Getting to your gigs

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Getting to your gigs

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Has the price of gasoline affected you as far as what you have to charge to play a gig. Or has anyone had to turn turn down a gig because its going to be to far away to be cost effective for you to play. My band is still in the rehearsal stage so we're not traveling to play gigs yet but hope too soon. Fortunately we all have day jobs and don't depend on music to keep our electric on.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

RE: Getting to your gigs

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:58 pm

I haven't worried about it. When I started playing for money, in the 70's, I got between $200-600 a night, and was playing 5-7 days a week. If I had any concern of $ today, it would be the pay. I couldn't get a $200 guarantee today, for a million bucks :) It has never to cease to amaze me, that over the years, musician pay has gone steadily down. I lived pretty high on the hog, in my earlier days. Now, I have a day job. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lightninboy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Same here in Australia.
Muso's pay hasn't got any worse, its stayed the same, while inflation puts up everything else.
I get payed about the same now as I did 20 years ago.
Now that sucks!
Where's the union? :)

As for fuel, well thats not a problem yet, but I'm guessing it soon will be.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Tue May 02, 2006 12:59 pm

I never worried about gas prices, ever since I got my licence, I always tanked for the same amount ;)
jaybee
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue May 02, 2006 11:45 pm

It is really bad right now. If I worried it would be all over. I cannot believe how much goes to gas and it is making it really hard to get my bills paid. I just close my eyes and go on automatic pilot and hope that someone can do to the oil companies what they are doing to us. It's not right.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat May 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Or has anyone had to turn turn down a gig because its going to be to far away to be cost effective for you to play.

Raising the asking pay for a gig in this area is not even an option. The venues pay what they pay and that is it. With DJs and Karaoke Klowns working for $150/night it's tough to get more than $300/night around here for a live band. As has been mentioned, back in the salad days of the 70s and 80s, live got bands routinely got $500-$600/night around here, much more than is paid now, 30 years later.

That said, the price of gas does influence what gigs we accept. We play at a place 50 miles north of here three or four times a year. He pays $600/weekend (Fri & Sat) in the winter months, and from Memorial Day through Labor day the scale drops to $500/weekend as his indoor business drops in the summer. With gas at nearly $3.00/gallon and dividing the pay five ways, we simply can't afford to play there in the summer hauling all that gear and traveling back for a second night. It's a shame, but simple economics.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sat May 06, 2006 12:42 pm

My gas bill averages 150.00 to 175.00 a week so I'm glad I'm not a workin musician!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sat May 06, 2006 1:06 pm

For the most part, I play solo acoustic shows around a pretty urban area - using a National Resophonic guitar and a LOUD voice - so I'm able to use public transportation and shanks mare for most shows - I rent a car for gigs further out, but mostly, I've been working San Francisco - Oakland - Berkeley - Walnut Creek - look at a Bay Area Rapid Transit map and you'll get the idea.

I'm a prodigious walker - in '97, we spent 4 months on the Appalachian Trail, averaging 17 miles a day. And I have the gear for it - a Ritter guitar bag that is set up with heavy, padded straps, shoes that I really like (Blunstones, for all you Aussies - comfortable and just barely dressy enough to wear with a jacket and tie).

My favorite walk to a show is to the Cannery in San Francisco - I take BART to the city and walk the length of Columbus Avenue, from the Transamerica Pyramid, past Chinatown and the Italian restaurants and Boho dives of North Beach. (The better Italian joints have young women imported to tout the food to passers by - Buon Giorno, smile, wave...)

http://www.smedjeriet.dk/blunstone%20500.gif

I love these things...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat May 06, 2006 6:36 pm

I like those shoes. You can hike in them and walk long distances? I love walking, too. I just live so far from everything now. Like Mickey, I spend a lot on gas. And now it is affecting my other bills.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat May 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Lu, they are about as comfortable as my Scarpa hiking boots - which I've been nursing along for about 13 years of resoling.

Even better - they have no metal parts, and slip on and off easily - the perfect airport shoe.

I've worn them on mountains, in the woods and in marsh country - since they don't lace up, they ain't the best in deep mud.

But I've worn them at festivals and taverns, on the street and at weddings - they are the best "go anywhere" footwear I've found.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sun May 07, 2006 5:27 am

BOSCO _ ...With gas at nearly $3.00/gallon...

and YOU are complaining???
we pay about $1.5 for one liter (0.22 gallon)!!

so you better not complain anymore, or I'll have to punish you: " you go drive around the block 10 times RIGHT NOW and think about how you been behaving young man!!"
jaybee
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun May 07, 2006 11:51 am

jyb-

I'll be the first to admit that Americans have been spoiled over the years by the availability of resources- but on the other hand, that is what has always made this the greatest place on earth to live.

For years we have heard about $3-$5/gallon petrol in Europe, but now that it's hit here, it doesn't make it any less traumatic. I drive a sales territory for a living and the cost of fuel has had a tremendous impact and continues to be a huge issue with my career and my company.

I play with my band for fun and stress relief and now the cost of fuel is screwing with that too. So yes, I am complaining.

I'll go drive around the block now. Just once, though. :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 3:06 pm

I certainly though about the gas price when I was thinking about going to a friend's gig some 70 miles away Friday evening. I ended up spending the time with my shut-in sister 35 miles the other way, in any event.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun May 07, 2006 4:03 pm

That was a nice thing to do, Ricochet. I pretty much live almost 60 miles from everything so it is really hard for me right now, but I am trying to start another business that will have me working more from home.

I finally purchased a new airbrush and all the materials and a couple a helmets. Started and had some trouble with this new water based automotive paint. It requires very thin coats and I got a few fish eyes. I was hoping to have these ready for this car show today, but it aint happenin. In the meantime people have been asking for my card including the vice president of a motorcycle club I met on Friday while buying a touch up gun. They want over twenty helmets. Everyone seems to want custom work done on their cars, bikes, helmets and guitars!!! Once the struggle with the materials is over, hopefully I will be able to afford the gas to go to the jams and to make a living!
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun May 07, 2006 4:05 pm

I am also not sure how to make sure my compressor has no oil in the lines. I do not see how it would. Maybe someone here knows how to check that sort of thing. I guess I should go to another site but I always find all my answers here.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs