Guest Musician Blues

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Guest Musician Blues

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:43 pm

I stopped at a bar on the way home from our band meeting last nite. I had never heard the band,and had wanted to catch 'em, so I dropped in for a late set. I was surprised to see one of my old roommates from the '70s drummin' for 'em. He invited me up for a coupla tunes,and we started off with "Sweet Home Chicago". They gave me the first break (on harp),and when it came to the 2nd one, their guitar player took off on a great ramblin' solo,and after one cycle he eyeballed me to jump in,and I just waved him on for another go-round..it was a great solo. I thought his teeth were gonna fall out,he was so shocked that I wasn't tryin' to steal the tune. During the break,I got talkin' to the guitar player,and he said that he had alotta fun playin' with me...that he usually cringes when a guest harper gets up,and that it was the first time he'd ever been waved around again by a guest harper. It wuz fun to meet and play with some more good musicians from my area...you never know when connections will come in handy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Guest Musician Blues

Postby lorilu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:37 am

I guess when someone is not playing from the ego it would make it more fun for all the players. How enjoyable for you and them. And the audience. Sometimes playing music just can get too competitive and critical but when you reach that higher level it must be blissful. Probably hard to get there requiring constant work on oneself, one's skills and one's attitude.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Sounds like fun, Bubba. Spreading that kind of musical karma will do wonders down the line.
bluejay
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Great that you had a good time with some pros!

There are way too many bummer stories about set ins and egos already.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:09 pm

True humility is knowin who and what ya are and bein totally okay with it!
Good onya Bubs!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm

Well,after I heard the guitar player rip thru one break on that tune,I thought, "Holy crap...that was good...let's hear another one." It was a great rambling,middle register,kinda low tenor run that jus' came at you like a herd of horse goin' out through a gate. They gave me my break,so I may as well return the favor. It takes a little nerve to invite a guy up who you don't know (only the drummer knew me) to do some tunes...I always try to be sensitive to the fact that it's their gig,and their reputation.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:02 pm

(only the drummer knew me)

Yeah and we all know NOT to trust a drummer! :+
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:56 am

Good thinking there, Micky.

Maybe we can change the world!

I went on the chatroom last night and Brass Finger was there for a bit which was fun, then he left and no one else came by! Where was everyone?

Seriously, the best of the best musicians I've met have been humble. And humility honors others.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:06 am

The chatroom used to be busy on Sunday nights about 3 years ago, we had a lot of fun and some great laughs.

When Yahoo messenger came along, about a dozen of us hooked up to that. We could chat whenever we wanted without waiting until Sunday and the BigRoad chat gradually dried up. The Yahoo has gradually died out now, so the Chatroom here is probably ripe to start up again. My band practices on Sundays, but if I get home in time and I'm halfway sober, I'll check in on y'all.

In the meantime you could make a post in "Talking Blues" and announce the Chat's open for biz again and stir up some interest. I'll bet there's a ton of newer members who don't even know about the fun we used to have there or that it's available.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs