Possibly worst playing ever almost

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Possibly worst playing ever almost

Postby lorilu » Wed May 10, 2006 4:02 am

I went to my hometown jam last night for the second time and it more than sucked. I mean I sucked. I just don't know what the hll happened. It was like I just started playing and barely at that. I lost the beat a few times (horrifying). I know some of it might be a couple a mean people who are not very nice but I cannot let that affect my playing. I can't let them run me off again. Damn, I'm gonna have to practice my butt off probably to get over this. Has this happened to anyone else (I know it has) but why would this happen? Maybe like 601 told me that I am trying to fit in where I have already outgrown. But there are some good players there. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Possibly worst playing ever almost

Postby grady » Wed May 10, 2006 4:23 am

It's kinda like when you're playing BaseBall and get beaned by a Line Drive. You just shake it off and get back in there.

Just don't worry about it.
Everyone has a "off" night every now & then.

God knows I've had a few.

for every crappy gig you have, you'll have 20 great ones.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 am

You hang TUFF darlin!
DON'T allow thos people free rent in yer head!
I (along w/ I'm pretty sure the rest of yer BRB family) am/are w/ ya in spirt when yer up there, so USE da force LL!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Wed May 10, 2006 6:28 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 02:40 AM (EST)]Been there...
Done that...
Felt it...
Died of it...

OFTEN!

Just keep at it.

bf

PS:
"a couple a mean people who are not very nice...."
They are showing their insecurity. As he says - don't let them in.

"practice my butt off probably to get over this... I'm open to suggestions."

Golden Rule No.1: Practise and perfect some very simple and lyrical numbers - simple done well is always better than complicated done less than well.

Golden Rule No.2: Only play (and practise) at the speed that accommodates the trickiest bit (rather than the easiest bits) of any tune; and when performing it, don't be afraid of starting even slower than that. To play slowly actually takes a lot of guts, but it leaves you with lots of room to manoeuvre.

Golden Rule No.3: Keep at it - the more often and frequently you go out there, the easier it gets.
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed May 10, 2006 7:52 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 03:53 AM (EST)]What Grady, MickeyP and BF said pretty much sums it up neatly.
We all have those off-nights, and we all meet the occasional arseholes from time to time...
Don't worry, just keep playing.
stumblin
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:17 am

When you fall off a horse you must get back in the saddle.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby warren » Wed May 10, 2006 10:01 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 06:02 AM (EST)]>I know some of it might be a couple a mean people who are not
>very nice but I cannot let that affect my playing.

don't worry about mean people....karma will take care of them.

ww
warren
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed May 10, 2006 11:19 am

It happens to the seasoned pros...

I'll completely forget the 3rd verse of a song and end up singing the 2nd or 4th verse twice. The band will start a song in the wrong key and you just have to adjust and go with it, there's no starting over.

A lot of things can happen within a band to cause the drummer to drop the beat...false stops, false cues...and other players are not immune to speeding up or slowing down their playing. Unfortunately, most of this comes off as the drummer's fault when heard by the uninformed.

Bad days on stage are just as common as a bad day at work. Get back up there and strut your stuff-

Don't let the bastards wear you down !!!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 07:47 AM (EST)]Lori Also My emotions will trip me up!! sometimes I get so emotional with a song The emotion gets ahead of my playing,and I trip up,so I try ta keep muh self leveled off, But as fer as drums,I like a drummer that just holds the time,a very simple beat and a highlight,at the right moments,and lets the Bass set the groove!!Ihad a drummer that would get lost at times cuz he was tryin ta play with the song,but once he figured ta key in only on the Bass he was great!!And who sez its you!! maybe they jumped time and you just had ta catch up!! Ive seen a lotta bands that could not keep a steady time,And when you got a drummer that can, it will show up all da time!! maybe it was them not you!!
A good example is,In my studio I practise with a Boss 880 drum/rythym machine,its timing never changes,So ive trained my sence of timing to be as perfect as possiable, And have takin it to practise with other players,a lot of em say man turn dat thing off I don't like tha sound of it or some other lame excuse! When what is really going on is they cain't stay in time, when I mention that the responce is well dats the way da song goes!! BS timin is timin thats all ther is to it,You would be surprised how many just cannot stay in time,and that will smooth out a song and it flows!!SO Iam givin you the benifit of the doulbt, I think its them!! DO this sit back a really listen to them with another drummer,The song starts out OK they get into a somewhat of a grove! Then players The leads are the worst,he wants ta show off a little so he starts his thing!!suddenly things start speeding up with the lead player and gettin louder,Lead player gits more exicted and people start holleren and he gits Faster and the drummer speeds up and da bass plaer gits excited !!Timin HUH!!what Timin! Then you got a mess on yer hands!!WHEN do I stop???The phrase of the song is gone there is none!!Dats what seperates the Pros from da house Band!!TIMIN!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 08:30 AM (EST)]I know ther is a bunch of top Pros on this site,and I admire them all, and Iam sure they will all agree, Lori its much more fun and a lot easier to play with great artists than with Jamb groups!! I myself play my worst at some of those jams thats why I don't do em,my biggest flops has been at those things!!Thats what I mean about you being in da wrong place!!Remember, If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you always was!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Wed May 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Come on LL don't let em harsh your karma. Like the boys said, the chances of it being entirely on you are you divided by how many people are playing at that time.

And don't let em run you off. I don't go to my local jam anymore because it's just too loud. But I miss it every time it comes around, I like the guys there and I enjoyed playing with them but they kind of ran me off by not turning down. Stand your ground girl.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed May 10, 2006 12:28 pm

You'll be fine,LoriLu. One of the things I do when I'm headin' to a jam is to tell myself that it's not about how impressive I am,but how the music comes off. I pray about it a little,especially to remove my ego,and then jus' as I'm about to dive in,I say another quick little prayer. I've had a buncha terrible nights too...nights that make me wonder what I'm even doin' with this whole thing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed May 10, 2006 3:08 pm

>I went to my hometown jam last night for the second time and
>it more than sucked. I mean I sucked. I just don't know what
>the hll happened. It was like I just started playing and
>barely at that. I lost the beat a few times (horrifying). I
>know some of it might be a couple a mean people who are not
>very nice but I cannot let that affect my playing. I can't
>let them run me off again. Damn, I'm gonna have to practice
>my butt off probably to get over this. Has this happened to
>anyone else (I know it has) but why would this happen? Maybe
>like 601 told me that I am trying to fit in where I have
>already outgrown. But there are some good players there. I
>don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

Follow your heart. That will answer everything. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blindstanley1 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:23 pm

i used to see it alot with my dauhgter at a jam we used to go to., for some reason two or three of the cats thought it was a guitar jam and hated to give up the time to a young vocalist. they'd try to play over here and throw her off. but, instead of discouraging her, it taught her how to roll with it and get herself out of a tuff spot. a place she found herself quite often when we gigged together. sometimes i get so focused on listening to her sing i would forget where the hell i was and she would have to bail me out.
it would be great if every gig went flawlessly and every jam was a gem. but it ain't. so learn from it and stay mindful of what is good and what makes you happy.
ps. i see you're from ca. north or south?
regards
bs
blindstanley1
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed May 10, 2006 4:04 pm

I am from central California. Fresno area. Where are you from?
I do need to shake it off and get back.
Thanks so much for the helpful responses. I like the idea, Mickey, of bringing you all with me in spirit. And praying first. That has always helped me. Add more practice time, definitely, and lock in with the bass player. The jams ARE hard cause you don't know what they're playing. It is hard to open and count in when you really aren't sure what's being played. I definitely keep it simple and solid. That is not the main problem. When I lost it a few times I think I DID get caught up with the guitar players instead of the bass. I did not think I was speeding up but the bass player (my ex) turned and said, it's too fast, and then tried to get back insynch. He was playing so many damn notes I could not hear the bottom. So I told him, you're playing too many notes (bass player with guitar player syndrome). He had also been a jerk earlier as he plays regularly with the snaky female drummer that runs the jam. So who knows what really happened. She watches and controls. He lacks backbone and integrity. She acts like she is helping me and giving me advice but I think they are trying to undermine my confidence as she did years ago. I will not let her win this time. You would think that people our age would not act so weird but like everyone said, it must be insecurity.

There are a few good players who are supportive. This is probably really good for getting a thicker skin which I really do need. The out of town jam is tonight. This is a group of really sweet and encouraging people. It is very far away for me so I go when I can. This jam helps me to build confidence. It seems so easy to play well and relaxed in that kind of environment. I think when and if it is time to move on from the hometown jam it will probably be clear. Thanks so much!
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs