What do you wear at gigs?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: What do you wear at gigs?

Postby bluejay » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:57 pm

Well, Bubba, would that we could all afford the dry cleaner bill for Italian silk, lol, let alone the suits! I always am amazed I haven't seen more rockers dropping from heat exhaustion when they stick to their leathers no matter how hot the lights or the summer day. Certainly there is the option of tropical weight in suits -- sharp, but made for heat, usually of fabrics that stay somewhat crisp in heat and humidity. Hot weather finds me in Hawaiian shirts and khakis or shorts. Can't say I'd ever want to play in front of people in shorts, though (however, I do have good legs, ha ha.)

As for me sweating, it wouldn't take me doing much of a workout to get it flowing in a wool suit in a warm apartment, let alone on a real stage with lights in a stuffy bar. I do know what you mean about having a player look like he or she is working for your benefit.

BTW, I didn't get to play last night -- party was canceled because of a power outage that hadn't been fixed by the utlity company. I felt for the hostess (her birthday bash) as she had really worked to set up a fun evening. We would have moved it to our little house if there had been enough advance notice to move all the crap out of the way.

So the suit awaits its debut -- I even went out and bought suspenders and my first pair of wingtips in 40 years. My wife can't wait to see me all fixed up.
bluejay
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:20 am

I keep my dress simple and neat. A cotton long sleeve shirt, black jeans with a bolo tie. I have one with a bears head on it and one with and arrow head on it. Both were made for me by a nice old gentle man. I wear hicking shoes. They look good and leave my feet cushioned. I also take a 3/4 inch 2 foot square mat with me for added cushion. I like to stand and play bass but my feet can't take hard stage floors. If I forget my mat I will have sore feet the next day. On hotter days I wear a tight fitting sleeveless t-shirt and sometimes a Under Armor sleevless T designed to pull sweat away from my body to dissapate in the air. I will be 50 soon but due to 22 years of bodybuilding I am pretty muscular so tank tops and sleeveless T's go across okay.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby dgdgbd » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:09 am

At my Farmer's Market show today, I wore a fairly typical outfit; black jacket and tie, black shirt, black snap brim Stetson, black Blunstone boots.

And Grady's right - personal hygene is a must, although I'm guaranteed to smell funky by the end of a performance.
dgdgbd
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:36 pm

There was a guy in the audience at our first gig that does embroidery, and did these shirts for us for free. So we went with it.
http://www.ukeblue.com/group01.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:49 pm

Good lookin' bunch,Onefer! Very wholesome lookin'....I guess you guys don't do "Highway to Hell",huh? One of my favorite shirts on a bandmember was this very busty and sexy girl bassist who fronted her band. She wore jeans with a T-shirt that said in big letters kinda wrapped around her chest,"I'm with the band-stick around".
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:18 pm

Oh yeah...wholesome would be one way to put it! We would do Highway to Hell if I could convince them to...yeah right...on banjo and acoustic guitar :)...maybe a nice country blues version. These are great people and I'm having a blast. I've worked with Collin (middle top) for 20 years now...and he recently became our boss, and the other two guys are on my crew at work.
1four5
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:56 pm

Listen to the Knitters version of "Born to be Wild" and it might give you some inspiration for a version of "Highway." The Knitters are a folkie-bluegrassy side project of John Doe and Exene Cervenka of X along with Dave Alvin, Jonny Ray Bartel and D.J. Bonebrake, The CD is The Modern Sounds of the Knitters.
bluejay
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 pm

Well, Hayseed Dixie already beat you to the punch with a bluegrass version of "Highway To Hell" anyway-

[link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005CCB0/qid=1134946327/sr=2-2/ref=|Hayseed Dixie]

It would still be a nice touch though!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:59 pm

A Mississippi juke joint, a brewpub in Sheffield and an upscale nightclub halfway between Detroit and Chicago are miles apart my friends...

Back to the original topic. Our best gig pays us several hundred more than we can make anywhere else and is a two nighter, Fri & Sat nights, once a month. (We are in a steady rotation with 3 other bands.) Last week, on Saturday, our bass player showed up in a red and white vertically striped cotton shirt (badly wrinkled) and a red and white mesh trucker's baseball hat that said "World Strip Poker Champion." I asked him if he was going to wear the hat onstage and he replied "I thought it matched the shirt well." I simply said "nice touch." One of the guitar players is wearing a denim shirt with the shirt tail out. I knew they both looked like crap, but they are grown men and as has been noted, most musos resent being told what to do.

The band played well, but sure enough, the owner pulled me aside late in the evening and told me, "We really love your sound, and your band is pretty much what we are looking for here...BUT...we want to cultivate an image as the most upscale club in town. If you want to continue playing here, you're going to have to tell your guys, no ball caps, no denim, no T shirts and no jeans." I told her no problem as I was in 100% agreement anyway! I further hinted that maybe she should mention it to some of the other guys as well, so they could hear it from her. Sure enough, because I had questioned his attire at the beginning of the night, the bass player didn't believe she said that until they heard it from her.

I've always resented the politics involved in a band and hate being a taskmaster. But it's all relative to where you are playing and dammit, you gotta use your head! If it's a Biker's Club PigRoast, then by all means, wear your black T shirt, tattered jeans and jack boots. If it's the best club in town, you'd better be prepared to look the part.

Some folks are sure to say that if you play well enough, that attire shouldn't matter. That's BS, and as has been also noted, probably related to personal authority issues. I'm here to say that no matter how well you play, your lack of attention to clothing can and will cost you gigs.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:45 pm

When I saw Smokey Robinson & the Miracles in a Washington, D.C., night club back in the late '60s, I can tell you they looked sharp - tuxes of course, not simply the matched suits you'd see them in on TV. Playing the room is important. Now I thank my folks for making me bring a sport coat on that trip (I think I was 15), because without one, I'd never have gotten in the club.

Bosco, I give the club owner some credit for having a goal for the venue. And it's her club. Just like on my sailboat, if you want to come aboard, it better be in boat shoes or barefoot.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:58 pm

I stopped into a specialty clothing store yesterday,in a tourist trap town on the St.Croix river, and the sales lady saw me eyeballing some fedoras on a rack. She saw me tip it on,hip-hop style,with the brim up all the way around,and proceeded to lecture me on the proper way to wear it(front brim down-she was old) ,and put it on. It was a nice hat,and I thought of Bosco as I checked the pricetag: $85.00! I told her it looked nice on her,which seemed to piss her off,and vowed to do my shopping at a good 2nd hand store,where I'm sure I can get one as nice for closer to $10-$20.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:22 pm

>These are great people and I'm having
>a blast. I've worked with Collin (middle top) for 20 years
>now...and he recently became our boss, and the other two
>guys are on my crew at work.

So who's the attractive lady in front? Great shot Dean - looks like an audience at San Quentin... lol!

Bluejay, the Knitters are great and so was X - especially their first two recordings. Billy Zoom was a great rockabilly-punk guitar player. As for oddball covers, lately for some perverted reason I've been playing an acoustic guitar/bluegrass version of Jimi Hendrix's "Manic Depression". It translates well.
nizer
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:54 am

>So who's the attractive lady in front? Great shot Dean - looks like an audience at San Quentin... lol!<

That's Alice, Tom's (lead guitar/keyboards) wife, who has joined us on rhythm guitar, and man can she sing! Hey in Kansas denum flies well...if you tuck it in, your dressing up. If you going to church, trade the tennies for loafers. Anything more than that and your a business person or a laywer...
1four5
Regular

Postby nizer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:55 am

>Hey in
>Kansas denum flies well...if you tuck it in, your dressing
>up.

I hear ya. That embroidery emblems are nice - I like the banjo!
nizer
Regular

Postby bluejay » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 am

In northern Wisconsin, dressing up means putting on your $350 leather Packer jacket instead of your $125 nylon Packer parka.
bluejay
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs