Jammin at the Blues Jam

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Jammin at the Blues Jam

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:58 pm

I musta had on those manpants. I finally got myself up there and played at the jam. My daughter stayed at her dad's and called several times to make sure I left home to go and play. She knows I let some people knock down my confidence about 5 years ago and I'm over it now!

I had to travel quite a ways but it is the most friendliest bunch a people. The awesome thing was there was another female bass player and she was kinda nervous too. They put us up together with a few other players and after the first song, the guitar player turned around and exclaimed, "Rock Solid". Let me tell you. It was awesome. People were so cool. Everyone liked my solid time and blues feel. We played till the sweat was pouring off - I mean, I was glowing. The bass player was great. She rocked.

Met some more great people and didn't get home till morning as I live so far away. The bar is owned by a jazz drummer and he is way cool. This is my second time and he has, both times, came and spent time talking with me about drumming and gigging. He's been playing forever. So I feel very blessed. Worth the trip. Thanks to Walter for getting me up to play at his house. It was very comfortable there so I got over the first fear. It's been awhile since I felt I could just get up and play and it's starting to feel right again and I am remembering why I've been doing this.

I am still working on learning all the songs for this audition cd I picked up last week. They know I'm interested and have my numbers. I love this band and though it's not blues it's all originals with some quality music, lyrics and interesting drum parts for days. They're playing tonight and since my daughter will be gone for a few days, thought I'd check them out and maybe introduce myself. Scary. Oh, and they're young hottie guys, too. Damn!!!!!! Focus, focus.

And thanks to you guys for being a musicians community when I didn't have one in my own back yard and really needed the communication and encouragement. Brothers -and sisters in music.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Jammin at the Blues Jam

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:04 pm

Way to go, LoriLu! I knew you could do it!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:06 pm

Now that's what I've been waiting to read!!! Nice going Lorilu!!!!
1four5
Regular

Postby oleman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Even though I haven't been around BRB that long, I always really appreciated your support and encouragement. I'm honored to be able to reciprocate! Thumbs up sign here!!!
oleman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm

>>>Oh, and they're young hottie guys, too. Damn!!!!!!

And WE are the dogs? LOL
That's fantabulous LL, good onya darlin!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Sounds like your rolling in high cotton there LoriLu. Wish we had a young lady for a drummer ours kinda looks like Meatloaf. But he's a real nice dude.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-06 AT 08:15 PM (EST)]Whew! I'm glad you said he after saying "our drummer looks like Meat Loaf!" That'd be most unfortunate for a lady.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:53 am

keep on banging those skins Lorilu!
jaybee
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:31 am

Now thats what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Glad you had a good time Lorilu, and good luck with the audition.
Just remember, confidence comes with practise.
Practise up, be confident, and you'll get the gig.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby warren » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:13 am

congrats lorilu! I'm proud of you...and i bet you look damn good in man pants :)

I haven't had the nerve to play out in a blues jam yet....but i will!

ww
warren
Regular

Postby david » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm proud for you, and jealous. Please go back and keep telling us all about it. I'm not above living my life vicariously.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks guys! I am going back as they're having an 8 hour jam on Saturday for a benefit and I am real comfortable like the old days now. It is really great to see a few other women musicians there too. And the guys are friendly and supportive. The house band's rhythm section is a drummer husband and bass player wife. And they are great. They also walk around holding hands. I love that.

Still haven't heard back from the band which might be better although I love their music and the drum parts. I am still a mom and my daughter still needs me to be here for at least another year. I have seen what's happened to a lot of my old friends kids when they chose their personal interests over their family. We're almost there and she has her last year of high school coming up.

My ideal situation would be to still get the gig and that they would not be ready to travel or gig all the time for another year.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs