What do you wear at gigs?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: What do you wear at gigs?

Postby grady » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:58 am

>>>I can't wear Polyester.
>>>It causes me to break out really bad.
>
>And THAT my friend is WHY the good Lord created Levis and
>flannel shirts!

Damn right !!!
grady
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:04 pm

>>>>I can't wear Polyester.
>>>>It causes me to break out really bad.
>>
>>And THAT my friend is WHY the good Lord created Levis and
>>flannel shirts!
>
>Damn right !!!

Yeah...and don't forget cotton underwear!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:35 pm

A trick my wife told me, if you get red wine spilt on a white or pale coloured fabric, scrub it with white wine. Depending on how much stain there is, you might need to do it more than once, but it does work.

As for the audience point of view, how much dressing up is part of the show is to do with the atmosphere and how much you pay for your ticket. I pay a gold plated price, I want to see a gold plated performer.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:04 pm

>>>Yeah...and don't forget cotton underwear!

WOW McGoo... you must be a rich bluesman! :o
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deferre » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:45 pm

>>>>Yeah...and don't forget cotton underwear!
>
>WOW McGoo... you must be a rich bluesman! :o

We always use silk.
That successful we are. }>

The hoodoogang, Belgian Blues Band.

http://www.thehoodoogang.com
deferre
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:25 pm

>>>>>Yeah...and don't forget cotton underwear!
>>
>>WOW McGoo... you must be a rich bluesman! :o
>
>We always use silk.
>That successful we are. }>

Showoff! :)
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:33 pm

I don't wear Underwear.....ever.

My "Boys" like to breathe and wearing underwear feels very uncomfortable.
It's kinda like trying to put a Bowling Ball in a Marble bag if ya know what I mean,,,,LMAO !!
grady
Regular

Postby deferre » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:46 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-05 AT 03:48 AM (EST)]>>>>>>Yeah...and don't forget cotton underwear!
>>>
>>>WOW McGoo... you must be a rich bluesman! :o
>>
>>We always use silk.
>>That successful we are. }>
>
>
>Showoff! :)

You asked for it:
http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?op= ... 3&view=241

(Sorry, I lied. It's not real silk) :D

Update: We also have them for ladies:
http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?op= ... 632999#top

The hoodoogang, Belgian Blues Band.

http://www.thehoodoogang.com
deferre
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:22 pm

Ha!

That's pretty cool, Deferre!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Saturday night I'll be playing a bit at a colleague's birthday bash. I did it last year and she liked it so much that she is making her whole party an open mic this time around. And she asked for those attending to dress "outrageously." So I was in Goodwill yesterday after work looking for something -- came across a nice real-deal Western-style sport jacket (made in Dallas, USA) for $3.99, but it was cut a tad too slim in the hips. Not that it was outrageous, but it was stylin' for the Northwoods. I didn't find anything over the top, but I did find a top-flight Hart, Schaffner & Marx double-breasted gray muted-plaid wool suit in pristine condition (extra buttons still in a jacket pocket)-- and both the pants and jacket fit. Cost $12.99 for what easily has to be a $400 or more suit (I haven't looked too closely at suit prices in decades, but this is a nice one). Now, considering what folks are used to me wearing, for me to show up in a suit that looks like it came straight from a lawyer's closet probably would be outrageous. I still have to find real button-style braces and the right shirt to finish the look.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:32 pm

Bluejay: next time I get over there,you'll have to tell me where that store's at.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Bubba, the Goodwill in Rhinelander is right downtown in the Trig's supermarket "mall" along the river. It's in the former Woolworth's space on the other end from the grocery store. That's when you know you live in a small town, when the Goodwill store is a mall anchor.

The suit is a pretty good score. There weren't many sport coats or suits at all, so to come away with a trophy item was sheer luck. The checkout lady said good suits don't last long. It may have just been put out that day from the sounds of it.

The only thing that would make the suit better is if it was year-round or summer weight wool. This is at best a 3-season (fall/winter/early spring) item, so a hot stage might not be it's forte. Luckily, I don't expect the latter at the party, though I bet the jacket will be off pretty quick anyway, and if I do wear a tie, it will be loosened really quickly.

Just debating now whether the acoustic (with pickup, through the Micro Cube, or the pink paisley Tele through the Pignose will be the best choice to go with the suit, lol.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 pm

Bluejay: it ain't the worst thing to sweat at gigs. I've seen way too many entertainers who don't break a sweat. I'm not sayin' a guy should look like a pig when he's playin', but to inject energy and enthusiasm into a crowd,IMO, you've gotta be responsible for puttin' it out- that's your job. Too often,entertainers' body language and effort level are crowd dampeners. As cool as Grady is,he may tell you that he doesn't sweat on stage,but that would surprise me after listenin' to his music. But,I digress. What would you think the best materials for giggin' suits are.....cotton,and silk, instead of wool....? Those pics of Bosco look like wool to me,but maybe they're some kinda blend. I've got a couple cotton suits,and they look good rumpled, or pressed- each way has its own "look".
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:32 am

Naw, I've seen Grady sweat.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:10 am

I definitely sweat on stage and,,,,being a little over weight at 235 lbs.,,,I'm very self-concious about Body Odor.

Add that to the fact that I always drive around 100 miles to a gig,,,unload and set everything up by myself,,etc.
I always dress very light & comfortable until time to play.

Clean clothes are an absolute necessity.

I have a lot more respect for someone who has Jeans,,T-Shirt and a Ball cap on that smells good than someone who dresses "flashy" and stinks.

I recently did a gig with another very well-known act from NC that wore dirty clothes,,had greasy un-kept hair and basically set up a 20 foot barrier between themselves and the crowd with the combination of their "look" and Body Odor.

Then,,,,,there was the aforementioned "Big-Time" act from down in the Delta who wore very "slick" clothes but,,,you could smell them from around the corner before they took the stage.

To each his own but,,,there's a lot to be said for personal hygiene.

I do realize that by the time I'm finished with a show,,,I smell "sweaty" but,,,it's not a "I haven't showered in a day or two and my Clothes haven't been washed in a Month" stink.
grady
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs