Getting to your gigs

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Getting to your gigs

Postby mickeypainless » Sun May 07, 2006 5:30 pm

LL,
Pasche used to have an inline filter for both water and oil! Seems I saw one at Michaels art supply?!??!
I otta crack out my old Air Brushs.... got one single and one dbl action Pasche but haven't mess'd w/ em in 15 years!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon May 08, 2006 2:24 am

My closest gig is 100 miles away so, I have negotiated for more Money as of Late because of Gas prices.

Any gigs I accept in the future will have an extra $30.00 tacked onto the price at the very least.

If Venues don't want to increase my pay, I'll stay home and play BaseBall & Video games with my Son.
Makes no difference to me, I'm happy either way.
grady
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 am

Thanks Mickey, see I knew all the answers were here. A FILTER! This might be what's causing all the fish eyes (oily spots that repel paint). Yes, get out those airbrushes. I had no idea you did artwork too, but it seems to all go together. It's kinda weird but I noticed a lot of the guys that worked with horses were also artists and sculptors and a lot of the pinstripers were musicians. In fact many of the stripers are drummers. Very strange. I have been thinking about this and trying to figure out the correlation.

Grady, looks like you would have as much fun at home with your boy. But it is nice to get out and play and get paid for the gas, absolutely. I am sure they will pay.
lorilu
Regular

Postby grady » Mon May 08, 2006 6:34 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 02:35 AM (EST)]>
>Grady, looks like you would have as much fun at home with
>your boy. But it is nice to get out and play and get paid
>for the gas, absolutely. I am sure they will pay.

Yeh, they'll pay it but, I don't think they'll be happy about it...
LOL !!!

You know, I've been doing a lot of thinking this past week and,
I believe I could stop playing Music for a Living and never miss it.
My Wife took last week off because I had to go to a couple of different Dr.s and she was worried that I would have a hard time taking care of the kid and stuff.

I realized that playing Music really isn't important to me at all
anymore.
Sure, I stay heavily booked, make very good money and I have some great gigs but,
it's really just a job and like any other job, it gets old after a while.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to going back to work at all.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 11:50 am

Dunno about stripers and drummers in particular, but I've observed that there's a strong correlation between music, art and language skills generally.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon May 08, 2006 3:26 pm

There are stripers meets called Pinheads and after they panel jam (create striping panels and do projects together) there are music jams and a very large number of stripers are actually drummers. I went to one in northern California and sure enough most were musicians and several were drummers - so go figure.

Grady, this is interesting. You have been lucky to have been able to do what you have done. Sounds like you are ready to move on to something else or to develop it differently. John Lennon went into the home studio and made some awesome music while staying at home and taking care of his kid. I have found that when I have that feeling you are talking about it is because I have, as 601 says, outgrown it and need to keep on growing elsewhere. Let us know what you do.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 09:49 PM (EST)]Yeah John Lennon made some good tunes from a home studio but he had that Yoko Screamo chick that wanted to sing on them. Wow she was awful.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 09, 2006 2:08 am

So G-man,
What would ya wanna do if ya ain't out play'n?
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Tue May 09, 2006 4:04 am

>So G-man,
>What would ya wanna do if ya ain't out play'n?

Just takin' my kid to Baseball games, playin' ball with him,
Playin' Video games, Cooking, cleaning House.

Just hangin' out.

I feel like I've accomplished everything I ever wanted to in this Life and I'm ready to just concentrate on raising my Kid.

I really enjoy being a Father and I could do it 24-7 and be totally satisfied.

Man, he jumped into a pick-up Soccer game with some kids that were
3-4 years older than him the other day and he made them look silly !!
He had never played Soccer with other kids before and his natural Athletic ability was light-years ahead of those older kids.

He could steal the ball from them at will.
Then, he put his head down and drove the ball down the field making moves that left the other kids sitting on the grass.

Every time one of those Kids would try to steal the Ball from him, he would make a move to the Left or Right at the EXACT right moment and those kids would slip or trip and fall.
at the end of the drive, Stevie was kicking the ball into the Goal and those other Kids were just staring at him in disbelief.

It was amazing !!!

A Lady said "Who's kid is that?"
I looked at her and said "That's my Son"

She said, "Good God, that Kid is AWESOME !!"
and everyone else agreed with her.

Damn man, I was so proud.

that was a feeling 10 times better than any gig could ever give me.
grady
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue May 09, 2006 4:48 am

hi Grady: I am glad to hear you are doing well. I too, after a couple of decades of full timing it around the world, got tired, and quit. Now I am back to playing 1-2 gigs a week, and having a good time. Still though, when I look around a club sometimes, I say to myself, what the heck am I doing here? My regular sat gig is in a pretty eccentric club. I left sat night, and took my motorhome 1/2 mile down the road to the campground. Sunday morning I woke up to kids playing, dogs running, people sitting around the campfires, and the weather was perfect. I got up, took the dogs to the river, and let them swim and play till about 10am. We got in the MH, and drove home. I passed the club on the way, and 1/2 dozen of the hardcores were already out of thier vehicles(they sleep it off or live in them), sitting around on the patio, enjoying the same wonderful sunshine and nature I just had, except they were smoking and drinking already. The clubs make me pretty sad alot. I guess I will always have an ebb and flow with playing in places that serve alcohol. Tonight, I am not real excited about playing saturday. My allergies get real bad this time of year, and I feel sick all the time. I know when I get there, I will get something going, plus we will stay at the campground for the weekend. I love this part of playing again. I am a 1 man band, and travel with either just myself, or my wife and dogs. Performing music for $ is a mixed bag. I am glad now my music $ is just pocket change to keep me in strings and harps. Walter

here we are at the campground. It is right on the russian river, and 5 miles from the ocean. It is wonderful.

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Hey Grady, that's great about SRM's soccer talent! :7

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 09, 2006 1:43 pm

That is VERY cool about SRM Grady!
Soccer was my game and I even got to play w/ a rowdy team put together by the Queen's Navy against some Italian bunch once in Naples Italy! I loved the game and had my time coaching some kid teams. The down side to coaching was the parents.... lazy lard ass dads yellin and screaming at the kids and makin fools of themselves while living through their kids accomplishments.
I got the chance to be assistant coach of a Special Ed. team and moved up to head coach after the first season. Now that was a BLAST!
My main rule was that if a parent got pissed or yelled at one of my kids they had the chance to run laps or leave the field!
I kept it all about FUN and with the agreement of the other coach's the ending score was always a tie and both teams always got the party after! 95% of my team was pretty low functioning and winning and losing made no sense to em so it was all about fun and exercise!
I even had a blind goalie that my son or assistant would position for saves and blocks.
I know you are the kinda dad that will coach and mentor rather than belittle and berate if Stevie has a bad game so go have fun and ENJOY Bro!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue May 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Mickey, that is SO cool. That must've been a blast.
Walter, I was thinking exactly about you when Grady said he was ready to move on from gigging. After our discussion outside your house after the party, I definitely got to thinking about the realities of life on the road and like you said, the bars and clubs as being a sad place or a place for people in transition, single, divorced looking for something. I think the Blue Heron is real nice and that area is just so beautiful.

Grady, I really know what you mean about your son. I love my daughter so much. I used to hold her during her naps just so I could watch her sleep. I still, 16 years later, find myself staring at her and watching in amazement at what a great kid she has become. She has so much to offer the world and does so all the time and that makes me feel like I did my job. Raising a person who makes some kind of difference in the world in a good way makes me feel like I have accomplished a large part of my purpose. I have been tempted many times along the way by men, music, partying, even jobs and have come back to the simple and most satisfying thing I have EVER done. Caring for my child, raising her properly(?), keeping a home, a garden, animals - a real family life. Going to the Back to School nights volunteering in the classroom, being a room mom, baking cupcakes for every possible occasion. Going on field trips. Too much fun. My mom was gone a lot when we were growing up and I always remembered coming home to a cold empty house and having to cook and clean and watch my brother and sister. That's not really bad but I wanted my daughter to have it different.

I did not go as far in developing my own interests as far as being really good yet but that time is approaching and I am getting out there more. I am not sorry about my choice. I would have been really sorry if I hadn't done what I did.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs