Blues band closer to reality.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Blues band closer to reality.

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Got word today that we found a drummer so my original idea of a power trio is up to two guitars, bass, harp player, and a drummer. If there's going to be five we need to make it six and have someone on the keys. Maybe the harp player plays piano. This is a different direction than I've been in the past working with older musicians(far as I know they're all older than me) I think all of us have some vocal ability so thats a definite plus. I've never had the fortune of being in a band that everyone could do vocals. Gives you more time to focus on playing your instrument. Bass player asked me today at work if I knew "Hoochie Coochie Man" I had to give him a sheepish grin. Then he asks me "You got a wah don't ya" I said "Yeah why?" Then he says Bill the other guitar player wanted to know if you remembered how to play "Voodoo Child(Slight Return) and all the Hendrix stuff you used to play. I told him I'd see what I could do.

Sounds like this Friday is going to be the night when I find the dudes I should have been playing with all along. I might not have quit playing all those years ago if these guys had been around then.

Details to follow. Man I'm stoked.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: Blues band closer to reality.

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:31 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-06 AT 05:32 PM (EST)]Good on ya',Stratman. Jus' my opinion,but I'd stick to 5-piece. If ya' got keys and harp both,they'll either be trompin' all over each other (since you already got 2 guitars),or one of 'em won't be doin' much at any given time. If you only had one guitar player,with a harper,I'd say keys would be OK,but with 2 guitars around,you don't need the extra mouths to feed. If your harper can play keys,then you'll get some mileage out of him,for certain tunes. Even an organ chording quietly behind the band can add depth to the sound,and if he can't riff too well,you always got the other guitar player and the harp there.(of course,if they're all really great musicians,the more the merrier)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Blues band closer to reality.

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:50 am

Alright, Stratman. So glad to hear you finding a good band and people to play with and make music. It's so exciting when it's all there and you're playing what you want to play. Keep the spirit with it all the time. If that makes sense to you.
lorilu
Regular

Its on tonight

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Went down just an hour ago to set up my stuff. Drummers already got his drums there and set up. The other guitar guy will be there soon to set up. No word on the harp player but he may be a last minute show up. For a first jam/rehearsal session we are in pretty good shape. I sound checked my guitar and the PA while I was there and me and the bass player jammed a couple tunes to tune up with. So folks "IT'S ON TONITE"

Yee Haw

stratman_27
Regular

RE: Its on tonight

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Good on ya',Stratman! Sounds like it'll be a great time. Best wishes with everything.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Its on tonight

Postby nizer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Go get 'em Stratman!
nizer
Regular

Review of last nite

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:34 pm

For a first time jam with new folks I'll have to say without prejudice that I was totally stoked. I had to quit singing a couple times just to listen to the groove we were in. With a little practice we could be a very tight unit. We played through roughly about 25 tunes. Great guitar balance between me and the other guitar player. His leads are punchy and chimey while mine tend to be fuzz and wah drenched with alot of big bends. Now get this, best of all every last one of us can sing lead vocals. Never before have I played in a band where every one could sing. There were only two mics hooked up last nite but looks like we'll need four. Can't wait to hear the harmonies we cook up. Looks like I'm going to have to get another electric set up to play slide on because they was really digging on my slide riffs last nite. A great nite for all of us and we all made plans to hit it again next thurs or fri nite.

You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: Review of last nite

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:47 pm

It's a good feeling,isn't it Stratman! Workin' with talented veterans is alot easier than bustin' heads. It's one thing to get "that feeling" when you're playin' with guys you've known for years, but it's a pleasant reward when it happens with a new bunch. I hope all the peripheral stuff works out,so you can keep this thing goin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Did the harp player show up?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:50 pm

Nope no harp player but we had a great sound without.

You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:48 pm

I'll come play some harp fer ya!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:09 pm

Whooooohooooo! and Yee Haw! Alright, you go, Stratman. So glad to hear it. Keep us informed of your goings on.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:03 am

Well heres the update folks. We've had two rehearsals so far and played through more or less about 45-50 different tunes. We've decided for the next couple weeks to pick like 5-6 tunes and polish them up and then move on. We have enough material to play 2 or 3 sets but we need to figure out our arrangements so we can tighten up those tunes. Lyrics need to get memorized and so on. Been a great experience so far and everyone seems on the same page. Already have had a couple requests to play at a couple of pig roasts later this summer and we may be playing a 4th of July festival for some bikers. More updates to follow

stratman_27
Regular

Postby Bloozman » Sat May 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Stratman...be careful with 2 guitars...They sometimes can step on each other..I much prefer 1 guitar...If you want a 5 piece, get a Hammond player IMO.. I have a 5 piece with harp and Hammond B3/piano, and the sound is awesome......Bloozman
Bloozman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat May 20, 2006 3:21 pm

I love two guitars. There are players that work off each other perfectly and that is the ultimate. Trading rhythm and leads or one dominant on rhythm and one on leads. I love the sound of layering guitar work. It can be messy at times but that is the challenge. When the band works together and the egos are banished it comes down to the making of great music. An organ player can also get tangled in leads and rhythm as much as another guitar player can. I've actually witnessed it. But I know what you are saying. My two cents.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs