"Teen Music Scene"

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

"Teen Music Scene"

Postby savage » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:19 am

I dont want to use very colorful language here (because im tryin to stop), but what the hell is up with music now days when it comes to teens? If any of you don't know, I'm 18 and my friend told me that he got into a band replacing a guitarist who quit. He seemed excited about the new band and told me about his first show with them. I never go to "local bands" since everyone Ive ever heard makes me want to go to the bathroom (avoiding colorful language, haha). I figured I'd go to show him a little support since we don't hang out much. Was supposed to be some bar and grille, but ended up bein some hole in the wall in the middle of no where. Before I got out of the car I realized that this was a mistake. I don't know what has happened to kids now days, but It really makes me feel sorry... well, to tell you the truth it makes me sick. Just a bad scene, i dunno. I was a little annoyed when some guy came up to me and charged me 5 bucks (was "supposed" to be for the show, but he said it was for a donation to the red cross). I laughed when i heard that. I didn't pay him, but I felt bad for my friend and her brother who came with me. Anyway... we sat down, waitin for the music...... 15, 20 minutes passed, they were still not set up (and it was only a 3-piece--- and the drums were already set up). I usually have a lot of patience, but this had nothing to do with patience, just the longer I stayed there the more I realized that i didn't want to be there. You know when you just find yourself in the "wrong crowd"? Well, this was it. Finally the band had started to play (my friends band was supposed to plat two bands after them). They let out the most awful sound ive heard in a while. No emotion, no music, just noise! WHAT WAS THIS?!?! I felt so alienated there. I looked over at the two people who I envited (who were looking almost equally irritated). Most of the people in the place were either standin up bobbin there heads or just sittin down. No one really seemed to be into the "music" (WHICH I DONT BLAME THEM, BUT THEN WHY WERE THEY THERE?) After a few more minutes passed, I signalled to my compadres that we split. I am telling you... every step that i took after i got out the front door felt better and better. Have you ever just been in a place that gives you a bad vibe? I had to escape. I knew my friend's band still hadn't played but I had met some of the band members and they all gave me the same vibe. I knew I had to get out of there didn't matter who was playing. We got back in the car and I hit the road. The rest of the night I felt so strange that I had gone to that place. I really dont know why, but the vibe still clung to me a bit the rest of the night and made me feel pretty weird. This isnt the first time ive felt this regarding the "teen music scene" in florida, but im gonna try my best to make sure its the last. Left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone else experienced this at all?
savage
Regular

RE: "Teen Music Scene"

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:41 am

Savage,
How do ya think a guy (me) 48 feels when he hears most of todays crap! I came of musical age during the late 60's and 70's (I went into a sever blackout during the disco era) and was raised in my youth on Buddy Holly and that lot! When my oldest son first began guitar he was into the "Growl" type metal stuff and I told him that I would back him (help him financially)IF he would give "old school" rock and blues/rock a good solid listen. He did and became a big Hendrix fan and from there the doors began to open for him musically! He still plays alot of death metal but he is also quite versed in 12 bar blues and a ton of classic old rock. He can shatter glass and then turn around and play a sweet duet of Hey Joe accoustically w/ his old man! He has been swipin my slides ever since he heard Grady's slide work on his SG! I gotta tell ya, I'm purdy blessed to have a whole family of music lovers!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:43 am

I used to have that sort of feeling, I still would if I let myself get dragged along to places where people are into other stuff. You are just going to live with being a REAL musician, someone who has an identity that goes its own way & does its own thing.

Atmosphere/vibe is an intangible, but everyone here has been where you are.

Keep on doing it your way, the people whose opinions really matter will always back you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Savage, you've got a good start on being a cranky old fogey like the rest of us. :7

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:01 pm

haha, well, thanks you guys for the support. Usually It doesnt bother me, but sometimes the sheer frequency of the image of a whole generation casting shame upon music boggles me. I don't really "fit" in musically with most people, but thats the way God made me, and I accept it. Its just good to hear others that are the same way (even if its over the internet).
savage
Regular

Postby cas » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:58 am

Savage, you've definitely got a blue soul...good for you. Sounds like the way I felt for several years before I "discovered" the blues. I've been there for sure.

Carol
cas

Postby bluesmouse » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:35 pm

In the UK right now we have lots of dull bands, many whose names start with 'The.......'(somethings) in a lame attempt to sound like a garage band. They all wear New Wave stripey tops or skinny suits and either sound like The Jam or a crap version of Iggy and The Stooges. Honestly, you hear snippets of them and it's like playing spot the riff. But ask the fans (Radio One kids) and I'm sure they probably think these bands invented it. :(
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:52 am

>In the UK right now we have lots of dull bands, many whose
>names start with 'The.......'(somethings) in a lame attempt
>to sound like a garage band. They all wear New Wave stripey
>tops or skinny suits and either sound like The Jam or a crap
>version of Iggy and The Stooges. Honestly, you hear snippets
>of them and it's like playing spot the riff. But ask the
>fans (Radio One kids) and I'm sure they probably think these
>bands invented it. :(

The big UK problem is that a large chunk of radio is infected with the idea that you should only push "industry product" so kids only get mass produced garbage to listen to.

We've just got to carry on and fight the True Blue Fight.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:39 pm

The big UK problem is that a large chunk of radio is infected with the idea that you should only push "industry product" so kids only get mass produced garbage to listen to.

Same on this side of the pond guys. We have plenty of "Classic Rock" stations...but just try to find some blues on the regular radio, it's almost nonexistant. Lots of streaming blues on the internet but how are we going to get the kids exposed to it?

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:14 pm

Do what I do if the weather will stand it, wind the car windows down turn up the Burnside.

Occasionally you see some spotty little horror suddenly twitch and then you know you've Infected them, they'll always know they're Outside, like we are.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

RE:

Postby nizer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:15 pm

>They let out the most awful sound ive heard in a
>while. No emotion, no music, just noise! WHAT WAS THIS?!?!
>I felt so alienated there.

If it's any consolation savage I felt the same way 35 years ago. Everyone was listening to Zeppelin and Deep Purple which struck me as just bombastic nonsense. I read the liner notes to Clapton and Stones records to discover their sources and went looking for that.
nizer
Regular

RE:

Postby savage » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:23 pm

>The big UK problem is that a large chunk of radio is
>infected with the idea that you should only push "industry
>product" so kids only get mass produced garbage to listen
>to.

>
>Same on this side of the pond guys. We have plenty of
>"Classic Rock" stations...but just try to find some blues on
>the regular radio, it's almost nonexistant. Lots of
>streaming blues on the internet but how are we going to get
>the kids exposed to it?
>
>Bosco

i rarely listen to the radio for the same reason i stopped watching tv. it seems as though almost every form of media is becoming a source of advertisment of ideals and forced opinions. Instead of serving future generations with a more options and a better view of the world (and its cultures/music/ideas), it limits what they will see, and, as a result, hinders future generations capabilities to make up their own mind. Obviously not everyone takes on the ideals that the media and society put out, but it sure does make it harder and harder to enjoy what you really like (on yer own; opposed to the people who just settle for things that are in front of them). While I think advances in technology do bring many new capabilities, i do not consider them an advance in any way (ie. radio, tv, internet). I mean this in a deeper form than the fact that these inventions allow us to do things that we werent able to do before. For they also allow an equal amount of bad things to be done that werent possible before. Every new invention just brings human nature to a new level (and i dont mean an upward level, but more of a more complex level).

For example: I think the internet allows us to do a lot that we couldnt before... and its great, but people get so excited with new things that they dont take the time to realize that its just as bad as it is good. To wrap up what im trying to say, i think technology moves us sideways...not up. I think it changes our situation and environment. I dont think it is a movement toward being "better". And the bi-products of what happens when people fail to realize this is an army of mislead people. I think this is a huge factor in the reason why culture has become what it is now (and where its going). And when I say this I consider it given that society/culture has not just started to make this movement recently, but has been moving this way since the beginning of time.

...lol, I dont know where all that came from, but thats what I think.
savage
Regular

RE:

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Savage, if that's you on the link, I ain't surprised you don't get off on whatever's fashionable. Stay with it, don't never let go of it, you got something special there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sadea_jn13 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:37 am

I know what you're talkin' about man..
I am 18 as well..And believe you,me. .This nowadays bull-sh*t, is just tearin' me apart. What the heck are these kids doing?
It's like there are limited younger people to relate to , when diggin' the blues. It seems they are hiding, or something... I find a lot of older folks that like blues. .. And finding a band,or just someone to jam with is so sorrowful and sad.
You ask a teen if they dig the blues and they say either, 'yeah I like blues traveler,' 'what is blues?,' or (this one made me laugh when I heard someone say it) 'that's actually my favorite color.'

I don't get it..These kids nowadays just puzzle me..
I feel kind of like I'm a 45-year old in an 18 year old's body..
And it's easy to have friends, really easy, but hard to find younger friends that like blues as much as me..

''i groove to the ancient melodies,of my foremothers,and their eternal lovers.''
sadea_jn13
Regular

Postby warren » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:49 am

andy,

i heard a blues artist (i think john mayer on the ec crossroads dvd) say that since blues gets no air time on the radio, kids don't know it exists. They have to be introduced to it by someone.

I'm 43 and my son is 9 years old...i introduced him to the blues and he loves it. He has gone with me to see buddy guy and got his autograph...we are going to see bb king this month. He lives srv, clapton, buddy guy, hubert sumlin, etc. He told me that he was talking to one of the kids in his class about the blues and they told him it was old mans music!

He also wants me to take him to nyc to see les paul! (he plays on monday nights at the iridium jazz club)

Anyway....just keep on with being yourself, because at the end of the day that's what really matters!

BTW what part of florida are you in....i live a little north of orlando.

ww
warren
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs