Southern Blues/Rock

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Southern Blues/Rock

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:26 pm

Once again, I'm blown away by the "niceness" of some musicians: I had posted earlier about a guitarist from a Southern Blues/Rock "Tribute" band who had heard me blowin' harp at the store he teaches at and wanted me to sit in with his band sometime; That was only a coupla weeks ago,and today he dropped off 4 rehearsal CDs,with playlist and setlist groupings,with the tunes for me highlighted. He apparently spent some time on it,and the effort impressed me,along with the short turnaround time. Both the guitarists are very talented,with Berklee backgrounds,and I'm really lookin' forward to playin' with musicians who'll challenge me. Amazing how nice some musicians are...!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Southern Blues/Rock

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:28 pm

That is great, Bubba!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:36 pm

Freeeeeeee Birrrrrrrd!!!!!!

:)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:47 pm

>Freeeeeeee Birrrrrrrd!!!!!!
>
>:) Oh,yeah..I expect there'll be some of that,lol! Interestingly though,their setlist includes alotta more obscure tunes from ZZTop,SRV,both the Winter boys,and Blackfoot. They seem to be dancin' around alotta the overplayed Top 40's tunes..prob'ly jus' got tired of playin' 'em.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:42 am

After listenin' to a few of their tunes, I have to say I didn't realize ZZTop had so many tunes with harp in 'em. Great sounding harp,too,but mostly wide open stuff..like jammin' harp. Not very
creative (right up my alley,lol!). According to the notes he left me,I'm s'posed to learn the harp parts pretty much the way they're played,too; must have somethin' to do with the "Tribute" part of their promos. So far,I'd say "Ko Ko Blue" is my favorite, but "Call me the Breeze"(Skynyrd), and "Bad" could be fun. I woulda gone down and listened to these guys tonite,but they're playin' about 85 miles away and I gotta work tomorrowl. Maybe if this all works out,I can convince these guys to either morph their songlist and sneak some more real blues in, or start a second incarnation under a different name and let me play some boards (even though I've been tryin' to avoid that). The place they're playin' tonite is (get a loada this) ZZTap. ba da bing,ba da bang!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:27 pm

That's great to hear! My guess is that you are coming into your own and finding musicians or being found by musicians who are your complement. And you are probably from past posts not arrogant and nice to work with as in listening and sharing and not overplaying. Congratulations on the good karma, Bubba.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:41 am

>That's great to hear! My guess is that you are coming into
>your own and finding musicians or being found by musicians
>who are your complement. And you are probably from past
>posts not arrogant and nice to work with as in listening and
>sharing and not overplaying. Congratulations on the good
>karma, Bubba.
I can't be arrogant,LoriLu...I have too many weaknesses I keep hidden,lol! I have a very positive attitude about everything I do..I'm an optimist..and it rubs off on people,and they like it. I'm lucky.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:23 am

That's really good cause sometimes it's hard to stay positive when things are getting to you. But that right there can be the greatest challenge leading to the greatest results. I'm counting on it. I sure have had a difficult time over the past 5 years and am just starting to push out into the light again. Sometimes periods like these are hibernation times where you are growing internally. Rearranging priorities and ideas so as to make the rest of your life really meaningful and productive. I have a lot of things left to do if I am granted that time.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:05 pm

but "Call me the Breeze"(Skynyrd), could be fun...

I sing lead on that song with my band. Interestingly enough, we picked it up to have a Skynyrd cover to throw at 'em as a response to drunks hollerin' FREEEEE BIRDDDD!

We play a toned down version, more in line with J.J. Cale's original. The band had a hell of a time with the tempo until our new drummer started using brushes on it. Now it just grooves...like a bus going down the highway. We don't put any harp on it though. Makes a great trivia question as well...not too many know who wrote it.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:02 am

You should get the to liten to Drive By Truckers, Southern Culture On The Skids and The Legendary Shack Shakers.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:49 am

I love JJ Cale and saw him doing After Midnight on that Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD. DC, when i see you I always think of Ana Popovich.
lorilu
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:35 pm

I hope you don't think I look anything like Ana. :)

She's going to be in town the day before my birthday. I think I might celebrate by going to her show.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:54 pm

No, I don't think you look like her but like to look at her:* You should absolutely go to her show and try to get her attention - tell her it's your birthday - try to be a boy groupie! Let me know how it goes.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:40 pm

The frontman from this Southern blues/rock band told me today that my first payin' gig,harpin' with them is July 26th,outdoors. I'm fine with the fact that I've got over 3 months to rehearse with these guys,'cuz after listenin' to their CDs,I've come to the conclusion that they're a notch above the bands I've worked with in the last year. I want to hit that first rehearsal with all the music down hard,and blow 'em away with my preparation.I've got one month before I start rehearsin' with 'em,and then I gotta do one free gig for 'em in May before it's a done deal. And it looks like they want me to play organ,piano,and (yup) synth on summa the ZZTop tunes. I told 'em I didn't think I could handle the piano parts,but we'll see. I don't even own a synth,but they've got one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:22 am

Go BUBBA, Go !!! You da man.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs