Sunday night rehearsal happenings

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Sunday night rehearsal happenings

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:24 am

Our normal Friday nite practice got moved to Sunday this past week and we noticed that there was another band practicing in a garage across the street from my bandmates house where we practice. They were playing some Metallica tunes and other assorted "heavy" stuff. They quit an hour or so before we did and came over to hear us practice. They knocked on the door right after we played "Sunshine of your Love" and asked if they could hang out and listen. One fellow asked me where that lead guitar tone was coming from and was completely blown away when I showed him my "little" Classic 30 and meager effects setup. "Man, I got a Crate half stack down there and don't have anywhere near that good tone from it. It's loud though" I let him know that I had been exactly where he was about 15 years ago when I was his age.

Long story short I think we made an impression on those boys that louder and bigger is not better. They sat on my buddies couch with mouths dropped open and eyes wide as we ran through a few more tunes before we quit for the evening. They thanked us for letting them hang out and told us about an upcoming battle of the bands and that we should enter. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: Sunday night rehearsal happenings

Postby 1four5 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:33 am

>They thanked us for letting them hang out and told us about an upcoming battle of the bands and that we should enter<

20 something years ago I went to watch a battle of the bands. After several hours of on and on and on and on and on Eddie VanHalen impersonators (he was the hot ticket back then, before all this shredding stuff) a band came on with some gut wrenching BB meets SRV blues. The crowd hushed, the place was taken by suprise, and they won. Sort of like how can you choose between a bunch of identical apples when a big juicy orange shows up. You'all might smoke em!
1four5
Regular

Postby david » Wed May 03, 2006 1:24 pm

The generic may be where the money is--by definition, its where the masses are. But I think real talent always stands out.

I've always wondered how a truly unique band ever got started--think Pink Floyd playing high school proms.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu May 04, 2006 1:23 am

I think it would be a blast to go for that battle of the bands. If for nothing else than to share what you guys do with the young dudes.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs