A Bad, Bad gig.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

A Bad, Bad gig.

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:32 pm

We've played this joint a few times but last Friday night someone must of been poking a voodoo doll in the brain that looked like me. The first two sets went well and then came the middle of the third. I am the bassist. I played Boom Boom Boom in E while the rest of the band was in F. On a song I wrote I was on the the I when I should of been on the IV during the first solo then came "Right Now". The spooky funk hit. I could not remember that song to save my life and I wrote the thing. I knew it was in G so I played light and fumbled thru it. The screw up put me in a bad funk. The piano player was upset and walked over to me and said "okay, it happened, don't let it get you down, we still have 4 more to play". The last four went without a hitch. During one of the songs my C note seemed like it disappeared. I bent down to my speaker cab and still I couldn't hear it. The rest of the notes were fine but the C was gone. After the song I thumped the C and it rang out loud and true. I do not want a repeat of that night again. I'm going into these gigs more practiced. I thought I could just pump thru it but I was wrong. Any other bad gigs out there?
Does anyone know what happened to my C?
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: A Bad, Bad gig.

Postby stumblin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:43 pm

Well, I guess we've all played those gigs when everything seems to suck.
I know I have.
Don't worry about it, I'm sure your C will turn up when you're not looking for it...
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:58 pm

I'd be upset too, if I'd lost a C note.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:04 am

>Well, I guess we've all played those gigs when everything
>seems to suck.

man have i been there. Dont let it get you down at all bro. My first time playin live I played an outdoor party where the weather seemed to change right before we got up. It got so cold my hands froze up and I could barely play. We all seemed to be off-time the whole set. It was a short set (5 songs) and I forgot 2 of them. On top of that the one of the amps died halfway through. If that wasn't enough, the other guitarist's high E string broke on the 4th song. The mic wasnt set up right and kept producing a lot of feedback in between songs. Furthermore the sax player decided that he couldnt play the last song and we ended up playin without him. I felt so embarassed the entire time. By the time we were done I didnt even want the money we were gettin paid. I had no prior information on the gig and was just sorta dragged into the whole thing. As I started to pack my stuff a few people came up to me and shared their pitty with me (which i found kinda funny actually). I ended up gettin a cheeseburger with the other guitarist and sax player and we had a good laugh about it. Most people would classify that as a pretty negative start for performing live, but it taught me a lesson and has helped me be more prepared with every gig.

...sometimes bad gigs arent your fault, they just happen. Everyone experiences them. Some musicians have more bad gigs then good ones. The thing that matters in this situation is the persistence you show towards havin a good one. Also (and i dont mean to preach, so I apologize if I am) once you put a clamp on having fun in order to make things "perfect", you just commited musical suicide... and will most likely result in more unpleasant performances. In short, DONT SWEAT IT! Next one will be better.
savage
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:58 am

Been there,,,done that.

Brother,,,we all have those nights and the best thing about them is when they're over.
grady
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:59 pm

Savage, that statement "once you put a clamp on having fun to make things perfect, you've just committed musical suicide" rings true to me although I'm not sure what it means. I was trying to have fun or should I say appear I was having fun to show the crowd how fun the night is. I believe I should do the gig prepared and play things well. I am getting paid to play music well not messed up. I've been telling myself to stay focused on our product which is rockin' blues music. We play this gig once a month and December 9th we're up again. In the few times we've played this house it went well but I was there to lay down a groove. Last Friday I went out into the crowd dacing and booty shakin', I was at the front of the stage eye ballin' this young gal dacing so sexy. I was doing everything but what I was getting paid to do. It wass only 2 songs of the 27 we played but man it sure knocked my ego down. I shall ponder your statement as I go thru my work day. Thanks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby oleman » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Sometimes we are own worst critics. Many times we blow minor mistakes way out of proportion and think the whole gig sucked.
Most of the audiences I play for aren't looking "clinkers" and if they are tappin their foot, dancin, just movin to the music; I don't worry to much about a missed change or a wrong key for a little while.
Personally when I'm in the audience, I would much rather see the band having fun and being as true to the music as they can; than a band that is cold, souless but note for note perfect.

Savage, I hope you don't mind if I use your quote as my sig?
oleman
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:46 am

I once played a song where for some reason on the guitar I was using (and I was neither drunk nor intoxicated in any way) some notes were loud and boomy, and others just couldn't be heard even though I could kind of 'feel' them as I was near the speaker.
Very weird acoustics.
Was a loud song with plenty of other people playing too though, but it was a really similiar effect to shouting long distance at someone in the wind outside and it just gets carried away before it gets there.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby savage » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:12 am

>Sometimes we are own worst critics. Many times we blow
>minor mistakes way out of proportion and think the whole gig
>sucked.

haha, I just found out tonight (at the family thanksgiving dinner that I was apparently some sort of a psychotic perfectionist when I was real young. I heard many stories of me getting upset when I would color out of the lines or be complemented on a drawing that I myself didnt think was good. I completely agree that some people are their worst critics. Though not as intense as I may have been when I was a child (or at least how others say I was), I have always felt that at least when it comes to technical things that I am my worst critic.

>Savage, I hope you don't mind if I use your quote as my sig?

of course not, haha
savage
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:28 pm

Acoustics are odd, certainly once I ran a tape player through my big amp, it was easy to talk over it close up, but the office 20 yards away was deafened.

Perfectionism - I knew a player once who was obssessed with note for note Chicago stuff, I think he wasted at least a year practising, he would have been fine anyway. Instead he struggled to get any sort of band together. Shame, he could really do it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:54 pm

It's my conclusion that I have to be practised before I go into a gig. Perfect will never happen. We play mostly originals which are a lot of fun to play. The covers we do, 7 of them, are easy and believe you me, we don't play note for note. We tend to play feeling for feeling. A band has to be loose but tight in that looseness. I believe I am my own worst critic for sure. Forgetting how a whole song went sorta flipped me a bit. Shocked me in a way. I have taken steps to make sure that won't happen again. The lost C note. We had been playin' for almost 4 hours. I think it was my ears that lost the C note along with drums, piano, and guitar gettin' in front of it didn't help. Gigs are a trip, very much worth the effort but a trip all the same. We get to do it again December 9th. It's sorta like when I first started getting "it" from my girlfriend when I was 15. I couldn't wait for the next time, constantly examing the last time.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:52 am

> It's sorta like when I first started getting "it" from my girlfriend when I was 15. I
>couldn't wait for the next time, constantly examing the last time.

Back then, penicillin would cure "it."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:13 pm

Last nite, the guys I played with got so freakin' loud that I couldn't even hear the pitches half the time. They warned me about their returning guitar player before the gig,too (he wasn't loud at all during our rehearsal Thursday). Tonite, I'm takin' a set of those earplugs with the holes in the middle; hopefully that will improve my ability to hear. My wife kept sayin' that she couldn't hear my harp,and I told her I wasn't turnin' up much more cuz the band was so loud already. No wonder I like acoustic jams.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:59 pm

>My wife kept sayin' that she couldn't hear my harp,and I
>told her I wasn't turnin' up much more cuz the band was so
>loud already. No wonder I like acoustic jams.

this is a problem sometimes when bands stop paying attention to the sound theyre producing. It gets a bit silly when everyone starts competing in volume, everyone turning their amps up higher than the others (I got a story for that too, but I'll leave that one to your imagination). Haha, I also prefer acoustic jams (and low-volume jams). The more I play, the more I find it necessary to be pretty strict when it comes to volume. Theres gotta be some kind of standard, especially indoors. When a bass player or other guitarist thinks he needs to turn his amp up (and disrupt the homeostatic volume levels of all the instruments), I usually am the first to snap at him and tell him to turn it down.
savage
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:38 pm

I think anyone who has gigged has had a night like that. Yeah, I know you're supposed to play through it and hopefully full mojo will return before the end of the set - but it always seemed like it took me til the next set to get over it. As far as "the case of the missing c" - I have had that happen to me as well. I think it has to do with nearby monitor & amp vibrations from the other guys cancelling my notes out - kinda like white noise or sumpthin'. Just try to remember - if you never had a really bad gig you wouldn't be able to recognize it when you had a really good one. There is a local blues band that is so tight & well (over) rehearsed that the artistic spontanaiety is gone. I would rather have a few bad gigs and some great ones than to sound like a cd! Keep on playin', the great one is probably a gig away. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs