Music stands etc on stage - verdict ?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Music stands etc on stage - verdict ?

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Yep. I've been close enough to read 'em and know they're the lyrics. I've seen the big name singers forget their lyrics onstage, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:46 am

I don't really care for stands on stage. There are exceptions I'm sure but I just don't like to see a band with music in front of them. I've seen some killer horn players with no music and doin steps at the same time. So, I don't know. It's a personal preference. And of course depends on the level of professionalism is the chord it would strike in me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:55 am

I prefer to practice at home. No offense.

Semper fi,
gcd revue
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:42 pm

Exactly. Again, no offense.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:11 pm

Since I don't read and I don't perform in public often, this won't really come into it, but I am dyspraxic (poor coordination, not clumsy, dyspraxics are cleverer than that. Honest) and stands are just the right height to get sent flying when you start to get in the groove and swing the neck around. Plus this stuff we do is about spontaneity and and ease with the instrument, I don't see reading as spontaneous. Please feel free to disagree, someone will.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:02 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-06 AT 00:07 AM (EST)]>... It's a personal preference. And of course depends on
>the level of professionalism is the chord it would strike in
>me.

"personal preference" I can understand, but "level of professionalism"?? so every musician using sheet music / lyrics is unprofessional???

>I prefer to practice at home. No offense.

so, a complete Symphonic Orchestra is "practicing", as are many top rock acts

The Stones (to name just one band) have tv monitors on stage with lyrics on them, I always knew these guys are unprofessional and should go back home to practice first
jaybee
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:17 pm

I know, I don't really like to go to classical music concerts and can't afford the Stones so.... And they're getting kinda old and forget things like words. Personal preference. But if you were playing with a music stand with music in front of you I would be an enthusiastic audience and then talk about you behind your back. So you could hear. No I'm kidding. That's just what happened to me. If someone I liked and cared about had a music stand I really wouldn't care at all. My girlfriend writes all her own music and she cannot remember any of it but I think she has that short term memory loss syndrome. Which could be the Stones problem - I don't know.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bluesfyre » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:25 am

I wish I could find a nice SRV hat. No matter how many times I preach on how I don't like them, the stands always seem to show up at gigs. Our drummer always has one, and he has whacked in many times during drum solos. Yes the seeing goes in old age too. We decide what basic songs we will need for a given night beforehand, and I print out small setlists for each member. I am the singer, I have a slightly larger one on the floor with cheats, song writers, jokes, bar owner's real name, current GF name, and my waitress's name. :-)
I figure the bottom might fall out, the night everyone leaves their silly music stands at home.

Mick

http://www.soundclick.com/badpoetry
http://www.myspace.com/badpoetry
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Oh my.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:29 am

I don't ever recall using an actual music stand on stage but I have put papers down around my mic stand, pedal board to remind me of whats on the set list and maybe the first few words of each verse of songs I had trouble remembering. I've had notebooks propped up against monitors and such as well. I never claimed to be a professional but I tried to act as such. I don't think I'll have a music stand on stage but I'm not going to condemn anyone who does.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby oleman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:57 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 11:58 PM (EST)]We don't use music stands but our singer has the most incredible memory for lyrics of anybody I've ever seen. However sometimes he makes up lyrics on the fly just because he gets bored singing the same old lyrics and to see if the rest of the band is paying attention. His ad libs are usually funny but still true to the song.
When I step out front I use a notebook on the floor as others do.
oleman
Regular

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:27 pm

There is a nice story about Deep Purple's Ian Gillan when he did a stint with Black Sabbath, I think it was. He had all the lyrics on cards at the front and didn't bother to learn them. When they hit the stage in spectacular style, with dry ice floating everywhere, he couldn't see through the fog.

I use a music stand (we all do) in a country band I play in because we have a huge repertoire. Mind you, playing harp means my hands are in front of my face, and wearing varifocals which mean I can only read through part of my glasses, so you have to be a contortionist to read what's on the stand. I like to know it's there, though. I don't have a problem with it, although it might be better to have Count Basie-style stands that make a bit of a statement.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs