Possibly worst playing ever almost

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Possibly worst playing ever almost

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

Oh man, I like bf's 3 golden rules. Great advice there!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Hang in there Lori. We all have our moments or nights that it just doesn't work. Keep going back though. It gets better with time and with time it becomes just another stage, just another day, just another gig.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:16 pm

I'm still a really green player, and this is an interesting topic. Thanks Lorilu, you have a way of making us think pretty deep sometimes. I'm finding out what I'm reading here is so true. Sometimes the energy is high, and there are little bits of my subconsious brain down in my fingertips, and I couldn't play wrong if I tried. Then other times there is a brick wall between my hands and brain, and I really have to dig in to pull off something that I thought was a no brainer. I don't know why. I wish I knew the formula. But then we are also our own worst critics, and living inside a song as it's happening is a different world than how it's percieved by a listener. Sometimes I think I totally slaughterd a song...and I hear applause...and I think hey you people...stop that, you should be throwing eggs at me. Then I'll listen to the tape, and it will sound ok, nothing like how I was percieving it...during the struggle to pull it out of my instrument. When those effortless times come around...it makes all the work, and all the sucky times worth it. During the sucky times, I'm working hard trying to find the path back to the effortless times...and the more I do it, the more they come around. What a journey.
1four5
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 11, 2006 1:05 am

It caught my attention in that lesson from B.B. King I posted a link to that he's as self-critical as most of us, and doesn't think he really knows much. Bet he's had bad nights, too. But he's kept on plugging away at it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu May 11, 2006 1:37 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 09:48 PM (EST)]To quote Keith Richards "Well.... You know... Picasso probably thought he was third rate too. Yeah...?" (Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll, Chuck Berry movie)

As a drummer, the only person you have to listen to is the bass player and hold the beat. You are in charge. Drummers lead everything. Click off the song.... lick into the chorus and into the break, etc. The trick is not listening to the players for the drummer because they will influence the BPM of the tune. Hold the bass player to the beat and make everybody stay with you. Just make sure you're right. Lots of pros have been using "beat bugs". They pick up on the BPM of the song and display it as a flashing light. Heart used to have a click track played thru their monitors on stage (but no in the mix). Lots of country bands use 'em. Keith Moon was one of the 1st. Excellent for live use. Nobody can EVER look at you and point a finger then thats for sure.

I like to try to record EVERYTHING so I can listen back to it later. It does amaze me sometimes when I 'think' I'm having a bad night and people rave all over it. Recordings help with that.... I do believe that you are your own worst critic. No matter who you are. But internal 'feelings' don't transfer to tape if you've practiced enough. Some will know what I mean. Same show, different venue, different town, different audience..... Thats where the'work' comes in. Thats how you can go see someone that you saw 20 years ago and say "Man.... what an incredible player" too.... That guy (insert name here) has been playing that same set, that same song.... same licks... for 20 years. He ought to have it down...!!!! Eh?

But thats the key to it all too. Stickin with it.... Sometimes its just in ya and you can't help but do it. Whether you want to or not...!!!! You just do it. Write songs, pick guitar, work out new licks to old songs, play with new musical sounds, etc. Can't help it. Thats all I think about.

Just like life too..... Longer your here the better it gets and the more fun you have.....

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby oleman » Thu May 11, 2006 1:50 am

LL If it was always easy, there wouldn't be any challenge and it probably wouldn't be that much fun. 1for5 nailed it, if I understood him correctly; We are own worst critics and usually the audience never even notices. Bless your heart, sometimes having fun is hard work, huh!
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu May 11, 2006 3:32 am

You got that right. Having fun can be painful! This is an opportunity for me to improve and with all the above suggestions I know exactly what to work on.

I always work with a metronome and have had compliments on my time. So I'll continue with that but the nail on the head is I got caught up in Shawn's and John's guitar playing. It was just really good- these guys are primo. I need to focus and lead and 'stick' with it.

I don't know if this matters or not but I was already tired and I went and visited a friend and drank a bunch of coffee to stay awake and still drive all the way home. I am trying to not have a beer or anything else to play. Just natural but that caffeine mighta made me a little tense. Maybe.

I appreciate all the comments. They have been really helpful. As far as being a critic, there were two really good drummers who just had it going on. I don't compare myself too much anymore as that is non productive. I try to learn from them. I try to remember what I've been doing with my life in place of getting out and playing all the time and know that time is coming for me now.
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Wed May 17, 2006 1:05 pm

LL

Great post!. Great responses from all the gang on BRB. Let me make my response short and sweet.

" Life is what happens when you had already made other plans. Press on!"

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 17, 2006 11:06 pm

Yes, and I don't have any regrets over the good choices I made around my child and home life. I will have regrets if I didn't keep on playing and going where I'm going. Like Tommy said, it's like you can't NOT do it. I would rather not imagine life without music and playing. HOWEVER, I did talk to my friend, Leonard, (Hey Leonard!) about this particular jam and he was saying it's really not a very friendly or supportive jam to put it mildly. Some of the people go out of their way to make it uncomfortable and mess up other musicians. So I'm heading out of town tonight where the people are cool and friendly. Any comments and ideas I got from these people were helpful and really valuable and not meant in any other way than the very best. So there it is...
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs