Adios to Southern Rock/Blues

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Adios to Southern Rock/Blues

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Well I e-mailed the frontman from this Southern Rock/Blues tribute band today,to back out of playin' with them. After 3 weeks of learnin' the only 13 harp tunes that ZZTop apparently did,and a few other Blackfoot,Skynnerd,and Marshall Tucker tunes (There was no SRV,Johnny Winter,etc.), I jus' couldn't get interested in the kinda music they were playin',since there wasn't alot for me to do. I could jus' see that I wuz gonna spend most of my time either standin' around between harp breaks,or playin' keyboard parts and singin' some backup. I had struggled with this decision since day one,and goin' with 'em jus' didn't feel right. I feel like I've been set free. I saw the frontman walkin' around out on our carlot today,while I was workin' a lease deal for a customer,but he never came inside.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Adios to Southern Rock/Blues

Postby bluesfyre » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:17 pm

Been there Jeff. Its great music and I love listening to it, but with the exception of the odd wail in 'F', there isn't too much harp. You probably, as you said, would have ended up banging a tamborine, or shaking an egg or somethin :-) Best to just move on.

Mick
Bad Poetry Blues
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:39 pm

Wow. That's something. Not always an easy decision. Well, you know when you move on you make room for what you really want even if you have to wait a bit for it. Usually that time is spent refining and refocusing. I'm wanting to say congratulations to you, Bubba. A lot of people will stay in somewhat unsatisfying situations instead of reaching out for the completely unknown. Takes faith. Adios cover guys.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:39 am

Do you have another gig Bubba?
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:04 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-06 AT 07:07 AM (EST)]>Do you have another gig Bubba?
Nope,not right now. I'm gettin' opportunities to keep my chops up (other than practicin') by hittin' one open mic on Wednesday nites,where it turns into basically a jam for me,cuz I'm the only harper,and I've been sittin' in with some of my friends here 'n' there (played during 3 sets at a different club this Wed.;missed my open mic). I've got a jam at a town about 40 miles away that I've been goin' to for about 12 years,but it's also on Wednesday nites. I can jam with a buddy who I've played with,off/on for 35 years every weekend. I'm not in a big hurry to gig right now,'cuz I've had about 3 deals blow up on me in the last 5 months--I'm tired of tryin' to force it. I personally don't value the giggin' part as much as the rehearsals and learnin' music...I'm 54 years old,and I teach Sunday School,so workin' 'til 1 or 2AM Saturday nite is not a great thing for me(my day job is a 50 hr.week). I might even do an acoustic duo thing..I dunno.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs