Going to prison

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Going to prison

Postby fat paul » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:39 pm

My Guitar player called yesterday and informed me that we are booked to play a fedral womens prison. We will be playing our usual assortment of Blues, R&B, Soul and Oldies. Two hour set, The pay is good and it sounds like a fun gig. Have any of you ever played a prison gig? if so and advise or encouragement would be very helpfull
Thanks fat paul
fat paul
Regular

RE: Going to prison

Postby warren » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:48 pm

leave your wallet and jewelry at home :)

ww
warren
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:02 pm

I have spent alot of time in prisons. Many of my childhood freinds ended up there on their 18th birthdays, at Rawhway State. I would visit every weekend. Those were some intense visits. I learned a lot about the prison culture. I would also drop bags of drugs in the bushes outside the prison, because one of my friends was a trustee, and got to work on the outside grounds. One thing I did learn from those visits is, that I will never go to prison. Guys were screaming at me all the time from their cells about what they would do to me, sexually, when I got in there. That freaked me out beyond words.

I have never played a prison,but hope I do someday. From what I have seen of my many visits, is this. Be real. They are a primative culture, that deals more in the concrete, than abstract. Don't be afraid to say what is in your heart, in other words, don't avoid the "prison" word, if it wants to come out. These people have very little outside entertainment, and they have no where else to go for your show, than to sit in their cells, so don't be afraid to cut loose! My friends would go on and on, about any entertainment they got, and how it made them feel like they were outside the walls. Belive it or not, your show will be like a stones concert to them,if you get into it! Have fun. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:36 pm

I haven't played a prison show, but I play regularly at Drug Rehabs and Halfway Houses.

Generally, a very good audience with at least one heartbreaking moment.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:29 pm

Walter and Allen, thanks. I am looking so forward to this gig that I am almost at a loss for words. Both my brother and dad did time and there but for the grace of God go I. My greatest wish is that we can lighten the ladies lives for a little while. Thanks agen
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:30 pm

I've been told by a correctional officer friend that women cons are meaner and nastier than the men! I bet it'd be easy to get a date for after the show!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:51 am

RE: getting a date after the show. The long suffering Mrs. fat paul would take a very dim view of any such actions
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:17 am

Coincidentally, I got my copy of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison CD from Amazon today, along with a reprint of an English book on building valve audio amplifiers from 5 to 1100 watts. (Previously I'd been listening to a bootleg of Mr. Cash's prison album.)

If anyone thinks they want to build an 1100 watt amp, the book's titled "An Approach to Audio Frequency Amplifier Design, Seventeen Circuits from 5- to 1100- Watts," originally published by The General Electric Co. Ltd. of England, and reprinted by Audio Amateur Press.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:20 am

One thing's for sure..... When they say 'Lights out' around there.... they mean it. Eh?

I think it would be a LOT of fun.... but I wouldn't want to stay or make any long term committments to anybody.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:51 am

How cool, please let us know how it went.
lorilu
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:43 am

Sounds like it should be a cool gig.

Hey Ric, what the hell is that 1100 watt amp for?
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:56 am

Tomorrow night, I'll be playing at a womens drug rehab facility in Oakland - one I played last year, and had a good time at.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 am

>Hey Ric, what the hell is that 1100 watt amp for?

Something you want to sound really loud.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:41 am

I want that amp so I can record the yappin pain in the ass dog next door and play it back at LARGE vol. at about 5AM and 10PM with big ol' stage cabs. faced right at her bed room window!}>
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:04 pm

With the treble cranked up, natch.

I've found a much cheaper and just as effective way to inflict pain and terror on obnoxious little yap dogs. Go to Coast To Coast Music, buy one of his 33 key melodicas, and blow hard with the two highest keys E and F) held down together. It'll make everyone around hold their ears and grimace, and dogs will flee at Seabiscuit speed. My teacher Jason took care of some yap dogs barking at him and his construction crew from next door, exactly that way. (He'd take that thing to work and play music during lunch break.)

ricochet
Regular

Return to About Gigs