigs with the old guys. If you couldn't fit it all in a station wagon, then something was wrong. We would load drums, bass, bass amp, guitars, guitar amps, and 4-5 band members in a station wagon. Most clubs had some sort of PA, that was used mainly for vocals.

Now, if I can't fit my PA, guitars, guitar amp, bass, bass amp, and drums, in my mini van, then somebody got to go. Most pros never travel with a PA. It has been my obsevation over the years, that those that tote all this tons of gear, do it for a hobby. A working blues band could never afford to run a big enough vehicle big to carry a PA with monitors, stacks, etc, and a roadie to set it all up, and break it down. That takes too long as well. They are to busy driving around the clock,to make the next gig. Guys like Albert Collins and Albert King, always had busses, but that was for sleeping and driving. They never carried a PA, because they would have to carry it and set it up themselves. Too much work for an old man.

I feel kind of primadona like, having my own PA, even if it only weighs 65 pounds complete. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:15 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-05 AT 02:16 AM (EST)]Can you believe that I fit the following,,,,

Peavey XR600G PA Mixer
One Monitor
2- Peavey PR 15 PA Speakers w/Stands
2- Gig bags
a Guitar Amp
Between 2-5 Guitars
4-5 Mic Stands

all into a Ford Focus ZX-3 ???

with room for someone else to ride in the Passenger seat.

I carry a PA System because,,,I like using my own Equipment.
I know what I have,,I know that it works.

Plus,,I get around 32-35 MPG.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:22 pm

>Can you believe that I fit the following,,,,
>
>Peavey XR600G PA Mixer
>One Monitor
>2- Peavey PR 15 PA Speakers w/Stands
>2- Gig bags
>a Guitar Amp
>Between 2-5 Guitars
>4-5 Mic Stands
>
>all into a Ford Focus ZX-3 ???

Yep. I'm impressed. I think you've got a black hole hidden in the back of that thing. It's like a circus clown car that they keep on coming out of, only with gear.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs