A Blues Jam, finally

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

A Blues Jam, finally

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm kinda excited. My friend, a bass player, just called to let me know about a jam tonight in a town nearby, downtown. I'm psyched cause there's some really good players and it's gonna be really fun. My daughter has Sadie Hawkins dance tonight so I think I'm free for the evening. I don't know that I have the nerve to play. I know one of the drummers and I wouldn't feel bad playing around him but this other guy - he's just too good. And sings great too. I'm just going to have fun and if I feel right I'll jam. It's a new group of people for me in another town so I can probably relax. I used to play no matter what or who was around. Hopefully, this is my turning point where I break out of this rut.
lorilu
Regular

RE: A Blues Jam, finally

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:21 pm

> I don't know
>that I have the nerve to play. C'MON SIS...GETCHER MANPANTS ON! I know whatcha mean by gettin' a little skittish around really good players,but there's a good chance yer better than ya' think. My experience has been to GO FOR IT! Success in those situations (not to mention how much more fun it is to play with good players) is what builds confidence,and then things tend to race uphill from there. I gotta encourage ya',LoriLu.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm

>I'm kinda excited.

Well I guess! Go fer it girl! A couple of years ago I was in Halifax and went to a bar (Bearly's, Rusty) where a very hot band called El Torpedo was playin'. The drummer's girlfriend was a friend of my girlfriend and they conspired to get me up to play, which I did NOT want to do - I thought El Torpedo were way too good and I would embarass myself. So I'm pounding back ales sayin' no until during a break the guitar player actually comes over and asks me - I guess I'd had enough pints cause I said okay. So anyway as soon as I strap on the borrowed Tele and hit the first chords of Nadine - poof! - it was an easy groove. Did a couple of numbers and the band complimented me afterwards.

Point is, jump on it! When the musicians are good it makes it a lot easier. Let us know how it goes.
nizer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Go for it, LoriLu! You can do it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:34 pm

Come on Girl! They'll love Ya!
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:29 pm

This is awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all went!
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 pm

Awwwww, thanks so much guys. LMFAO, Bubba. Manpants. I already picked out what I was wearing. But I got my drummin shoes ready. I know I need to toughen up. My friend's real nice and it'll be OK. Nizer, did I misunderstand you over in Electric Blues? Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'll be thinking of you guys when I get behind them drums.
lorilu
Regular

Postby oleman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:09 am

We're with you in spirit, as you always are for us.
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:18 am

Thanks. I am here in spirit for everyone here. I am a bit nervous and am procrastinating as I do when I'm supposed to go out. How do people do this all the time? I think it would be hard on the road always wondering how the next show's going to go. I realize that music is such a personal thing and rejection of something like that is too hard sometimes. When you doubt whether you even have it because of things people have done or said. And like 601 said sometimes people don't want to see someone else do it - climb higher, go further. When you are happy and proud and confident in your achievements or at least where you are at the time, I guess sometimes that makes other people insecure. I see them as they want to be not as the things they carry with them. It is not easy living in this world especially right now.

I just was watching as I type , Tim McGraw (country music stars on tv) and he was sitting with his wife and they were just being themselves and fighting like musicians do (they were being nice) like he tells her "don't mess up my song as she was singing accompaniment and he tells her just sing harmony, and then she kind of gets a little taken aback as she's a serious singer in her own right and hasn't yet come all the way into her own. And she knows it. What a challenge he has to keep up with her success and still get along without his ego taking over. And she has her own thing so she asserts herself a little more than he wants on his song and there is the intermixture of personal and music and art. They probably have it worked out pretty well but I'm sure there's times it gets really difficult.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:12 pm

Tim McGraw? Oh yeah, Faith Hill's husband!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:49 pm

How do people do this all the time? I think it would be hard on the road always wondering how the next show's going to go.

You don't need to worry about the show, that's the best part. All the rehearsing, travel, moving equipment and dealing with promoters and club owners is the pain in the ass. You do it all just for the time you get to be on stage, that is the reward. The show just takes care of itself when the adrenalin and autopilot switch on.

The biggest step is the first one, after that it's all downhill.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Well, Ricochet, I was just trying to be nice to Tim. Thanks, Bosco and everyone for the good information and advice. Lucky for me it was not a jam as my friend said, it was an awesome, awesome party in a big shop. Ron Thompson was playing and the best of the best around here. It was thrilling. They're talking about doing it once a month. I was in my element and the music was so good, I could cry.

Nice people. I met this guy who was a mechanic for these sand racing jeeps and he showed me pictures. I told him a little about the sand rail. Maybe I will be able to get back into the auto graphics and painting. there was the most beautiful white chevy pickup with classic striping design in front of the hood and bitchin tribal flames done so well on the sides. I should have gotten there earlier.

My friend gave me some good comments to share that busted me up about guitar players. And I said so what's wrong with drummers and he said "they're always late which is funny cause they're the timekeepers for the band." This guitar player, who my friend's blues band is auditioning was talking at me (had a buzz) and my friend said after he finally left "guitar players, why can't they just be normal?" And I got to thinking about it and I do not know a single normal guitar player so we laughed hard on that one. He said, they're retarded,- they're guitarded. So he's gonna make a shirt with guitarded on it. (I pointed out that he plays guitar too.)

I guess there are more partys coming up in the mountains and on the coast and hopefully in this shop. there were some KILLER keyboard players. Everyone was just so tight. And I'm kinda liking this bass player. He's really nice which he said guys don't like to hear women say that. I said, no, it's good when it's coming from me. I might see if he can go to Walter's to shield me from the lesbians. I'm sorry, but they can be worse than guys.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:17 am

>>>I might see if he can go to Walter's to shield me from the lesbians.

What the @&%#!!!......... Was there a bio included with the invitation that listed ethnic, political or sexual persuasion of all possible attendees? Good grief!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Yes there was and are you gonna go? No, Nizer said something about The Blue Heron having a bunch or rodeo pot smoking lesbian, I dunno, and I thought one thing and it turns out it's a pretty fun place and it will all be OK. You gonna go, M? Gonna be a party.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:21 pm

You gonna go, M?

Nope! I'm up to my arm pits in horse mouths and gotta 3 day cowhorse show to squeeze in there somehow!
Have fun and be safe!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs