Looking For A Band

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Looking For A Band

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 pm

I went to the jam (late) at this brewery downtown. Great place and the guys who run it are so cool. If anyone is in this area, it's called Full Circle Brewing Company in Fresno. It was the first blues jam and it wasn't too bad. I did not play. When I got there a really awesome drummer got up and there was no way, not at this time. He was really good. He ruined it afterwards by saying very loudly at the end of the jam, "who tuned these drums?" That took him down a lot of notches for me. He could have quietly asked "mind if I tweak these drums a little?" I feel that you work hard at playing, practicing working on your skills and then it's grace. Grace takes you that extra step or mile and it almost doesn't come from you. It's like you have opened up to receive whatever this muse or inspiration and if you start to get arrogant and take all the credit - well... We all know guys who are really good players and are miserable and not quite as good as they could be and they know it. I'm thinking the arrogance - seriously. It's gotta block inspiration. I had a friend for several years that I really enjoyed playing with and talking music and when he started getting more success he kind of changed. I know guys that can build anything, fix cars, rebuild cars, read blueprints and build an entire home or what have you. That is awesome. I think about all that before I get carried away with myself. Car engines are rocket science. I admire the ability to understand how a combustible engine works. And mechanics definitely get competitive also. Again, if you are really good you don't need to let everyone know, put other people down, and be an arrogant a-hole.
lorilu
Regular

Postby david » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:51 pm

Good luck to you! Mainly, don't forget to have fun.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:18 am

LL, Remember music isn't a competition, it's an art. Don't worry about who's better than who. Just be as true to the music as you can and have a good time. Do not tolerate egos that have control issues.
Try starting your OWN band and audition people that You can have fun with and play the kind of music you all enjoy. Too bad I don't follow my own advice. I'll play with anybody that asks me and constantly ask myself; "what was I thinkin." Good Luck!!
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:35 am

People seem to make it a competition. But you're right screw all these people it's time for a change in me since the outside world and the people in it aren't going to. I think I'm starting to understand. Finally! With a little help.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:02 am

>I feel that you work hard at playing, practicing working on your skills and then it's grace. Grace takes you that extra step or mile and it almost doesn't come from you<

Wow, that's beautiful. And very true, at least for me. Thank you for some great words to ponder while starting a new week.
1four5
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:36 pm

Alcohol: I love the stuff, but there are times I will turn it down, all you have to do is tell people gently that you are happy for them to enjoy, but for now you are off it. Don't even give a reason, just tell them that you're not doing for now.

The competitive thing, I've walked away from people like that; I have motorcycle racing to let that part of me loose. Music is communication, emotion, anybody wants to score points has missed the point totally.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:47 pm

LoriLu,
Be happy that you have a choice of folks to play with! Out here in the hinter land of Kentucky I've never found anyone to just swap tunes with.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:38 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-06 AT 07:40 AM (EST)]I've been thinking this through. Female, right height, age, single. Plays bass & drums. Paints cars. Likes bikers. Does that there dancing.

How far is it to California, what time are the flights?.

Trust me, someone out there is looking for you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:44 am

I know Maxx, too good to be true, huh. I keep to myself too much and am actually shy. And particular. I am trying to get out more as my daughter is growing up and getting on with things. I also try not to get in trouble which I used to really like to do so I do tend to stay closer to home and not make as many connections. We all struggle don't we. Still looking for band situation and may end up back with the old band but I don't get real excited about it. I haven't gotten any calls but a lot of hang-ups from my flyers. It hasn't been that long since I put them up.

There's a big blues benefit for one of our young musicians this weekend so I'll be out and about. This kid was amazing blues guitar player and songwriter. It was like he was re-incarnated. I was friends with his mom. He got in a bad accident with the people he was partying with. They flipped the car and the driver was killed and he broke pelvis, legs and severed a nerve in his left arm. He has no feeling in that arm so hopefully they will be able to do something for him. The best in our area are performing in his honor. Something like 5 or 6 bands and a pre show with food outside the theater. I'm going to ask around if the situation presents itself.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Well, if you're going to be particular, I'm not even going to the airport.

Good luck at the gig, and let's hope for progress on the kid's arm.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:25 am

Hey Maxx,

I called about Cole, the young man and he's going through therapy and they are hopeful they might do some reconnection. They were drinking and going over 100mph in a residential and flipped after hitting some landscape boulders from what I've been told.

Maxx, I thought your dream drummer was short, brought the booze and didn't mind you being married. But seriously, thanks for your encouragement and humor it is appreciated.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Look, a man's got to have some sort of hobby....
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:28 pm

A guitar player called and he's pretty young but not that young. He is in another band but wants to jam and loves blues. So that's a start. It's been one week since I put up the flyers. That's not too bad. He sounds nice and likes the drums I play and thinks it's cool that I'm a female drummer. For the right reasons. Movin right along.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Excellent!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:07 am

I'm doing some work over at the brewery downtown and they have an old Ludwig set on the stage so I played for awhile and it was just so good. Just jammed. I got another call from a young guy who wants a drummer for their band. What sounded good is that they write and switch off on some of the instruments. We will see. This time it wasn't that I was female as much as me being older. I thought by putting blues on the flyer that people might be a little older but I'm getting younger ones calling. I'll hold out for the right situation but it's an interesting process.
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs