I Did It!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

I Did It!

Postby lorilu » Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 pm

Last night I went to my Hometown blues jam and I sure enough got up and played. I guess when I got up when I was out of town at the friendly jam I mustve cleared the way. Now this is the place I have spent many, many nights listening and dancing and have admired the awesome musicians for many, many years. The person that has this jam had been someone I admired and she's a female blues drummer. Pretty damn good, too. But not always too nice. She did some sht - her and a female bass player, that shot me down pretty good and I avoided playing around them for quite awhile.

Somehow, last night, though I knew she would find a way to try to make a fool of me, I said, I just don't care. Got up on Thrill Is Gone, with my old boyfriend playing bass and singing (ironic) and a fast shuffle and something else. What a blast. She did grab a stick and started hitting the ride like showing me how to swing in the middle of the song. Interesting. I just don't care anymore. She does stuff like that to people and like my ex said, she has issues. Well, they're her issues and the people that know can see what's what.

Hey, it was fun! The guy that made me my first drum pad out of a phone book and duct tape was there playing harp and guitar, singing and dancing. One of my favorite guitar players was there too. My ex who is still my friend and who we used to jam together all the time was with me on my first song there. So it was very meaningful to me.

I know that next week this lady is going to be hard on me and keep on cause she hasn't changed but I think I can get through the things she says, of course over the mic, and whatever else she has up her sleeve. I am not in competition with her but I do not know what she'll do next. She spread around, in the past that I was a drunk, almost lost me my band by comments to the leader who luckily ignored her. But I need to jam right now. Can't afford the gas to go out of town all the time. This place was like my second home. I had fun dancin all night too.
lorilu
Regular

RE: I Did It!

Postby lightninboy » Tue May 02, 2006 2:37 pm

It take's all sorts to make a world.
She sounds like a nasty one though.
Every time you practise, picture her face. It may spur you on.
Hope you para her diddle next time you play!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 02, 2006 2:38 pm

But don't diddle her para.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm

What's with all the diddle lately?

Glad you had fun, Lu.

Keep your cool - if you act like you don't even know when there's petty B. S. going on, none of it will stick to you.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 02, 2006 4:02 pm

"I got diddling,
I got diddling all on my mind..."
;)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue May 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Yeah baby!
Dan, you started the diddling on Big Daddy's post when you said you did not diddle the female musicians in response to Tommy's post about women being too much trouble in a band!

I would not diddle her para with your johnson, OK. Thanks for the support,guys. I did pretend to not notice the BS but she definitely works it and I am one of those walk right into it kind of people, a bit naive and gullible. But I am still thrilled to have crossed over and got through it. Thanks guys!!
lorilu
Regular

Postby grady » Tue May 02, 2006 11:20 pm

LoriLu,

Congrats !!
Sounds like a good time (with the exception of Miss Asshole).

Just ignore her, people will respect you for it and you'll end up with a lot more friends.
Keep going, keep doing your best and sooner or later, you'll get a reputation as a much better Drummer and a helluva lot nicer person than that butthole.
grady
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue May 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Thank you, Grady. It was a big deal for me to have done it. My daughter couldn't believe I finally did it. A turning point for me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Wed May 03, 2006 12:51 am

Too cool LoriLu. Have lotsa fun playing and don't take any crap from little ms. ego. Life is too short and music is too important to play with a-holes
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu May 04, 2006 1:16 am

Yeah, too bad she runs the blues jam here in town.
lorilu
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Thu May 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Good one Lorilu! Sounds like good fun and meaningful for you.

As for that lady, don't stoop to their level is all I can say.
Have dealt with a lot of this exact same stuff before as a newcomer in the past to events.
There's always at least one..and often in the position of power too, that's just the way it seems to go!

Don't stoop to their level, and let it slide off you.
People DO notice this too and you'll earn respect.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri May 05, 2006 12:05 am

Thanks, Cheyenne. That was true - it did happen that way. And from the good players. They all gave me a thumbs up. And she did not throw me off this time.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs