Most memorable Jam

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Most memorable Jam

Postby 1four5 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:27 pm

We practice every Thursday night at my house. My parents and I have never really gotten along too well, but it's getting better lately. They've never heard me play. Well, they are in town this week staying at my sisters. I invited them to our practice. It felt like performing to a packed house. Here we were playing, there they were, sitting on the couch watching. I think we blew them away. I don't know what it was, but I felt something inside I've never felt before. I wish I knew the formula and could harness it...I don't know if I've ever played better. Then the clincher. I've always known my Mom's favorite song (One day at a Time Sweet Jesus) and we had whipped up a quick version of it the day before as a suprise. We played it, and my Mom had tears. What a powerfull moment for me. I'll never forget last night's jam. My parents are old, and live pretty far away. I can't predict the future, but at least they've heard me play.
1four5
Regular

RE: Most memorable Jam

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Good shootin',Onefer! There's no more noble pursuit than pleasing your mother,seriously. Your mom'll be tellin' everybody about you!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:47 pm

Man, that's great...there's something real special about finally connecting with a family member, especially if it's long overdo!

My parents are divorced. My mother loves our band and comes to see us perform frequently. Pop, on the other hand, doesn't appreciate much of anything in the way of music. He wears hearing aids and anything is TOO LOUD to him, doesn't matter what it is.

I still find this funny- Back in the 70s when my folks were still together (and before my dad had hearing problems), my mother wanted to see a Carpenters concert for her birthday. They went, but my father walked out of the concert because he thought it was too loud. The Carpenters! LOL.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:02 pm

Well,Karen and Cubby didn't give up nothin' to Metallica,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:44 pm

I had the chance to go to a jam a couple of times with my old man. Country and western. I played a little harp in the background and he tried to play some slide. He's trying to find someone that can teach him. The best part was that he was singing along to the old country songs and he was pretty good at it. I think that he could have sat in on some of their gigs.
I'll hang on to those times for the rest of my life, the first time I ever heard my father sing.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:35 pm

I would've loved to jam with my dad,but he was not very involved with me. Too bad,'cuz he coulda taught me alot about music. He was a great dad,example-wise,but he didn't know how to relate to kids at all. He wuz twice the musician I am though,although I'm pretty sure he'd love my harp playin',since he taught me at first.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:49 pm

As 1four5 said his mom was in tears. I was lucky enough to be playing bass at that jam, Tom (Lead guitar and vocals) and I just kind of layed back and let Dean be out front. Way cool, I'm telling you, I about broke down myself. I lost my Mom and Dad a long time ago, and they never got to hear me play, so I am certain it was an emotional connection for Dean and his folks that was long overdue and will last from now till whenever.

Funny how some times when you play are better than others, and usually they don't have anything to do with getting paid, fame, how big the crowd is, etc. That's the beauty of music, it's an internal heartfelt thing at it's core, and personal to a greater extent than we let on. Hey?

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Return to About Gigs