Very special guest

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Very special guest

Postby dcblues » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:27 am

Tonight I got to hear one of my favorite players up close, and I got to play with him. Phil Wiggins came to my weekly acoustic gig and sat in. I heard Phil play some with my bandmates and other folks who were sitting in, and I did a few somgs with him. Playing with Phil is something I've always wanted to do. To me this was like being a guitar player and jamming with someone like Buddy Guy or Hubert Sumlin. That was one of the best gigs I've had in a long time!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Very special guest

Postby nizer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:53 pm

That's great DC. You really do belong with Phil and those guys.
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:35 pm

That's great,DCB! I don't mean to sound weird,but playin' with a great musician for the first time can be kinda like runnin' into a beautiful woman who jus' blows you away: you jus' wanna sit and stare at 'em when they're rollin'. Real cool...maybe he'll turn out to be a good contact,too,for doin' some other things.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:44 pm

That's terrific, DCB!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:32 am

I've played a little bit with Phil before - at harp workshops - but this was the first time I've shared a stage with him. Before the first set I wondered what I would do with one of my idols in the audience, but I just decided to play like I normally do. I saw Phil look over and pay attention a few times during that set. When we played together, I played a little bit like him, but not very much. It's a great feeling to play a solo and have one of your favorite players playing rhythm behind you.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:33 pm

Hey DC! That is so cool. I am really glad to hear of things like this, it's inspiring and so exciting. I love the feeling of playing off of someone's groove who inspires you and gets you to playing even better. Nothin like it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm

TOO COOL! That's great DC.

I didn't get to, or even try to play with him, but I chewed the fat and helped Peter "Madcat" Ruth pack up and load out his gear after a gig at Elderly music a few years ago.

Great guy who graciously answered all of my questions...a real pro.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Phil went to the DC Blues Society's monthly blues jam yesterday and blew everyone away. It's grat to have pros like that supporting the local scene.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs