New Jam

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

New Jam

Postby jeffl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 pm

I went down to a jam I'd never been to last nite,for the first time. I had played with the drummer twice,and listened to the host guitarist's band several times. I was once again amazed by how nice and accomodating the host and other guest musicians were,and how tough the tunes were that they were doing. I took my Champ for blowing harp,and they mic'ed it up for me and it worked very well. I was also surprised how many pretty talented musicians were there who had defunct band situations (at least 3 or 4)! I guess the niceness of everybody really impressed me...very tightly-knit bunch. I'll prob'ly go again.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: New Jam

Postby 1four5 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:19 am

Sounds perfect! Any chance it could lead to a non-defunct situation?
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:02 pm

>Sounds perfect! Any chance it could lead to a non-defunct
>situation?
Well,there's always that chance,yup. The main reason I went down there is that my normal Wednesday nite jam is becoming very hit & miss...not happening at all on some weeks,and I'd never played with the host of this new bunch. He's fronted the same band in this area for about 20 years,and knows alotta people that I don't know,and I figured it wuz good exposure for me. The drummer that plays with this jam is a great musician whom I've played with a coupla times,and rehearsed with a coupla times,and I figured that he'd make sure the host invited me up alot-which turned out to be the case. We had a great time..the other host guitarist who traded the bass duties with the front man was a really good player who was worth the trip by himself. When the end came he told me that if I was gonna start showin' up,he was gonna work on some tunes more suited to harp...so I'm gonna e-mail him a list. I was just so impressed with how nice the hosts and the guest musicians were...very nice bunch.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:13 pm

How cool for you Bubba! You're "good people" yourself, so it reinforces the whole deal.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:25 pm

>How cool for you Bubba! You're "good people" yourself, so it
>reinforces the whole deal.
Thanks for the nice remark,Bluejay! And,BTW, the hosts were very nice about allowing me to set up my rig aheada time,get my Champ mic'ed,and get the sound where I needed it. It's all about havin' fun and continuing to learn,and it filled those needs.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:29 pm

It is so good to hear about stuff like this - congratulations on finding good people to play with, Bubba. Not an easy thing to do.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:37 am

Thanks LoriLu. God has been blessin' me. (That,and there aren't very many harpers workin' Southeast Minnesota,lol!) I'm hopin' all this sittin' in with different bunches leads to a straight blues gig again. Unless I put my own band together, which is hindered by the fact that I'm only an average lead singer, I fear I may have to succomb to playin' some keyboards to earn my keep,and pitch in on more tunes. I like keyboards,but I would really need to devote alotta practice time to the boards,and I have some things I want to accomplish on harp yet,so I hate to split up practice time. My day job is about 55 hours/wk.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 am

>It's all about havin' fun and continuing to learn<

Man, you guys are alway very inspiring to me! Do you ever practice at work? The idea scared me to death at first...but we do it all the time now...it's been cool...with a goal of turning heckling coworkers into fans.
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:26 am

I can't practice at work; I wouldn't wanna listen to me practice most of the time,if I didn't have to. Considerin' that one of my practice techniques is to repeat riffs or runs over and over again until I got 'em startin' to sound good,I'm surprised my wife tolerates as much of it as she does. When I was growin' up,my older sister used to drive me nuts practicin' sheet music from every Broadway musical that came along. I now almost hate musicals, after listenin' to her grind on Oklahoma,Music Man,Sound of Music,South Pacific,etc. The only time it was fun to listen to was when she'd practice transposin' the tunes into different keys by switchin' in the middle of phrases, on the fly. If you keep it up,it sounds funnier than hell. She'd get us all laughin' with that trick! Onefer,you guys would be way more entertainin','cuz there's more than one of ya'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:17 am

Hey Bubba,

How bout when you're driving? And I know what you mean about dividing up practice time. I think sometimes we can absorb more than we think. Sometimes not. Sounds like it's all gonna work in your favor now as you've laid out the groundwork.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:57 am

I occasionally practice when I'm drivin'; I'll take my Portnoy instructional discs for harp,or I'll jus' take CDs of tunes I'm tryin' to learn..I've got 4 of those I've been luggin' in and outa the house now. However, I haven't found practicin' while driving to be as productive as practicing at home...jus' not a great environment for me. I'd rather get two hands on the harp,and not have the road noise around me,and be able to mentally focus a little more. But,for listenin' to tunes I'm workin' on--over,'n' over--it's an effective use of time. I still keep a rehearsal CD in the car from my band that blew up around New Years,'cuz there's tunes on there that I never learned.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:15 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-06 AT 08:15 PM (EST)]The police frown on my practicing slide guitar while driving. Got arrested for DUIS.

Carol
cas

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:27 am

I practice some when I'm driving. Think about it. Pretty scary Huh!
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:58 am

OK, now that was funny, you guys. No, seriously, I knew a guy who just played whatever (not guitar though) when he was driving. Like just accompanyin himself as he drove. He had about a 45 minute or more drive to and from work every day. He was really good. Very spontaneous improviser came from the gut and the heart. One arm, what about those harmonica holders guitar players use. You could totally drive and play.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:14 pm

There was a Canadian bozo who got on the old guitar.net board a few years back spamming an invention he'd come up with for no-hands driving with leg control so you could do things like play guitar while driving. Got all offended when I said I didn't think that was a very safe idea. Didn't think I was a properly open-minded, forward-thinking sort of guy. Left mad.
;)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs