Looking For A Band

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Looking For A Band

Postby lorilu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Well, I guess it's time. I am going to try to find a band maybe not the band of your lifetime but a band for right now. I'm starting in the town I will be working in today. It's scary but I guess I'll be the one to put up a "Drummer Looking for...". In the past I've replied to ads and really never found the right music. So this way I get more specific. Last band's playlist that I spoke with had Eddie Money's "2 Tickets to Paradise" a bunch of Lynnard Skynnard and the like. I asked why they didn't skip LS and go straight to the Allman Brothers and the guy said "yeah, maybe you do live too far away." Just thinking about that makes me feel discouraged but we must keep up the fight. I think that it is time to get out there. Maybe a looking to jam kind of thing would be better. Wish me luck.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Looking For A Band

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:26 pm

If I can encourage you in any way, my 2 cents is to ask around for a band that may only need temporary help. Sometimes bands lose a drummer and have gigs lined up that are in danger of being cancelled,so they'll take somebody on in a panic. In the meantime,jus' drop into clubs and catch bands for a set or two,and meet people the way you always have. Jus' judgin' by yer openness around here,I'd say you network quickly. Good luck,and keep goin' forward. I've been in the middle of a crumbling band situation for about 3-4 months, and it's been very trying,with all the ups and downs.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:13 am

Thanks, Bubba for the encouragement. Things seem a little bleak in this area that I've seen lately. But I will try that. That's not a bad idea. I'm a little scared too, to be honest. We have a blues jam at a club but it is run by another female drummer who has made it real difficult for me and I'll have to avoid that if I want to get anywhere. We also have a lot of substance problems with the guys who are actually playing the music that I like so they are unreliable to say the least. What I did today was to go to a neighboring town where I was working and put up flyers at the 3 main music stores with my number that you can tear off. I just put a big BLUES across it and said what I was looking for.

After reading all the feedback from "dream drummer" I have to say, even so, at least around here, there are quite a few really good drummers. Maybe not blues, though and that is what I love to play. It is hard putting yourself out there. I can't travel too much, still have my daughter at home so I can't be in a too established band yet. We'll see what this brings and it may not be the right time still. But I did write I would like to join, form a band or a regular jam so we shall see.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:34 pm

there are quite a few really good drummers. Maybe not blues, though, and that is what I love to play.

Lorilu-

Howdy. If you stick with the "Blues drummer" theme, you should be OK. While there are good drummers around, you are absolutely correct in saying they are probably not blues drummers. Good blues drummers are VERY hard to find.

Keep it simple and stick with the timekeeping. We just traded in our original drummer of a year and a half. He was always trying to "add something to the music", his words, with these horrendous rolls and crashes that would cause him to drop the beat. When he wasn't doing that, he was either speeding up or slowing down...all in the same song!

Our new drummer is a straightforward impeccable timekeeper, just what the doctor ordered, but he comes with a bit of an attitude. I guess that was the tradeoff.

Keep it simple and don't make any waves and you should be fine. :D

You go girl!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Best of luck, there will be someone like me & everyone else here just crying out for what you bring; you just have to have faith.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:50 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's hard to put yourself out there. I went to 2 more music stores down in my town today and put up my flyer with my tear off numbers. My friend was working and he made me write down some numbers which I am about to call. The other store another drummer I know was working and he was really encouraging. I just want to skip over the stuff I've already been through so I'll just have to be careful. I called a guy who I played with and they wanted me back but it's the easy way out. I'm not really inspired, he's a bit controlling, it's too loud in a small practice room.

My dream band would be, of course, good people, where you can grow and expand as a musician. Maybe some originals since I write and if they do all covers please not the same usual stuff that everyone does. I like an edge, I love guitar solos that rock. A kinda funky soulful bass player would be bitchin. Some real vocals. Practices that are regular and enjoyable. Humor would really be good and if they lookeded good but not too good so I could concentrate. No, I can concentrate it doesn't matter how they look. I would like to be able to be comfortable.

Hey, I went on the chatroom. Where was everyone? Brass Finger was there for a bit, we had a meeting of the minds, then he left and no one else came by. It was fun, I've never been in a chat room.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:19 pm

Ok if they looked good? Most players I know have the perfect face for radio.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:27 am

>
>My dream band would be, of course, good people, where you
>can grow and expand as a musician. Maybe some originals
>since I write and if they do all covers please not the same
>usual stuff that everyone does. I like an edge, I love
>guitar solos that rock. A kinda funky soulful bass player
>would be bitchin. Some real vocals. Practices that are
>regular and enjoyable. Humor would really be good and if
>they lookeded good but not too good so I could concentrate.
>No, I can concentrate it doesn't matter how they look. I
>would like to be able to be comfortable.

Put that in a serious message to the universe. We always get what we wish for! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:54 am

Thanks I was already getting discouraged just by one band I talked to. Big attitude for playing Journey covers etc. Jeez. Their ad said "established blues-rock band" - not.

What about when they say be careful what you wish for - you might get it. Should I hone my wishes for my dream band? Is it really possible? I am not one for settling. And if I don't like how I'm treated I will move on and not look back. I just wonder if the people I would like to be in a band with exist. Or just online. An online band! Now, maybe that's the ticket. A virtual jam. That's why I'm here. I miss the exchange with musicians and have found it here.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 am

There is no "perfect" band so stop looking. When you mix personalities there is strain and stress. Keep movin' on and don't compromise yourself. You sound like you're not real confident in your abilities. Lose that. If you can drum then drum. The advice to keep it simple is good advice. Don't be sexed down. Your a woman drummer, in the music world you should be viewed as a drummer that is female. Musicians can be ego freaks. Demand respect and then prove that you deserve respect. Most of all, don't stop.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:14 am

Don't be sexed down.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:05 am

You're right. It's hard to stay confident and I have let myself get psyched out one too many times. I've come up against a lot of people who I have let make me feel bad. And doubt myself. I would'nt be here if I didn't know that I can do it - have done it -but man it's hard. The people who have put me down for whatever reasons are in the same place, musically, that they were years ago. I withdrew from the arena to add to my skills and take care of my child. She's older and I can get out a little more now.

I don't know if I'm looking for the perfect band, but better than I've had. I don't want to play 70's covers from bands I never even listened to. I have a chance to go back to a band that the music is better than that but it's not that enjoyable. Vocals are ? I feel like I should be looking forward to practice. I want to grow with a band and have that thing when you just musically - it's just that thing like sex - I won't take that further but you know what I'm talking about. How do you settle when you've experienced the possibilities of really making music. I really appreciate the feedback. Bring it on. Thanks.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 pm

You need the groove, the connection. That's the start and end of it. It's out there, just keep looking. I do.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:12 pm

My gift in music is songwriting. As a boy kids would tease because I sang and sang badly but I was singing my songs. As a teenage drummer I was wild, like Keith Moon, but I played. I was to hard for cover bands, and most musicians then could not handle originals. People put me down for that. I did okay on bass and I still play bass in a band. I have had singing moments when I got a compliment on my voice. Rare tho. Once I sang Honky Tonk Woman and some ladies said I sounded just like Mick. I ain't sure if that was a compliment or not. This Tuesday I am taking my first singing lesson. I will be 50 years old on Super Bowl Sunday. I still dream in music. The band I am with now play mostly the songs I have written but something lacks. It's not the way I hear it in my head with the vocals. I am giving these lesson 6 months and if I improve then I am gonna sing and bass. Music is like sex. After sex I am tired, winded and my blodd is pumpin'. After a gig I am tired, winded and my blood is pumpin'. Perhaps some on this site wouldn't call my music blues because it is hard at times, driving electric blues. I love that stuuf. The point of the post is never give up, never! Be what you are because if you're not then what are you. I pray I can play and write songs to my dyin' day. I love to create. I'm gonna try out my singing lessons this summer busking for money to give to the food kitchen here in my town. I'm excited. Stay excited, stay in love with drumming and understand, along with sunshine some rain is gonna fall.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:30 pm

Big Daddy (and Maxx),

Thank you so much for that. I'm not really a poor player but lack confidence and have let the fear overtake me. I have let other people make me doubt myself. Today, I am hoping for a breakthrough even a small one. I noticed a blues jam this afternoon and I don't think I know the people which is good. If I can just relax enough. It's at a brewery but I don't like to drink and play.

It is really cool that you have a band that plays your originals. I wish you much success with the lessons. Although Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and many more are awesome writers and successful. I personally like my vocals a little raw, with feeling and passion. I love electric blues. I just like things to be real. I have taken lessons and have found simple things these guys have passed on to me have had much value. Just stamina alone. How my hands are, my setup, all that allows me to play longer, more steady and solid. Lining everything up. My goal is to provide the solid groove for the band to rely on be inspired by and let loose with some real moving music. I don't know if I will ever do a solo and this has never been of interest to me. If it had a point, maybe. Like some kind of incredible African or Latin thing that I learned from a really great drummer and could be accomplished with skill precision and feeling. But that's a way's away. And it is of no importance to me.

I'm thinking you're vocal problems could even be something as simple as breathing listening for tone stuff like that. Miss Carol would know about this. And some others here have written some really good things about that. I wish you much luck. And thanks for your words.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs