On my way to Walter's

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

On my way to Walter's

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:56 am

Getting ready to head north in a little bit. We will see Walter tonight which is really cool as he seems like such a nice person. Hope they're gonna jam. I'm a little slow as I went to that jam on Wednesday night and got home so late I basically lost yesterday. Am looking forward to a music filled weekend and some beautiful scenery. See everyone soon.
lorilu
Regular

RE: On my way to Walter's

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:45 pm

Wish I could come, too!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Say Hi to Walter for all of us.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Good luck and watch out for those flannel shirt wearing lesbians.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:28 am

I got to meet Laurie and her daughter Ellie, last night. They are both very soulful people. It is a trip how this internet thing hooks one up with people light years out of your little day to day world. Laurie played drums on our last song. She sounded great. Katherine, my drummer, rarely lets anyone use her drums. After Laurie started to play, Kahterine was having a ball listening. Ellie made a great carrot cake too! I munched on it after everyone left. It was a great party. I recorded it all. The bad news is, when you record via the computer, for an hour straight, errors occur about 10% of the time. THat happened last night on Lauries song, and a few before it. It gets all out of wack with each track being out of synch with each other. I posted 1 song from last night. I will be posting more in teh coming days. You can here it below. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:02 pm

Great - ain't this a cool little community we have going here?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Yeah, it's terrific!

ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:40 am

I tried to post this on the recording forum but it would let me. Here is the party report.

Friday night we cleared out our living room, and my trio came over. We invited about 25 people and I cooked an Italian meal. Our living room has great acoustics-harwood floors, lath walls, and arched ceiling on all walls. It is 20' x17' and the house was built in 1936. THe lath walls are very dense.
We set up the band, and all of us were within 3 feet of each other. I used the PA for just a smudge of volume, so I sing quietly when I wanted. It was done on 5 tracks-
vocals/harp-1
guitar amp - 2,3
drums-5,6

we left the bass alone. MY friend Ar E, blew some sax in a lazy boy. Our volume was very low. I really only neded the PA on the quiet singing/harp songs. We had a blast. Patti Sterling was suppose to be here, but she hurt her knee. We are hoping to see her up here soon!

That is the good news. The bad news is about 2/3 of the second set got messed up. The best way to describe it is like this- each track soounds good alone, but when all are on, it is like they all start different times. There is a pop right when it happened. I get this sometimes, when I record extended times, like 20+ minutes, without stoping and saving. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there a cure?

I salvaged 2 of the messed up songs. A darkness fell over our land. This one had a pop in it, and it was like the thing skiped. The other song, Riptide, an instrumental, I used only the vocal/harp track, and the drum tracks. It stayed fairly intact. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thanks Walter

the songs:
a darkness fell over this land
greed means we go down
don't knwo if I want to live anymore
moaning for your love
illegal imigration in the usa
riptide
the old bluesmen touched my heart
I got the blues for sure
does this make sense?
grovvin cadillac boogie

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:10 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-06 AT 02:11 AM (EST)]Sounds like it could be a latency problem. That's when there's a delay between hitting the note on the instrument and the note registering on the computer. I think having much more RAM than you'd ever think necessary is one approach to dealing with this. Also, making sure you've enough disc-space for storing the sound files.
This may or may not help, but I recently got a new computer with more RAM than you can shake a stick at, result: no more latency.
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm

I was thinking the same thing. When your RAM filled up, it went to using virtual memory on the hard drive, which is slow pokey.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:04 pm

>>>When your RAM filled up, it went to using virtual memory on the hard drive, which is slow pokey.

Kinda like what happens to that guy in jail when his brain gets to full (post in Way Off Topic)!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm

thanks for all the replies. I got this one on another forum. I think this explains the culprit. Before the band started playing, Katherine and I did a few with just drums & me. I did a quick mix, adding reverb, and compression, limiter, to the master volume. I left it on for the entire session. Could leaving it on the software mixer do this?

This is a common-ish problem with digital recorders, I've come across this problem before when each track is out of synch with each other, the result is a mess. Frustrating when you know that the band was tight on timing.
You can limit this time slip by making sure that there are no built-in effects applied to any tracks before recording. It the effects that drag the system down. Normally you can get away with it if there is only one track being recorded at one time, then effects have little drag time, but when you set the recorder for multi input recording then its too much if you have effects in place. I've found that compression or any global effect is the biggest drag here, I bypass all effects when multi recording and so far its done the trick. Effects can normally be placed after music is down. Hope this helps.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey Everyone!

We had a great time at Walter's and for the rest of the weekend cruisin around the whole area. Walter is a great person, very tall, and a good cook. I like what he has to say in his music. He is one hell of a harp player, too. I would not mind meeting everyone and jamming.

We have stuff like this as signpainters called Letterheads or Pinheads. They are meets where everyone gets together and either camps or finds rooms in the area where the weekend get together happens. The host and whoever else hosts gets the food or people bring stuff and you also pay like whatever it would cost to get all the food together like $35 and then we jam. We panel jam is what it's called. I went to one in Sacremento and it was a one day event. Some people stayed in the area. We BBQd then later we all went out. I hung out with a couple from this area and we stayed in Lodi and then went to a Pow Wow in the area the next day. It is a great way to exchange inspiration.

PS. The lesbians in the area were really nice and not aggressive. I think I have had some experiences with some rowdy gals and got a little nervous. All was well.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:16 pm

We went to Berkeley on Easter Sunday and had a blast. I was keeping my eyes open looking to see if Dan was out playing. Too many good music stores. It is truly my financial downfall. Got Etta James Rocks the House, Janiva Magness's Do I Move You, and a Debbie Davies that I only have on cassette. And some old Tracy Nelson albums. My daughter got the new Lacuna Coil CD. It was a great way to spend the end of spring break.
lorilu
Regular

Postby warren » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:42 pm

are there any pictures from the "meeting" I would love to see some. Sounds like a really fun time. I have met a couple of people from another forum i'm on (one from brazil looking for a guitar in the states) and one just to get together and jam.

LoriLu...etta james is playing carnegie hall with susan tedeschi this summer as part of the jvc jazz festival...i'm hoping to get up to nyc to catch the show.

ww
warren
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs