A Blues Jam, finally

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: A Blues Jam, finally

Postby allanlummox » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:21 pm

"Any other Californians going? As in Dan and Jane?"

I'm a bit confused...

But this Friday, we have dinner plans with some friends here in the East Bay. I am hoping to see Walter some time before he leaves the area - buit I'm not sure when...like I said, I've been a bit confused lately...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:31 am

>"Any other Californians going? As in Dan and Jane?"
>
>I'm a bit confused...
>
>But this Friday, we have dinner plans with some friends here
>in the East Bay. I am hoping to see Walter some time before
>he leaves the area - buit I'm not sure when...like I said,
>I've been a bit confused lately...

Hi Dan: I put a general invite out on this forum. I hope to see you before we leave. It looks like summertime. Say hi to Jane for us! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:20 am

>>>> Mickey's come out also. Envy?

Uhhhhhhhhh, nope! I tries not ta do any of the 7 Deadly's!
I'm about half antisocial so I avoid parties most of the time!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Me too! Then when I get to the jams and parties I am so glad I went. I meet so many nice people and hear great music and get inspired. I have definitely gotten more to myself and am trying to get out of that a bit more.

Last night, my daughter stayed at her dad's and I decided to head to Merced for their weekly Blues Jam at Rudy's downtown. What a trip! People were so nice I was like in the Mayberry of blues jams. Small town with lots of talented musicians. And friendly and no attitudes that I could see. I gotta admit this was something new for me. Awesome female bass player who played with the house band and whose husband was the drummer. Great drummer! He has inspired me to learn those blues rhumbas which I should have already. So with a tight, in the pocket, rhythm section all the guitar players could really have some fun.

There was a killer harp player reminiscent of that Blues Traveller but a little more blues than that. And one of the best female singers I have heard in a really long time. Reminiscent of Lydia Pense and Cold Blood. She kicked *ss. A special deal was this incredible female fiddler who jammed the blues like I have never heard, trading solos with the guitar players and just rockin'! She was really cool and is looking to start her own band cause she is such a strong player. We talked and exchanged cards but, man, she lives so damn far from where I live. She will definitely do something different and can go somewhere.

Everyone was down home friendly and would even come up and introduce themselves and we were all friends at the end of the evening. Pretty cool. It is very far for me to travel and with my kid I am not sure when I can get there but I am kinda obligated to play next time. So I guess I have to go back soon. Almost a 2 hour drive home at 1:30 AM. "If you go where few have gone, you will find what few have seen."
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:41 pm

>Well, Maxx, you're in good company, Mickey's come out also.
>Envy? You guys sent us all those pictures "BRB UK, Official
>such and such blues jam..." We didn't get to attend that.
>But I know it's just a matter of time before you and Mrs.
>Maxx are heading across the water to visit and wanted to let
>you know you are welcome here. I always had the dream of
>musicians coming from all over and staying and recording
>stuff and jamming and BBQing. That was my vision when I
>first got here. Maybe it will happen after all. But
>understand, all my equipment is quite vintage and funky. The
>lodging pretty basic.

Not bothered about no Hilton, if it's clean and it don't rain in much. Me and a friend keep talking about "doing the big trip" on new Triumph twins but neither of us has the money. Know any friendly millionaires? No? Oh well.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 am

Maxx, It doesn't rain much around this area in the summer but clean might be asking a bit much. LOL kind of. Cleaning is not my lifelong passion but I do it if I must. My first ride on a serious chopper was a triumph when I was 16. Before the helmet laws. I had really long hair and by the end of the night it was a mass of knots that took days to get out. Live and learn.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs