Biggest gig yet - Any tips?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Biggest gig yet - Any tips?

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Y'all did the right thing. That would've been a disaster.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 am

Too bad,Onefer,but I agree with Rico. You will run into more of that with festivals than with any other kind of gig,according to what I've heard from my friends who have played 'em. Grady has had at least one experience that I know of,which he shared with me,where a fest got screwed up from one year to the next,and I know of another one here in town where they lost a good band due to disagreements about the same issue you ran into. If you're the only band playin' the festival, that prob'ly reduces the chance of problems,but when there's other acts involved, the problems breed. You are best stickin' to your guns,to make sure that you are seen in a good light by the people who count--the crowd. You guys keep workin' on it,and you'll have plenty of opportunities.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:46 am

So sorry to hear that. I have been at festivals and street fairs with bands playing at the same time and it wasn't a problem as far as sound went. The blues festival in Portland Oregon on the water has two stages. We just had to keep moving back and forth between the stages. I had a great time and there did not seem to be any conflict. I'm sure something else will come up for you guys just as exciting. Glad you are staying in bluesville. Hey - dibs on that name!!!
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:26 am

We go to a bluegrass festival in the fall, where there is 7 stages, all going at the same time, and it really works well, but they're all positioned far enough apart and facing in different directions. Tom was concerned that competing with headbangers between city building in a disorgaized low budget situation was a set up for disaster. He had tried to talk them into facing the bands away from eachother or even facing down side streets, but they had this idea about everyone being happy in the middle, and somehow the sound waves would be smart enough to stop halfway. I used to live in that town, and the area is small...you could get through downtown on a bicycle in about 20 seconds.

I'm not sure where I picked up the term bluesville, but I've used it a lot over the years...if my memory is right, I think the term was used in the 1985 film "Crossroads"...one of my favorite movies.
1four5
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Darn it Dean I was going to come heckel you at that gig. ;)
Really you guys did the right thing, I don't see how anyone would be happy with that setup. Maybe the shredders cause they will be crank up I'm sure.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Hey Jack, how far away is Melvern? Ya auta come down for a jam sometime...it's spring and were itchin for a big jam out at Tom's (outside of Douglass)!
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 pm

That's too bad Dean, but better to find out now than have a real bad experience.

I've seen some real messes with small town fests when the organizers change from year to year (read: volunteers), the DBA (Downtown Business Authority) has to approve everything and none of them are musicians or have ever performed. They just don't understand logistics.

A couple years ago we played at an Airshow/Festival out at the local airport. We were supposed to play from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. on the main stage which would have been perfect as it gets dark about 9:45 in the summer here. The events ran behind schedule all day and we didn't go on until about 9:20. After only 4 songs we had to break because the "Night Flight" aerobatics plane did his show with a deadpan announcer describing the stunts through the PA. We lost about half of our crowd of a thousand. We resumed our show and in the middle of the third song we hear this HUGE roar and the remaining crowd of 500 sprang to their feet and rushed past the stage to the runway fence behind us. Turns out it was the jet powered truck and they decided to run it at night so folks could see the flames. On top of that the stage was downwind from the runway and we soon were engulfed in exhaust fumes and acrid smoke from the burning rubber. What a shitty experience!!! We had rehearsed diligently and had high hopes for what should have been the highlight show of our careers. Poor organization pretty much ruined that one. Sometimes it's best when the big stuff fall through.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:48 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-06 AT 12:49 PM (EST)]Hey Dean
Melvern is about 30 minutes East of Emporia (on I35). Melvern Lake if that rings a bell. So only about 1 1/2 from Wichita.
I wouldn't mind getting together to BS sometime.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:22 pm

>Tom said he they had
>zero knowledge about the situation, and were unacomidating
>and unwavering, and the whole thing seemed unorganized and
>just wrong. Tom told him to find another band.

That's great that you guys read that accurately before you played a gig that would have been frustrating, irritating and people would probably have not even heard your music mixed properly ("gee, that band's vocals were way too loud"). You stood up for the integrity of what you play and are willing to accept playing only under the right conditions - and that will come.
nizer
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 am

The only point I can add to this is that a big public event can give a band exposure, and you have to decide if the way it is run is going to be beneficial or not. For me, I think you did the right thing.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks again for all the replies and confirmation. man Bosco that airshow sounds like a really tough one! Being a jet engine mechanic...I know all to well what those fumes are like.

Bandit, now that you mention Melvern Lake...yeah, I know where you're at! We'll be jammin most of the day on the 15th if you can handle a bunch of cowpoke music :) c'mon down!
1four5
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:06 pm

I've got an old friend named Charlie Bryant who was North American Aviation's top mechanic in the '50s. Tells me good stories about folks like Bob Hoover, and all kinds of interesting things that went on in those days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Two words for you... Comfortable shoes.

You'll play much better

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:38 pm