What do you wear at gigs?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: What do you wear at gigs?

Postby bluesfyre » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Sometimes, at the last minute, you don't have too much time to plan your wardrobe. Just off another gig, we were asked to play at a certain hurricane benefit late this summer. Ah, yes, complete with front stage disco ball, and a stage side kareoke machine, we played.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/michael.manning/img_2438.jpg

Mick
http://www.soundclick.com/badpoetry
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:00 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-06 AT 10:04 AM (EST)]well! I will get razed fo this but, When I go out I dress to Kill,Thats what I love about the blues family here in mississippi,I travel all thu the delta and play at any juke joint I can,and when a blues man walks into the room you know he is here fo biz, I love it!! Greeen suits ,yellow suits ,sparklie dresses,big hats etc. The way you present your self is show biz,you get everyone excited before you play a note!!Plus standin out in a crowd! Ironin Board Sam told me If you can walk off the stage and get lost in the crowd your not a Bluesman!! Just like your axe if you walk out with a piece of crap axe you won't be takin serious,Ive walked into juke joints where nobody knows me and when I step in all eyes are on me,and the Band asks me to stand in!!Just because of my presentation,I normally wear Black silk pants,White Silk Shirt with Black pearl Buttons, Black silk Jacket,Top off with a Black Felt Hat with A silk Hat Band and Feather On the side,With plenty of Bling on my fingers, Black Gibson Case with 601 stenciled on it, Black Boots, and Iam ready to go!! Ive gotton a lot of bad responce on other sites about dress alot of people think you can dress anyway you want,Iam glad to hear there is people here that feel, the same as I do, Its show Biz!! and when I feel great I play great!!YEAH!!! Then when I reach into the case and pull out my axe I have chosen for the evening with the engraved pick guard with 601 R.J.Blair on it and gold truss rod cover people are primed fo da Blues and Iam pumped and then I give em Both Barrels!!I LOVE IT!!
601blues
Regular

PICS if this don't work i give up

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 pm

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/ronsbabby013.jpg
601blues
Regular

RE: PICS if this don't work i give up

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:24 pm

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/cut345002.jpg
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm

When people go out They want to see somphin special,and if your are gigin its up to you to give em somphin special!!Whats the diff in chickin Breast Grilled, at wendys 99 cents,on a bun wraped in paper,at a 5 star rest 19.00 on a plate with a fork,and served to you, 18.00 for[ presentation!! ]
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:46 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-06 AT 10:54 AM (EST)]Some folks are sure to say that if you play well enough, that attire shouldn't matter. That's BS, and as has been also noted, probably related to personal authority issues.

As an update, and upgrade, I've been working hard on dressing up our band. I've started picking up nice finds for them at Goodwill and Salvation Armani. I know all of their sizes now, as in the past I only shopped for myself. It's actually become kind of a friendly competition with the guys taking pride in how they look and trying to outdress each other...which of course was my goal from the start.

Our lead guitar player cracked me up this past weekend. His wife found him and old black tux jacket with satin lapels and tails. I found him a classy royal blue vest and he got a new black dress shirt. On Saturday night he was wearing it all at once with a bolo tie. On one of the breaks he told me, "You know, in my last band I hated dressing up. I didn't like being told what to do and fought it tooth and nail. But you f#ckers have sucked me right back in... look at me, I feel like Wyatt Earp!" :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:50 pm

I dress simply when I'm playing.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7362 ... /kulr1.jpg

In Black.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I always thought those photo-line-ups were supposed to have the height measured on the wall.
And a couple of other suspects in shot.
Live and learn...
stumblin
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Yep...

That's the guy, officer!

I'd recognize that stucco shadow anywhere.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:20 pm

I did it, I'd do it again, and they'll never take me alive.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:42 pm

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:16 am

Da man has style...I agree with BB King, when playing a gig, dress like you are going to the bank for a loan.
mike932
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:37 am

601, those are some beautiful guitars and inscriptions. I think if you got what it takes to back up how you look it would be a blast for the people. It IS fun when someone just has something really different and exciting. I think I'd probably be up dancing the whole time.
Bosco, I think it would be a dream come true for me, when I'm in the mood, to be shopping for cool stuff for other people to dress up in a band. Yeah, I could get into that.
Dan, that's a dashing look.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 am

Thank you for saying so.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:29 pm

I think it would be a dream come true for me, when I'm in the mood, to be shopping for cool stuff for other people to dress up in a band.

Lorilu-

Well, I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I work a sales territory that takes me an hours' drive in every direction to about 25 calls. I have every Goodwill and Salvation Armani store in my territory staked out, probably 12 stores in 8 different towns total. I can even arrange my itinerary so I can hit these stores between calls, at lunch, or at the end of the day.

I try to get to each store at least once a month. When I get there I go straight to men's shirts, check the suits and vest area, neckties and then to black T-shirts...always on the lookout for a great dress hat. I can be in and out in about 15 minutes. It's fun and really rewarding to give the guys a great find that I got for a couple of bucks! I'll get around to posting some pics one of these days after I sign up at photobucket.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs