"Teen Music Scene"

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: "Teen Music Scene"

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:39 am

I love when my daughter sings along to Born Under A Bad Sign or Killin Floor and other blues tunes. She is kinda forced since she was little to hear and see blues all the time. Like Warren and his son I just took her everywhere with me. She does not play blues on her own but who knows - someday.

Andy, I just love when you talk. Anyway, there are a lot of not very good bands and music in my age group too. I took some friends and we drove 45 minutes to go hear some people that I told them were just great. They started late and they sucked. Took all kinds of breaks, charged $5 cover for starting and stopping songs. It was embarassing. These guys were all professionals but had no respect for the listeners. I hated to see them all act like that. All in their 40's and 50's.

I've seen all kinds and all ages some good and some not. But I sure do love that feeling you described about the closer you get to the door and out the better you feel. When it's not good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:32 am

Just my two cent's worth. I have noticed that the younger crowd today does play and like "different" music than some(most) of us old timers. I remember(barely) my youth and I grew up listening to the Stones, Beatles, Zepplin, Who, etc. I also remember songs by, Ray Charles, Conway Twitty, Elvis, Chuck Willis, Big Bopper, Bob Wills, Eddy Arnold, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, The Dorsey Brothers, Bach, Mozart, etc. I guess what I am saying is I was exposed to, and came to appreciate all types/styles of music on there own merit.

Now, having said all that, I am not a fan of head banging shredder music, death metal, or hip-hop/rap. That doesn't mean those genres aren't good music, just that I don't care much for them. When I go into guitar center, mostly that is what I hear kids playing in there. Occasionally, I will hear a real guitar player playing in G.C. and, guess what, He's not playing metal mash. Go figure.

Last year I went to a small town festival where they had three acts, Grunge/Metal Kid Band w/groupies, a solo Garth Brooks wannabe, and a 40's 50's 60's band comprised of An old dude on a sax, a middle aged dude on a Gibson nighthawk, a solid bass player, and Drimmer with a small kit. Guess who everybody listened to for their whole set, including the tennyboopers. That's right, The old dudes. Granted they were good and very polished, but still they played stuff everyone could recognize/relate to/and enjoy.

I believe that among today's younger musicians, that they will eventually learn other styles and types of music and leave the music of their youth in the past if they are really musician's. As their knowledge and love for music grows, they will understand good lyrics, well shaped and arranged songs, regardless of the style.

I didn't like "Old Blue Eyes"(Sinatra) with I was growing up, now we are playing a couple of his tunes. SO, there is hope for the kids growing up today.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:04 am

> I didn't like "Old Blue Eyes"(Sinatra) with I was growing
>up, now we are playing a couple of his tunes. SO, there is
>hope for the kids growing up today.
>
>Tim
>
>
I hear ya Tim!!

We just started learning all the old standards on Willys' "Stardust"
CD. There is hope!!
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:44 am

Music is going to evolve and keep on evolving.

As you named the previous artists, they were at one time new and the older generation didn't like them either. There are some really good younger groups out there and they are saying some important things. Life has changed drastically since we were young. We could drive wasted put on the auto pilot and somehow get home. We partied with everyone. Drive bys weren't the norm. We could drive out to the hills or the country and no one would bother us. Now these guys are under constant surveillance. Some have lived only in the inner city with it's craziness, poverty and endless cycle of crime and prison. Many were raised by the tv and video games. Why would they create the same music as we had. I know the only thing that doesn't change is that there will be change. Life has gotten faster paced and chaotic. their music describes their lives. if there is no feeling it might be the expression of the numbness they feel. If it is angry - man, I'm angry too at the stuff I see and experience every day.

Some young people find relevance in the blues and it talks to them. They still change it to put it in their own words and I personally, would not want it any other way. I will continue to listen to and buy what I enjoy listening to while my daughter has introduced me to some good bands. If I like something I don't care what category it fits into. I'm gonna get it and listen to it.

There's nothing wrong with playing classics and things you love and that are calming and hopeful. That is SO valid and peaceful for communicating to others which is what music is about. But I think listening with open ears at what some of the youngers are sayin is what I like to do.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:17 am

My daughter offers hope. She just got accepted into Howard university on a music scholorship. She plays trumpet, sax, keyboards, guitar, clarenet, flute and oboe. She spent the last two years of high school at Duke Ellington in DC, and has played at the Kennedy Center. She's an incredable kid. She's classical through and through, can't stand rap, and thinks her daddy is a hillbilly.
1four5
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:25 am

If it makes you feel any better, we think you're a hillbilly too. Pleased about your daughter though.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:52 pm

>>>If it makes you feel any better, we think you're a hillbilly too.

Not me man... I have enuff respect to call you "Appalachian American"!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:46 pm

That's terrific, 145!

We've got a pretty good chapter of the Proud Papas' Party here.

Soon as I get off work, we've got to head down to see our little girl inducted into the Phi Kappa Phi honor society.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:54 pm

LoriL,
That was a great take on the youth contemporary music scene.
The perspective of a visual artist usually translates well into other media. Life experience might have a little to do with it too, eh.
oleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Speaking of visual artists and proud papas, I've just heard that my painter son's getting a full scholarship to the ETSU Art Honors College they've just established.
:7

ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm

ETSU?? Where do you live?? I went to ETSU
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:39 pm

East Tennessee State University.

(Also my employer. I'm a full time faculty member of ETSU's Quillen College of Meidicine, for coming up on 20 years this fall.)

ricochet
Regular

RE:

Postby tim3finger » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:02 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-06 AT 03:05 PM (EST)]>If it makes you feel any better, we think you're a hillbilly
>too.

Actually, we couldn't be hillbillys, cause "There ain't no Mountains in Kansas". http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?band_i ... =song_hifi
Sorry, couldn't help that.
Maybe, "prairie bumpkins" ,or, "Wheatstalk Willies", or something like that

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 pm

How about a flatpatty?

ricochet
Regular

RE:

Postby 1four5 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-06 AT 08:30 PM (EST)]Nice going Tim...if there was any doubt about our flatpatty status...it's gone now :D

Congrats Ricochet on raising a great kid! Any future of his artwork on one of your guitars?
1four5
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs