A Bad, Bad gig.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: A Bad, Bad gig.

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm

Worst Gig Ever!! I was hired by a lounge that is located in a 5 star hotel to do 2 nights thur-sat solo set, Thur night OK however when you do that type gig its hit or miss on the blues, Sat night I was sittin up ,there was a diff bar tender.A very young girl and a couple of guys at the bar was handin her crap, They had me stuck in the corner,above my head behind me was a large TV mounted to the wall, Well when I started my set in the middle of my tune I heard a loud noise at first I didn't know what it was ,But thease guys got the remote from the bar tender,And turned on the TV with the volume loud above me, I stopped and asked the guys to turn it off They said no they didn't want to listen to blues it was NI---er music!I asked the bar tender to get the remote and turn off the TV but she was scared of the guys,I then asked for my money and left,without doin the gig, The owner called me the next day furious,and demanded his money back, I explained what had happened and he said I should have thrown them out, I told him Iam an artist not a bouncer,that was not up to me!! Ive never been BACK!!
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Wow, 601, what a situation!

Looking beyond the obvious ignorance of said patrons, I suppose you have to fault the bartender. She should have called hotel security, the owner, or explained that the TV is not an option and that entertainment is scheduled for the evening.

They likely wouldn't have gone broke bouncing three losers like that, and you're right, it was not your responsibilty to have to do it.

A real mess and a shame.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:38 pm

Man, that makes me want to say bad things. Frkn idiots. Yeah, Bosco's right, call security. Sometimes there's nothing you can do. You just take the smartest route. That sucks, though. Sounds like you make your living playing music?
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Well I used to do a lot of gigs like that,But being a solo act,means you are the roadie and sound man, and sometimes bouncer!! Ive be lucky and have done some larger gigs and stayed in the studio the rest of the time, However relyin on a local band to back you when your doin all orginal stuff is arkward at times,so before I go back to Belgum and Germany this April Iam wantin to at least have a Bass player that knows my stuff to set the groove for me,I have Been workin with Harold Cowart he was the bass man for The Bee Gees and Andy Gibb, but he has other things to do and won,t Travel!!
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Rough gig. You were probably just better off out of it full stop; if you get idiots thrown out, you can't tell if they will or won't come back to "discuss" the matter with you. And personal history has taught me that the small of mind tend to be big on malice.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs